The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, stawns said:

not for me so much, though I've said, all along, that with ever missed window his value in a trade drops, so I don't necessarily disagree.  You could make the argument, however, that tthe arms race is on in the East and Van has a pretty potent weapon to add to a team looking to keep pace.

yup ive always agreed with your position on Miller and that the trigger should have been pulled sooner.  You could be right, an arms race in the east might be the leverage we need to get a better value (although I like your Col Van trade proposal too)

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

depends on which side he plays I guess.  My understanding is that he can pay both sides, though I'm having trouble confirming that, but if he plays on the right side, I'd pair him with OEL probably.  If he plays on the left side, I'd play him with Myers or Dermott.

Girard would instantly be the best skater on the team and add a significant boost to offense from the backend and give them two (three if you consider OEL) top end offensive dmen on the PP and bring some much needed balance to the two pp units.  If the mantra for the draft is BPA, then maybe that same philosophy is required for a Miller deal and Girard is an outstanding dman who is cost controlled for the forseeable future.

add Newhok to that deal and it mght be the best they can get

interesting maybe:

OEL-Hughes

Girard-Myers

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Landeskog is showing as a LW.  I'm still not convinced he's what we need, even with the nordic networking.

His leadership would be huge.  Not sure what precedent there is for a Cup winner to trade the captain directly after a championship since Gretzky.

• Cheers 3

49 minutes ago, mll said:

Tampa are still doing bridge deals - Sergachev, Cirelli, Cernak even Kucherov got a bridge before signing long term. 

Ekblad kind of kick started things where he got a deal on potential with 1 year left on his ELC - became one of the highest paid Ds.  It kind of snowballed from there.  

In Tampa, the top 5 paid guys take up over 50% of total cap allocation,  the rest of the roster (18 players if they go with full roster)shares the remaining 50%. One could easily argue they gave the right guys the most money,  but undoubtedly,  on that roster (and several others around the league), you have a "have/have not" scenario.   

• Vintage 1

Hard to say whether the CGY/FLA trade actually signals reduced market value for 29 year old top line forwards on expiring deals (Huberdeau, and by extension, Miller) or just how sky high Tkachuk’s perceived value is.

Analytics models considered Tkachuk one of the most impactful players in the entire league, with estimates of his global on-ice value (by fancy stats) at $15M+ per season.

And many people, not just the “calculator boys,” consider him a “unicorn” with a very unique profile and overall team value, and one who’s just entering his prime at age 24.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Landeskog is showing as a LW.  I'm still not convinced he's what we need, even with the nordic networking.

Well, Landeskog would be a hell of a mentor for Petey, Karlsson and Lekkerimaki

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, Landeskog would be a hell of a mentor for Petey, Karlsson and Lekkerimaki

Great player but doesn't fit the timeline. I would re-up Miller first. A main reason for moving Miller is age and Landeskog is 29 as well. 

• Vintage 2

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If we get a RHD from moving Miller, they can have Myers ::D

Florida is 3.4M over the cap - Duclair will start on LTIR but unless they operate with a roster of only 20, they'll need to clear cap.

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

that ship sailed in the post season, imo........though they should still push for him.  I'd do Byram for Miller straight up, 50% retained

I reckon you and I may have been the only people on the Byram drum around January when he was rumoured to be available. I was willing to go JT back then for him and obviously would be 100% in still. I'd do straight up in a heart beat.

Realistically seems like a not gonna happen. Byram-Makar has potential to be one of the best pairings we have seen in a very, very long time. I package around Newhook is very interesting to me though. Watched quite a bit of him before his draft and he just oozes potential. I haven't kept up with him since though.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So the idea would be to shake up the room a la Messier with a Stanley Cup winning captain supplanting the established team captain?  

It really doesn't make sense as a hockey move.

One year into an 8 year contract with a 12 team NMC and older than JT? Makes no sense to me other than the  cost certainty of 7M.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So the idea would be to shake up the room a la Messier with a Stanley Cup winning captain supplanting the established team captain?  

It really doesn't make sense as a hockey move.

Landeskog isn't a locker room cancer though and would have the class to not demand the C.  He's nothing like that worthless piece of garbage.

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Ok, so team politics aside, Management's anticipated goals for this summer were to find a competent 3rd line centreman and one or two RD (for QH43 and/or OEL23), ideally ones that fit within the general age range of our core.  Still not seeing how this suggested move fits from that perspective.

Well they also said they wanted to change the culture.  Making this trade would require a subsequent deal involving a couple of wingers for help on the blueline and to bring in that 3rd line center.

Landeskog-Pettersson-Boeser

Podkolzin-Horvat-Kuzmenko

Mikhayev-Rodrigues-Garland

Joshua-Lazar-Lockwood

Hughes-Severson

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

Trade Pearson and Hoglander for Severson and add a sweetener to subtract Dickinson.  Lots of other moves that could be made; I just pulled that for an example.

Edited by King Heffy

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Ok, so team politics aside, Management's anticipated goals for this summer were to find a competent 3rd line centreman and one or two RD (for QH43 and/or OEL23), ideally ones that fit within the general age range of our core.  Still not seeing how this suggested move fits from that perspective.

Still not seeing that they have accomplished a single one of those goals.

• Like 1

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And which wingers would those be?  I mean, I'm pretty sure we won't be moving those that we just signed in FA.  I'm thinking they also wouldn't move BB6 considering they just extended him and the circumstances around his previous year (and the fact that they still regard him highly).  Pretty sure they won't be trading VP92.  NH36 can be sent down to the minors, so there's that I suppose.  That basically leaves CG8 and TP70 as the ones likely to be moved by trade.  Doesn't really move the culture needle all that much to move them, tbh.

Trade Pearson and Hoglander for Severson and add a sweetener to subtract Dickinson.  Lots of other moves that could be made; I just pulled that for an example.

Landeskog-Pettersson-Boeser

Podkolzin-Horvat-Kuzmenko

Mikhayev-Rodrigues-Garland

Joshua-Lazar-Lockwood

Hughes-Severson

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

So some random Colorado fan’s Instagram is an acceptable source now? 

I posted this whole scenario a few pages back.  it’s just hearsay right now. Imho, ppl shouldn’t get too excited about it just yet 

Rutherford said he's not going to panic til the trade deadline.

March 21? I figure the panic should start sooner like January.  This gives enough time to negotiate between parties involved. I think he should aim for the xmas break to get things rolling.  Time will go too fast and we can't rush this deal too much to get our value.

If JT extends?

Nevermind.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Rutherford said he's not going to panic til the trade deadline.

March 21? I figure the panic should start sooner like January.  This gives enough time to negotiate between parties involved. I think he should aim for the xmas break to get things rolling.  Time will go too fast and we can't rush this deal too much to get our value.

If JT extends?

Nevermind.

I don’t believe that JR is being genuine when he says that. I think it’s obvious that getting a trade done before training camp gives the other team JTM for one cheap year and a chance to sign him, and gives us less drama in the dressing room. He’s posturing to not appear desperate. We will get more now than if he’s simply a deadline rental.

• Cheers 2

Just now, steviewonder20 said:

I don’t believe that JR is being genuine when he says that. I think it’s obvious that getting a trade done before training camp gives the other team JTM for one cheap year and a chance to sign him, and gives us less drama in the dressing room. He’s posturing to not appear desperate. We will get more now than if he’s simply a deadline rental.

True, he needs time to accommodate for a new dressing room.plus if it's a contender he needs to ramp up his commitment to new guys. He'll be great for a contender.