The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

13 hours ago, Me_ said:

Scrolled up one page. 

Absolutely nothing in here is worth what Miller is to the Canucks youth experience.

Being exposed to such a hungry hockey heart, day in day out, makes everyone else that much hungry.

They grow on the same one and only tree that births hockey heroes.

Instead of businessing, consider the view of Miller scoring the game winner in a Stanley Cup final game.

And you know he can.

You don’t think Miller is enjoying playing under a clout of NHL heavies that won Cups?

He’s in heaven right now. He’s not going anywhere. All the right people know it.

Signed,

Förtpoyndts Autoff Wildkäärd

If we could in any way be certain (or close to it) that he was going to re-sign here then I agree with you.

But we simply cannot afford to lose him for nothing because chances are we won't be competing during the remainder of his contract.

Unless management has some sort of magical plan of making us a legit contender next season... doubtful considering our cap situation.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Miller has been great, but we need to remember, that with Miller's performance and drive we are still a .500 team.

I agree, Miller has been great, but they should be thinking more about the future success of the team. That means better younger players and prospects, more high draft picks who could join the team in coming years.  They don't have much there right now. Miller and Motte seem to be peaking in their prime right now (and at their highest value), but the rest of the team doesn't seem to be. 

Petterson, Hughes, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Boeser, (Klimovich) are all 24 or younger and still learning. Some still need to get stronger and bulk up. Might be a couple of years before they're ready to really compete. 

Horvat, Garland, Pearson and OEL are all really good support guys I hope they can keep

Trade: Miller, Motte, Schenn and Halak

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, Miller has been great, but they should be thinking more about the future success of the team. That means better younger players and prospects, more high draft picks who could join the team in coming years.  They don't have much there right now. Miller and Motte seem to be peaking in their prime right now (and at their highest value), but the rest of the team doesn't seem to be. 

Petterson, Hughes, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Boeser, (Klimovich) are all 24 or younger and still learning. Some still need to get stronger and bulk up. Might be a couple of years before they're ready to really compete. 

Horvat, Garland, Pearson and OEL are all really good support guys I hope they can keep

Trade: Miller, Motte, Schenn and Halak

This is exactly it, and I think Canucks management sees it this way too.  Miller's value is at an all time high, so we cash in.  Motte (Lockwood is the future replacement) and Halak should also be moved.  Because Schenn get's very little in return, I would just keep him until the wheels fall off as he brings something to an emerging team (Unless Juulson does that now).    

• Cheers 1

Well this week should be interesting.  All the main voices are in place and we have a big break coming up after tomorrow.  We have 6 days between games, and I don't recall there being a roster freeze for the all-star break.

With Covid and travel stuff it is really hard to make moves since you need to make sure you have bodies in place to replace the guys moving out.

If any trades are close to being sorted out, the first chip could fall later this week.

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Erikson Ek would fit the bill too.  And Addison is the young RHD we would need added to a Minn trade.

4 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Addison would be a good add, but Schneider would be a much better piece.  He adds some size and physicality on top of good puck moving.  He actually has some OEL similarities in his play and think he would be a much bigger piece than we think.  If we can add a high end forward and a 1st on top of Schneider, we should move on that as soon as we can.  

I'm a real big fan of Addison. The guy has a great understanding of the game and absolutely terrific offensive instincts. A little on the small side but I'd be awfully enticed by a deal with him in it. Fiala is a bit of a prick but he's pretty good.

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Link?

Ha, sorry I was just messing around a bit. He hasn't said it literally but he's never even come out with a half-assed statement saying he'd like to win a Cup here, he believes in the team, or any scrap at all committing to the Canucks in the future.

Also add to that he never asked to be traded here in the first place and he's in a position to write his own ticket. Factor in that he's spent the majority of his time suffering through crappy Covid seasons and the team is in a state or retooling. As an American who will probably be a star in the next Olympics I don't see anything whatsoever suggesting he's going to sign a retirement contract to play out his career in Canada.

It would be a massive mistake not to trade him if the rumors of teams chasing him are true.

• Cheers 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:41 AM, stawns said:

I don't think BS is as important to the Rags as that.  He's going to be a solid #2-3 defensive dman, but he's not going to be the guy you buiod around, they have Fox for that.  However, he is exactly what the Canucks need on the right side in the next season or two.

As I mentioned numerous times, Gallant had a keen interest in Schneider prior to taking the job in NY. He raved about him when he coached him at the Worlds. My guess is they are moulding him to eventually takeover Trouba’s role on the team.

In his short stint in the league, he’s already playing in key situations in the absence of Fox. He’s probably their #1 prospects in the system and would take a massive impact young player, who fits their core age, in order to pry him away.

If they weren’t willing to give up Schneider in a Eichel deal, what makes people think they will for Miller? 

I know, Eichel has had a career alternating injury, but he’s still has the past pedigree of an “elite” talent. Plus, we seen other athletes who had similar surgery, play at an high level after their neck fusion surgery (Peyton Manning).

2 minutes ago, shiznak said:

As I mentioned numerous times, Gallant had a keen interest in Schneider prior to taking the job in NY. He raved about him when he coached him at the Worlds. My guess is they are moulding him to eventually takeover Trouba’s role on the team.

In his short stint in the league, he’s already playing in key situations in the absence of Fox. He’s probably their #1 prospects in the system and would take a massive impact young player, who fits their core age, in order to pry him away.

If they weren’t willing to give up Schneider in a Eichel deal, what makes people think they will for Miller? 

I know, Eichel has had a career alternating injury, but he’s still has the past pedigree of an “elite” talent. Plus, we seen other athletes who had similar surgery, play at an high level after their neck fusion surgery (Peyton Manning).

He's also a $10m cap hit.  Thats huge.  

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's also a $10m cap hit.  Thats huge.  

26-yrs old Jack Eichel at 10M signed for 4 more years or 30-yrs old JT Miller at 8M+ signed for 6+ more years (if the Rangers manage to re-sign him)?

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Russo reporting Greenway is getting an extension.

So if Minny is a legit landing spot, that's one piece off the table.

That leaves Fiala and Rossi, at least when it comes to NHL ready chips.

Russo doesn't think their interest in Miller is serious for this TDL.  Wild likely won't have the cap space to extend Fiala so he would have probably been their principal in a Miller trade.  

Fiala and Boldy have found instant chemistry since Boldy got brought up and with all the lines going so well he doesn't think they want to remove from their active roster.   He thinks they want to find a C to play between them.  Thinks they could target Pavelski or Giroud. 

Minnesota are going to have 13-15M in dead cap starting next season (an 8M increase from this season followed by another 2M the season after).  They need cheap players on ELCs and Rossi, Boldy, Addison as well as Wallstedt are considered to be their untouchables. 

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Russo doesn't think their interest in Miller is serious for this TDL.  Wild likely won't have the cap space to extend Fiala so he would have probably been their principal in a Miller trade.  

Fiala and Boldy have found instant chemistry since Boldy got brought up and with all the lines going so well he doesn't think they want to remove from their active roster.   He thinks they want to find a C to play between them.  Thinks they could target Pavelski or Giroud. 

Minnesota are going to have 13-15M in dead cap starting next season (an 8M increase from this season followed by another 2M the season after).  They need cheap players on ELCs and Rossi, Boldy, Addison as well as Wallstedt are considered to be their untouchables. 

Yeah I wouldn't think Minny would be all that interested, I was surprised when their name came up.

I wouldn't think we would have much interest in Fiala as the main piece coming back for Miller, either.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, shiznak said:

This may all have some truth to it but it's just conjecture with a lot of supposition. Gallant may like Schnieder a lot but that doesn't mean he's going to quit if he's traded or that Miller isn't exactly what he wants for the playoffs either. He's also not the GM.

The following article indicates the major sticking points were Laf or Kakko and the $10 in salary. Do you have any links were they said Schnieder is off the table? Also in the article it speaks about the need to address the center position by the end of the year.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2021/11/04/jack-eichel-trade-ny-rangers-vegas-golden-knights/6281431001/

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This may all have some truth to it but it's just conjecture with a lot of supposition. Gallant may like Schnieder a lot but that doesn't mean he's going to quit if he's traded or that Miller isn't exactly what he wants for the playoffs either. He's also not the GM.

The following article indicates the major sticking points were Laf or Kakko and the $10 in salary. Do you have any links we're they said Schnieder is off the table? Also in the article it speaks about the need to address the center position by the end of the year.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2021/11/04/jack-eichel-trade-ny-rangers-vegas-golden-knights/6281431001/

Yeah, you know what coaches like better than a player they're fond of? A better shot at a cup NOW. That's what.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

The following article indicates the major sticking points were Laf or Kakko and the $10 in salary. Do you have any links were they said Schnieder is off the table? Also in the article it speaks about the need to address the center position by the end of the year.

Per Elliotte Friedman on the 31 Thoughts Pod, clipped by Tom Urtz, the Rangers and Sabres are nowhere near close on a potential Jack Eichel trade. What the Rangers are offering and what the Sabres are asking don’t have any matches, thus a deal may not happen. Given that this didn’t happen at the draft and the Rangers wound up selecting at #15, this shouldn’t be much of a surprise.

The Sabres were asking for the Rangers “top young players on the roster” or “the likes of Nils Lundkvist and Braden Schneider” and the “Rangers wouldn’t go there.” Those were the key snippets from Friedman’s segment on Eichel. This should give fans a bit of a sigh of relief, given some of the recent moves that have shaken confidence in Chris Drury. Seriously – I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Fan Confidence Poll so low so early on in voting.

https://blueseatblogs.com/2021/07/26/rangers-sabres-not-close-on-jack-eichel-package/

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I'd be hopeful there is some loosening of that position. If they're the ones calling at the deadline hopefully they're willing to pay the heightened price. Obviously his contract right now is a huge bonus as is the fact he's not dealing with a career threatening injury. Having the season turning out so well is also a reason to further consider moving one of these guys. Hopefully lol! Thanks for the link.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Miller has all but said trade me to a contender while you can. We have nothing against Vancouver but my family and I are out of here as soon as possible.

He's as good as gone. We're just waiting for the best deal. Lol sorry to break it to you but you'll be thanking me in 3 years.

I would like some sort of proof 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, shiznak said:

To be fair, situation is vastly different. There was still a lot of questions around Eichel's health (still are in fact, even if slightly less now) and his very large cap hit. They were also in off season, not near the top of the league heading towards playoffs. And that link also states they weren't wanting to give up Lundqvist either, not just Schneider as you implied.

None of that suggests that now in playoff position, with a very solid chance, that they wouldn't be willing to give up some of their over abundance of D depth for 2 runs with a healthy, productive, $5.25m (or less, with retention) Miller.

• Vintage 2

Seravalli reported a few days ago that NYR, BOS, MIN and CGY are interested in JT Miller

One of the trades proposed I've seen is:

to BOS - Miller, Poolman and 3rd (2022)

to VAN - Carlo, Debrusk and 1st (2022)

The money works out almost even

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Seravalli reported a few days ago that NYR, BOS, MIN and CGY are interested in JT Miller

One of the trades proposed I've seen is:

to BOS - Miller, Poolman and 3rd (2022)

to VAN - Carlo, Debrusk and 1st (2022)

The money works out almost even

Thoughts?

Rather keep Miller honestly

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1