The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller will transition back to wing, especially as he ages.  Petey and Bo will be our top two centres.  

I see Miller at 7.75 for seven years and Bo at 6.75 for eight years as good contracts for us. 

Get ‘er done JR! :frantic:

Those numbers are probably pretty close, Alf! Might have to squeeze Bo up a little closer to 7 to get him locked in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Those numbers are probably pretty close, Alf! Might have to squeeze Bo up a little closer to 7 to get him locked in.

What nice about getting these two contracts done now is both players are locked up long term, but their new contracts don’t start until the 23/24 season.  Trading Garland for futures covers both Miller’s and Bo’s increases too.  

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller will transition back to wing, especially as he ages.  Petey and Bo will be our top two centres.  

I see Miller at 7.75 for seven years and Bo at 6.75 for eight years as good contracts for us. 

Get ‘er done JR! :frantic:

Those would be manageable and fair but I don’t think JT will sign a deal like that. I really hope he will.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What nice about getting these two contracts done now is both players are locked up long term, but their new contracts don’t start until the 23/24 season.  Trading Garland for futures covers both Miller’s and Bo’s increases too.  

I think Garland is our most likely guy to be moved.

The fact it is taking this long for Kadri to get a deal done bodes well for the Canucks re-signing Miller.  Clearly, the market to sign a 30yo+ player isn't as lucrative as some might think.  Teams are not lining up to sign these 30yo+ guys to 8 year deals.  Surely Miller and his camp have come to this realization.

I bet Kadri signs a 6 year deal under $8M AAV, which will set the tone for the negotiations with Miller.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ehhh we have no need to treat guys who have value both in the trade route and to the team being used as dumps to make up cap space. Over half the cap is used up in filler... non important players. That's where the money will come from. 

Utilizing Garland to get a D is the better route. But considering the deal he's on... hang onto him for 2 more years.. maybe he hits 70 or so points on a 4.9 deal with a couple years left... Man that's some value..

Not to mention in two year maybe one of lekki or mcdount are ready to take his spot. Double win

• Cheers 1

Just now, Spoosh said:

Those would be manageable and fair but I don’t think JT will sign a deal like that. I really hope he will.

I wonder if JT believes he will get an offer for more than 7.75 x 7 July 1, 2023?  In this flat cap era (heck, in the cap era) has there been a 30 year old UFA forward sign, with a club not his own, to over 50 million?  I guess we will see with Kadri the market for such UFAs.  

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, mll said:

They need Laine far more than a C - Laine has 50 goal potential with Gaudreau as his playmaker.  Gaudreau can drive the line from the wing.  

I don't agree at all. 

Columbus C lineup is currently:
Roslovic

Jenner

Kurlay

That is not good at all. Those guys are honestly more 3Cs then top 6, maybe you can say Roslovic or Jenner can be a 2C, but on a great team they would be a 3C. Miller is currently a 1C and would be a good fit for a Johnny Goodreau. 

Maybe they are gonna toss that kid Sillinger (19 yrs old) into the top 6 to center a line. Might be too much to ask right away in my opinion, but supposedly he will be quite good so I could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, Bobby James said:

Columbus needs a center badly (especially now with their new high profile signing lol). 

Would anyone take a deal around Miller for Laine? 

1 for 1 straight up, but extensions agreed upon for both players. So say Laine for 5-6 years at 7.5 million per. Miller's extension is less important to this hypothetical proposal, Columbus can pay him whatever. 

I'd make that trade, Laine with Pettersson and Hughes would be deadly 

Fits the age of our young core better too

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bobby James said:

Columbus needs a center badly (especially now with their new high profile signing lol). 

Would anyone take a deal around Miller for Laine? 

1 for 1 straight up, but extensions agreed upon for both players. So say Laine for 5-6 years at 7.5 million per. Miller's extension is less important to this hypothetical proposal, Columbus can pay him whatever. 

The thought of Laine with Pettersson is making me drool.

Just imagine having them both on opposite half-walls on the PP with Hughes feeding either one of them for one-timers. Damn.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

4 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Just imagine having them both on opposite half-walls on the PP with Hughes feeding either one of them for one-timers. Damn.

That would be one of the most deadly powerplay units in the league. Bo in the middle and a good forechecker in front digging the puck out. 

35 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The fact it is taking this long for Kadri to get a deal done bodes well for the Canucks re-signing Miller.  Clearly, the market to sign a 30yo+ player isn't as lucrative as some might think.  Teams are not lining up to sign these 30yo+ guys to 8 year deals.  Surely Miller and his camp have come to this realization.

I bet Kadri signs a 6 year deal under $8M AAV, which will set the tone for the negotiations with Miller.

Could also be Kadri is turning into a paid merc and just waiting to see how the dust settles and who gives him the best opportunity at another cup

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd make that trade, Laine with Pettersson and Hughes would be deadly 

Fits the age of our young core better too

I proposed this quite a while back (Boeser + instead of JTM prior to Boes’ re-signing) and received a bunch of HELL NO’s for it, haha. I think it’s a great fit, but at the same time, people have talked about PLD having diva issues. Laine is in the same boat that way. Not sure about his general attitude, but he could be dynamite on this roster. 

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

Doesn't look like many are jumping at the bit to get a one hit wonder

I agree, but I also think it goes both ways. PHI trying to move out JVR to make cap, some teams still figuring out RFA contracts/extensions, some teams right at cap or above…there’s still a few obstacles in the marketplace. Probably the same reasons we haven’t been able to secure any dmen by trade as of yet 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

I agree, but I also think it goes both ways. PHI trying to move out JVR to make cap, some teams still figuring out RFA contracts/extensions, some teams right at cap or above…there’s still a few obstacles in the marketplace. Probably the same reasons we haven’t been able to secure any dmen by trade as of yet 

Haha that would be such a Philly move. Sign an old guy who peaked on the top offensive team.. to a long term high dollar deal and expect the same results for the duration on the deal yet on a trash team in a city with what's known as the worst fanbase for any sport. Lmao that makes me laugh.

They do love their buyouts!

• Cheers 1