The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

any deal could be contingent of a 2022 1st round pick and a certain prospect being available...I don't think that is the case fully but it could be. JT is NOT walking as a UFA by 4pm today so I am not concerned at all this might happen after FA opens...The team should NOT risk keeping JT going into the season unless we extend him. A prime asset should NOT be risked playing out his final year, 1 injury and BOOM Canucks fail to trade JT at the TDL in 2023...that would warrant CDC crashing but not 4pm draft today

• Cheers 4

7 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think the vast majority of people like Miller, but are in the camp of the longer term play by getting organization depth (Me and 50%) vs we are ready so we need to secure our star player (The other 50%).  I think Miller is a very good player, but classifying him as a franchise type player is a bit of a stretch.  We need to meet our organizational needs while his value is highest.

Excellent post which jibes with my thinking.

Anyway, been busy this afternoon and missed a whole bunch of pages in here. I’m assuming I didn’t miss much.

• Cheers 1

Ar this point. If Montreal picks Slavakosky, Jersey may trade the second for Miller. Maybe the Rags come through last second with a legit offer. But if the offers aren't there and legit. Ffmm, they are missing out on a real game changer in JT. 

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

any deal could be contingent of a 2022 1st round pick and a certain prospect being available...I don't think that is the case fully but it could be. JT is NOT walking as a UFA by 4pm today so I am not concerned at all this might happen after FA opens...The team should NOT risk keeping JT going into the season unless we extend him. A prime asset should NOT be risked playing out his final year, 1 injury and BOOM Canucks fail to trade JT at the TDL in 2023...that would warrant CDC crashing but not 4pm draft today

Boom!  You nailed it right on the head.  It would also breed an absolutely toxic environment if he goes in to next season with no extension.  Although I'd like to see him traded today, it's no biggie to me if he isn't.  

• Cheers 2

Facts:

-nobody knows exactly what was offered for Miller 

-nobody knows for sure who even made an offer 

-nobody knows what contract dollar/term was offered by JR

-nobody knows what Miller's contract ask is/was

-this organization is devoid of blue-chip young non-roster assets which isn't a good situation to be in

-this organization has some nice pieces,  but still,  we weren't good enough 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Locke Lamora said:

Excellent post which jibes with my thinking.

Anyway, been busy this afternoon and missed a whole bunch of pages in here. I’m assuming I didn’t miss much.

Literally nothing. You have missed nothing since  November....

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

Assuming he wants to be there, which it doesn't sound like he does.  Also sounds like his leadership style isn't appreciated by many hockey guys out there

I've never heard anything from him other than he loves Vancouver.

Everything saying that he doesn't is media hearsay and speculation.

He is a really good player, and I'm sure his ask on salary isn't unreasonable in terms of where his game is now.

If he was willing to sign for 8 years at say 7 million, as opposed to 5 years for 8.5 million per, I'd be pretty good with taking the chance to keep him.

13 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Crazy last minute thought. What about Miller for Weegar?

Not a crazy idea, especially if we can negotiate a half-reasonable extension for Weegar. He's a top 10 defenseman in the league--even better than Hughes, I'd argue.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Ar this point. If Montreal picks Slavakosky, Jersey may trade the second for Miller. Maybe the Rags come through last second with a legit offer. But if the offers aren't there and legit. Ffmm, they are missing out on a real game changer in JT. 

Every year some bonehead GM panics and overpays big time for someone.  Why can't we reap the benefits for once?  "Jim!  We missed out on Fiala and Debrincat!  We'll pay whatever it takes!  AAHHH!" 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Ooh, interesting trade offer I saw

Lundkvist, Kravtsov, Kakko, and a conditional 1st (if JT re-signs in NYR)

Interesting idea, but their ability to keep him, this far out from him being UFA, shouldn't be our problem. At the deadline, I could see that type of deal.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I've never heard anything from him other than he loves Vancouver.

Everything saying that he doesn't is media hearsay and speculation.

He is a really good player, and I'm sure his ask on salary isn't unreasonable in terms of where his game is now.

If he was willing to sign for 8 years at say 7 million, as opposed to 5 years for 8.5 million per, I'd be pretty good with taking the chance to keep him.

Just wondering when was the last time you heard a NHL player actually say they hate their current city and will leave as soon as possible?

For the most part they all say the same stuff.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Ooh, interesting trade offer I saw

Lundkvist, Kravtsov, Kakko, and a conditional 1st (if JT re-signs in NYR)

New CBA states you can't put conditions on draft picks on the basis of a player re-signing or not.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Facts:

-nobody knows exactly what was offered for Miller 

-nobody knows for sure who even made an offer 

-nobody knows what contract dollar/term was offered by JR

-nobody knows what Miller's contract ask is/was

-this organization is devoid of blue-chip young non-roster assets which isn't a good situation to be in

-this organization has some nice pieces,  but still,  we weren't good enough 

The last two are the important ones!  What we as fans know really isn't relevant.  

Just now, Chris12345 said:

Just wondering when was the last time you heard a NHL player actually say they hate their current city and will leave as soon as possible?

For the most part they all say the same stuff.

They don't, and they don't tell the media that either, which is my point about it being total speculation.

• Like 1