The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

17 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He’s already said he’s going to FA so they don’t really have a choice in the matter. 

They also have 2 years to change his mind or hold out for a kings ransom type trade offer.   I doubt he gets moved this year.

Edited by Screw

10 minutes ago, Screw said:

They also have 2 years to change his mind or hold out for a longs ransom trade offer.   I doubt he gets moved this year.

They can also maximize their return with two years left on his deal rather than 1 or less. 

29 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

They can also maximize their return with two years left on his deal rather than 1 or less. 

There's typically a better return with an extension in place - 2 year rental vs long term solution.  Friedman thinks they are going to do like with Trouba and hold on to him till the final year on the hope he changes his mind. 

Miller and the #15 to NJ for the #2 (Slafkovsky)

Offer sheet Noah Dobson, from a cap strapped NYI team

= Bright future

Slafkovsky - Pettersson - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Podkolzin

Hughes - Dobson

• Cheers 2

I'm of the opinion that NJD really want Slafkovsky (LW).  Their current roster has a ton of centres, including recent 1st. overall picks Hischier and Hughes who are still young so any centre selected by them will have to wait a while before being 1st. or 2nd. liners.  So, if Montreal selects Slafkovsky with the 1OA pick, the next 2 rated picks being centres NJD may well be inclined to consider Miller (also a LW with a proven track record) for the 2OA pick.  Essentially, NJD 2OA pick being available may depend entirely on who Montreal selects.

74 hours and counting..............

Cheers.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Miller - Hughes - Bratt

Zacha - Hischier - Mercer/Bastian

Devils are missing a passionate leader for all of their young talent, to take them to the next level

Yup.  Miller would be perfect for them. 

2OA would be perfect for us.

get ‘er done JR! :frantic:

17 minutes ago, singing chef said:

I'm of the opinion that NJD really want Slafkovsky (LW).  Their current roster has a ton of centres, including recent 1st. overall picks Hischier and Hughes who are still young so any centre selected by them will have to wait a while before being 1st. or 2nd. liners.  So, if Montreal selects Slafkovsky with the 1OA pick, the next 2 rated picks being centres NJD may well be inclined to consider Miller (also a LW with a proven track record) for the 2OA pick.  Essentially, NJD 2OA pick being available may depend entirely on who Montreal selects.

Cheers.

Rumor mill is suggesting that NJ is ready,  willing and able to offer MTL a deal to secure the player they want at #2.  In other words they're prepared to pay MTL to not pick their guy so he's still available to them. Pay with what/whom is anyone's guess?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Rumor mill is suggesting that NJ is ready,  willing and able to offer MTL a deal to secure the player they want at #2.  In other words they're prepared to pay MTL to not pick their guy so he's still available to them. Pay with what/whom is anyone's guess?

That's a hell of a bold move if true since the top 2 are so close together.  By picking second, you avoid any blame if you guess wrong.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, singing chef said:

Cheers.

I dont think there's a chance in hell ,a team is going to give up a 2nd OA for an almost 30 year old player

Edited by Honky Cat

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

That's a hell of a bold move if true since the top 2 are so close together.  By picking second, you avoid any blame if you guess wrong.

Agreed,  but definitely within the realm of possibility if NJ has identified the exact player they covet - which I believe is Slapshotsky. He seems to be about as sure a top 6 forward as there is in this draft who should, because of his physical gifts,  be able to contribute almost immediately. 

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Agreed,  but definitely within the realm of possibility if NJ has identified the exact player they covet - which I believe is Slapshotsky. He seems to be about as sure a top 6 forward as there is in this draft who should, because of his physical gifts,  be able to contribute almost immediately. 

I think you're right, but I also think Montreal is likely leaning towards Wright.

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Jersey isn’t giving the Habs old pucks for anything.  They will pick Slafkovsky because the Habs are selecting the next BUSTAROO BONSAI Shane (I was a man at 12) Wright.  Habs suck socks. 

Edited by Alflives

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Ok so you’re bored due to the present situation.

Got it.

And you don’t think that assembling what may be the most talent in one management room in the history of the club, and when all is said and done, perhaps in league history may be a good indication that things are going to do a 180 in short distance?

The pieces are there. They’re playing at a .638 click. That’s not nothing. That’s playoff territory.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hi, welcome to the trade Miller thread that should address most of those concerns.

You might also like the trade Myers thread for the same reasons!

I'm not bored with the present situation, I'm actually excited with changes coming.

I'm bored personally.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I dont think there's a chance in hell ,a team is going to give up a 2nd OA for an almost 30 year old player

You may well be correct;  I was merely speculating on the rationale behind the possibility.  Got to do something for the next 74 hours !

Cheers. :gocan:

• Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Well then let’s just keep our 99 point man heading into his contract year. Have a full training camp under Bruce. Make the playoffs, and see what happens ::D

6 minutes ago, BobbyClarke said:

Well then let’s just keep our 99 point man heading into his contract year. Have a full training camp under Bruce. Make the playoffs, and see what happens ::D

And risk him getting hurt, coming back down to earth or leave for nothing?

Solid plan

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I see too many problems to just tinker around the edges like this and then max cap out on our current squad ... yet again. As someone mentioned this is the Benning plan and we've seen it clearly doesn't work as he so desperately hoped each year. As @AC Readership mentioned this would be utterly boring and a waste of time imo. I would be tempted to say this would be the first time in 20 years I won't watch all the games ... but of course I'd watch anyway but against my will. -_-

not sure how moving those guys is the 'Benning plan'? it could open the door to some big changes in how the team can play. 

2 hours ago, mll said:

4th in the division and 8th in the West in 2022 (or from Christmas onwards - it's the same rankings).  CGY 5th, EDM 10th and LAK 12th with Vancouver at 15th league wide playing at 0.608 after the Christmas break.  Nashville would have been edged out of the top-8.

Rutherford guarded against over-valuing those initial games talking about coaching-bump and playing mostly backup goalies.  They weren't seen as a threat initially given how poorly they were playing before the coaching change, so ignoring those initial games before the holiday break.

They were a bubble team and that's with Miller having a 99pt season with the bulk of his production under Boudreau.  Pettersson was also over ppg in 2022. 

Calgary would likely take a step back if they lose Gaudreau but Vegas should rebound.  Edmonton shouldn't be worse.  Boudreau thinks LAK improved quite a bit with last week's trade.  At least 4 teams in the mix and there's the Central who grabbed both wildcard spots last season.  It's not about next season though but becoming perennial contenders.  

LAK was right with them over that stretch as a team coming out of a rebuild with one of the highest ranked prospect pools and deep with RDs. The Canucks could be in tough to compete with them in the years ahead if they don't start building their prospect pool.

Very well said. A couple of Canuck fans are blind to the reality of how bad our team structure was. If not for heroics of Petey, Miller, Hughes, Bo and Demko this is a bad hockey team that needs some major work. No two ways about it.