The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Seeing what Fiala went for today, part of me is sort of prepared that Allvin may not get exactly this drastic full package like many (media/fans) have exaggerated that it will be. Part of me isn't convinced we will see such a drastic improvement over the Chytil, Lundqvist, 1st offer.

Seeing how NYR is now reportedly interested in Dubois (who may be a better fit in general), LA getting Fiala, and Washington considering Kadri, some options are potentially drying up. The bidding war may not be as big as I had first thought it would be. Should be interesting how things shake out in the next week. 

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Seeing what Fiala went for today, part of me is sort of prepared that Allvin may not get exactly this drastic full package like many (media/fans) have exaggerated that it will be. Part of me isn't convinced we will see such a drastic improvement over the Chytil, Lundqvist, 1st offer.

Seeing how NYR is now reportedly interested in Dubois (who may be a better fit in general), LA getting Fiala, and Washington considering Kadri, some options are potentially drying up. The bidding war may not be as big as I had first thought it would be. Should be interesting how things shake out in the next week. 

Satiar Shah responding to some comments over twitter:

• Could get a bit more for Miller maybe but probably not significantly more. It’s usually how these trades are 2 really good pieces or 3-4 pretty good ones
  • Ya but the Kings are extending Fiala so they paid that price because they’re getting security. This is a really good package, it’s like Schneider & the 19th overall pick, something NYR didn’t want to do
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Dreger is reporting that we are interested in young players and not picks.

Would not be shocked to see a return like:

Necas+bear+Morrow

This would be fantastic return for Miller.   

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Satiar Shah responding to some comments over twitter:

• Could get a bit more for Miller maybe but probably not significantly more. It’s usually how these trades are 2 really good pieces or 3-4 pretty good ones
  • Ya but the Kings are extending Fiala so they paid that price because they’re getting security. This is a really good package, it’s like Schneider & the 19th overall pick, something NYR didn’t want to do

I would take Schneider and 19. As long as we don't blow any cap saving on ufas

Edited by Mustard Tiger

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The more I think about Malkin hitting UFA the more I like the idea of getting the haul for JT & bringing Geno in as the replacement.

Sat has mentioned the most the Canucks would be willing to go is 6 years, and Zibanejad is the obvious comparable.

Malkin on the other hand is turning 36 and wouldnt be able to command as much term 

So would u rather 8.5 x 6 for Miller? or maybe, 7.5-8 x 2 for Malkin - plus the package you get for Miller? 

Geno's not a 90-100 pt player at this stage, but was still PPG. And when u talk about building a culture, he's been there before and won't be coming to a team to just collect a paycheck & lose.

Malkin for 2. Have him mentor Petey like Sundin did for the Sedins.

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, RWJC said:

But what good is 60-70pts from a guy who will likely also spend a fair bit of time on IR? The loss of that level of player offsets the point production and invariably creates another top role hole to fill. 

Imho, money and TOI is better spent on someone who we will have long term and integrate into our core group going forward.

Malkin on the Nux is akin to Sundin or Messier 2.0.

he’d just be playing out his last hurrah, and I think that belongs back in PIT if they can make the money work.

Your never going to fully replace Miller with 1 player, the way you do it is by bringing in another point producing top 6/top line fwd, and Pettersson taking a step to be consistent all year. Pettersson is the replacement.

Injuries are a concern with Malkin, that's also why you have some leverage to get him on a short term deal (on top of his age).

A Sundin 2.0 scenario is what you want, except Malkin is a little younger (35 vs 37 for Mats) & he's not taking the break to decide if he wants to play, so he should have more game left.

Ideally you get 70+ points out of Malkin - or atleast that pace - to help replace the production lost in the short term, he can help shake up the culture & be someone the young players learn from as they take those leadership roles (Petey, Hughes, Podz), and you also maintain the flexibility in the long term you wouldn't have with Miller. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I just can’t imagine the rangers not being the ones to make the deal happen.

Schneider + for Miller just makes so much sense for both sides.

I’m convinced this is the deal that gets done. 

Especially if they lose Copp.

but if they target PLD that would kill this

Winnipeg offers rich young players in the tip top shape of their physical career and pockets full of cash, the excellent museum of human rights, three good restaurants, and a couple of  bars where if the crowd isn’t in one, they’re in the other.

New York is a tetramall from downtown to midtown. THOUSANDS. of restaurants of all Worley cultures. 

Idannaaaaaaaaaaa…..

Maybe the PLD is on to something…

13 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Dreger is reporting that we are interested in young players and not picks.

Would not be shocked to see a return like:

Necas+bear+Morrow

Yuck. In the grand scheme of things yes you want guys who can  play right now. But it doesn't need to be from the initial Miller trade. 

I would 100000000x rather get picks then waste a dime of cap space on bear. 3/4 of the league who don't want Miller, Would want draft picks. You flip those picks from the initial Miller trade to target literally any player in the league.

Media needs to learn this. It's not hard to understand

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Your never going to fully replace Miller with 1 player, the way you do it is by bringing in another point producing top 6/top line fwd, and Pettersson taking a step to be consistent all year. Pettersson is the replacement.

Injuries are a concern with Malkin, that's also why you have some leverage to get him on a short term deal (on top of his age).

A Sundin 2.0 scenario is what you want, except Malkin is a little younger (35 vs 37 for Mats) & he's not taking the break to decide if he wants to play, so he should have more game left.

Ideally you get 70+ points out of Malkin - or atleast that pace - to help replace the production lost in the short term, he can help shake up the culture & be someone the young players learn from as they take those leadership roles (Petey, Hughes, Podz), and you also maintain the flexibility in the long term you wouldn't have with Miller. 

Why not just sign Miller…

Why when you have one of the shiniest toys in the sandbox would ever want to exchange it for three smaller toys?

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

JT Miller is better than Fiala.

Faber>Lundkvist

LA Kings 1rst>NYR 1rst 

And Chytil is limited offensively and can’t win facoffs he’s looking like a bottom 6 winger. I’d honestly rather have Faber, LA’s 1rst and the cap space then Lundkvist, NYR 1rst and Chytil.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Why not just sign Miller…

Why when you have one of the shiniest toys in the sandbox would ever want to exchange it for three smaller toys?

Because

1) you maintain flexibility in the long term, when Miller's contract might be an issue.

2) it's a shakeup to the team/culture

3) you replace the production (or close enough to it) AND get a haul of assets. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I hear what you’re saying and it makes sense to me. Still, I’d rather see us go another route. if I was Malkin I’d want to chase one last cup, rather than sign my retirement deal to help out my old GM. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Yuck. In the grand scheme of things yes you want guys who can  play right now. But it doesn't need to be from the initial Miller trade. 

I would 100000000x rather get picks then waste a dime of cap space on bear. 3/4 of the league who don't want Miller, Would want draft picks. You flip those picks from the initial Miller trade to target literally any player in the league.

Media needs to learn this. It's not hard to understand

Per!

Peh!

Tchu!

Al!

Ree!

buil!!

Per!

Peh!

Tchu!

Al!

Ree!

Bui……..

Oh wait….

I thought this was a Cup aspiration team rally.

Sorry wrong room.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This would be fantastic return for Miller.   

Agreed. I feel like there's a lot of pressure on Carolina too. While it would also be smart to be patient with a player like Necas (because he's a hell of a player), getting ousted in the 2nd round was a MAJOR disappointment for a team that had much higher expectations. A player like Miller could have helped them win that series against the Rags, whereas Necas was nowhere to be found.

Necas might benefit from a change of scenery. And he definitely fits the mantra of getting younger and faster.