The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

8 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Thanks! To me the logic behind it is that at base you only have 6 D spots, whereas F has 12.

To me that makes the back end farrrr more valuable and important to build off of, especially when those 6 share the brunt of it versus 12 others when it comes to ice time breakdown, usage and reliability/dependency.

To have come this far without having built a solid top 4 D already is somewhat ludicrous given the demand on that position.

Now, it’s owed to Demko and QH to support this area as first priority. 

We can't just keep throwing out squab on RD and expecting better results. :P

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There is the issue with Miller that he’s very likely not signing another contract with us unless we grossly overpay.  We need to trade him before this year’s TDL to maximize his value.  

We certainly won't be getting him for peanuts if he does re-sign, that's for sure. But I don't think any team outside of a contender or tax friendly state will get him on a deal that has people going "man, that's a great deal". 

I'm def on the trade Miller train. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We certainly won't be getting him for peanuts if he does re-sign, that's for sure. But I don't think any team outside of a contender or tax friendly state will get him on a deal that has people going "man, that's a great deal". 

I'm def on the trade Miller train. 

Between Miller, Garland, and Boeser, who do we keep?  

48 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I just read the actual link.  A Garland for Lysell trade is pretty intriguing.  Or Garland + for Lysell and Debrusk.

It helps free up cap space to the point (with another trade) we may actually be able to get under the LTIR and be able to bank some dollars and avoid pushing bonuses into next year.

We do have a bunch of potential overages, I haven’t really been tracking who is owed what aside from the oft mentioned Halak bonus.  Managing to get well under the cap for the rest of this season would pay huge dividends next year and could be the difference in being able to sign a guy like Motte rather than some fringe minimum wage NHLer.

Edited by Provost
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Between Miller, Garland, and Boeser, who do we keep?  

I'd keep Garland for sure, because of his age and drive. He brings a lot of the same things Miller does via his play style imo. He's tenacious, plays bigger than he is, and typically puts in a good effort night in and night out. He's got similar drive, plays with heart, he's actually one of the reasons I'm fine with moving Miller. You like to have guys like Miller on your team, but those guys don't have to be Miller. Garland has struggled of late, but he's not alone in that. 

I'd move Miller. I'm also open to moving Boeser though, though Boeser's in a bit of an odd spot. 

He's a pending RFA with a large qualifying offer, he's a forward who's shown he's capable of being an offensive contributor every season up til now, and he's a player you're probably selling low on if you move him imo. There's a fair chance he bounces back, Pettersson's struggled this season too for whatever reason(s), and that he may be receptive to a longer term deal with a smaller cap hit. Boeser could honestly go either way. Though despite my saying we'd probably be selling low, that doesn't mean I don't think we could get something of value for him. He's still valuable, he just inspires less confidence than he did at the end of last season. 

I think Miller probably goes. Garland? Maybe, but I'd rather he stay given his age and deal. Boeser? I think what happens with Boeser honestly depends on who JR an Al want from their top six and what they could potentially get from him. Boeser's got a great shot (or at least he did at one point) and he's an underrated passer imo, but he's not exactly fast or gritty. If management decides they want to add other elements to our top six he may be the guy who's moved to bolster another area of the roster and open up a top six slot. 

Edited by Coconuts

5 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Rumour dujour

Miller to BOS for Debrusk, Lysell, 1st

Not enough imo… tho I do love me some Lysell

They'd have to add, we'd be doing them a favour by taking Debrusk. Taking him is basically them dumping him on someone because he wants out at this point. 

Average size, pending RFA, numbers haven't been great. I'm not interested in Debrusk and he doesn't move the needle. He's neutral value at best. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Rumour dujour

Miller to BOS for Debrusk, Lysell, 1st

Not enough imo… tho I do love me some Lysell

Offer seems very meh. Lysell is good but an undersized winger prospect (Hoglander type), Debrusk is a 35-45 point winger and a late first. There’s no way that’s the best offer on the table. Boston just doesn’t seem to have the right prospects for me to really get excited about a deal.

• Upvote 1

I'm a few pages late, but wanted to put in

J.T. Millers best year, points wise before becoming a Canuck was 56 points, in 82 games with the Rangers 2016-17

As a Canuck Miller  scored 72 points in 2019-20

Bo Horvat's best  is 61  in 82 games  during 2018-19.

So I don't see a huge drop off.

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 4