The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

32 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

What is Boeser worth in a trade? At this point, probably not much.

The guy probably had the most difficult year of his hockey career both play wise and off ice wise and still put up 20+ goals and almost 50 pts.

We are not in a cap crunch 22-23 season.  Dont we want to at least find out if there is more to his game before letting him go for a bag of pucks?

Not sure if this scenario is possible

I believe JR said that they will qualify Boeser.

that means they need to offer him a 7m+ deal (whatever his QO amount is)

Can Boeser and the Canucks make a side deal to have him not sign that and sign an offersheet for a lower amount from another team that the Canucks will match as they have his RFA rights?

If a team comes in over the QO amount, maybe the side deal is that the Canucks pay him the original QO if Boeser wants to stay but he can sign elsewhere for more where the canucks then take the draft picks as compensation.

Most realistic situation to me is that Boeser signs for his QO amount on a 1 year show me deal.

He put up 20 goals being given more prime opportunity to score than any other winger on the team.   That money needs to be spent on an elite winger that can drive a line.  Boeser is worth nowhere near 7 mil.  

28 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

What is Boeser worth in a trade? At this point, probably not much.

The guy probably had the most difficult year of his hockey career both play wise and off ice wise and still put up 20+ goals and almost 50 pts.

We are not in a cap crunch 22-23 season.  Dont we want to at least find out if there is more to his game before letting him go for a bag of pucks?

Not sure if this scenario is possible

I believe JR said that they will qualify Boeser.

that means they need to offer him a 7m+ deal (whatever his QO amount is)

Can Boeser and the Canucks make a side deal to have him not sign that and sign an offersheet for a lower amount from another team that the Canucks will match as they have his RFA rights?

If a team comes in over the QO amount, maybe the side deal is that the Canucks pay him the original QO if Boeser wants to stay but he can sign elsewhere for more where the canucks then take the draft picks as compensation.

Most realistic situation to me is that Boeser signs for his QO amount on a 1 year show me deal.

IMO other than just signing the QO, the thing that makes the most sense is to give him a front loaded, bonus heavy (upfront money, lower taxes) deal at something in the mid- high $6m range for 3'ish years.

With smart money management, that can easily work out to about the same (or even more) take home the first year, as his QO. He gets a few years of security, a chance to regain his game and still earn a bigger payday in a few years.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

IMO other than just signing the QO, the thing that makes the most sense is to give him a front loaded, bonus heavy (upfront money, lower taxes) deal at something in the mid- high $6m range for 3'ish years.

With smart money management, that can easily work out to about the same (or even more) take home the first year, as his QO. He gets a few years of security, a chance to regain his game and still earn a bigger payday in a few years.

Yes, I'm not sure if this is possible but if they can bring down the avg cap hit below his QO by front loading the contract and fulfilling his QO amount on year 1, I would be all for it.  With a lower salary than caphit on year 3, if things dont work out but he is still a 50-60 pt player, a cash poor team like Arizona would be chomping to get a guy like Boeser and only pay like 3m

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup there's no denying that Boeser is not a line driver.

At the same time, are you ok to risk losing him for nothing when we still own his RFA rights?

The guy is not an arse like JV. He is a solid character, a good person who's had some really bad things dealt to him.

When he crashed into the open door and hurt his back, I remember reading that there was a scary feeling where he didnt feel his legs and thought his career was over.

It took him a while to regain confidence in his body and he started to skate well again in the Bubble and then the following season, I thought he was one of our best players.

He then dealt with his father's illness last year.  The guy was an NHL All STAR MVP as a rookie. He clearly has an elite skillset.

I can't believe we are talkign about letting him go for nothing when we still own his RFA rights and have the capspace to kick the can down the road another year to see how it pans out.  His value cant get any worse right now.

If we were tight against the cap and had no other options I get it but I honestly dont see why we would let him go for nothing this year.

You cant sign a player that does so little with the opprtunity hes given, a player that has got slower by the year, to 7.5 mil.  The second you do that you are handcuffing your entire squad for at least the year 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes, I'm not sure if this is possible but if they can bring down the avg cap hit below his QO by front loading the contract and fulfilling his QO amount on year 1, I would be all for it.  With a lower salary than caphit on year 3, if things dont work out but he is still a 50-60 pt player, a cash poor team like Arizona would be chomping to get a guy like Boeser and only pay like 3m

Yup... $7.5 first year ($6.5 in bonus),  $6.5 2nd year ($5.5 bonus), $6m 3rd year ($3m bonus).

That leaves $3m of actual salary after that last bonus is paid, gets him lots of lower tax money upfront that's at least as good, if not better, than his QO at straight salary (made in payments over the year) the first year... All for an AAV of $6.66m.

13 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

You cant sign a player that does so little with the opprtunity hes given, a player that has got slower by the year, to 7.5 mil.  The second you do that you are handcuffing your entire squad for at least the year 

Yeah I'm tryign to stay open minded to what you are saying

I guess if someone was to ask would you trade Deslaurier and Manson for Boeser, I would say thats a pretty good trade. 

But DesLaurier and Manson aren't All Stars. 

We would be letting Boes go in hopes that guys like Kuz, Garland, Podz, Hogz would increase their production while we use that salary to fill other needs.

At the same time, I believe the guys like him so they wont see signing him as handcuffing the team.

If Boeser comes back with a 70-80 pt season on another team, I would be super angry.

I do think Boeser's likeability is clouding my judgement somewhat. 

At the same time, how much money are we wasting on stupid things like Luongo Recapture, Holty buy out, JV buy out, Halak bonus?

And then we let a homegrown talent like Boeser go because we think he's worth 5m and not his 7.5 QO?

Seems a bit wrong

18 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I guess if someone was to ask would you trade Deslaurier and Manson for Boeser, I would say thats a pretty good trade. 

We would be letting Boes go in hopes that guys like Kuz, Garland, Podz, Hogz would increase their production while we use that salary to fill other needs.

At the same time, I believe the guys like him so they wont see signing him as handcuffing the team.

If Boeser comes back with a 70-80 pt season on another team, I would be super angry.

At the same time, how much money are we wasting on stupid things like Luongo Recapture, Holty buy out, JV buy out, Halak bonus?

And then we let a homegrown talent like Boeser go because we think he's worth 5m and not his 7.5 QO?

Seems a bit wrong

We could always recoup an asset at the trade deadline. I'm not overly worried on a one year deal at all.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

He put up 20 goals being given more prime opportunity to score than any other winger on the team.   That money needs to be spent on an elite winger that can drive a line.  Boeser is worth nowhere near 7 mil.  

Is the gamble worth it for one season though? 

if his trade value increases we have a better marketable asset.

if it declines, we can resign him for a much cheaper AAV or trade him out and have at least maxed out his potential with our club after being given ample opportunity.

I don’t see a loss either way.

at his age he will still command trade interest. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, RWJC said:

if it declines, we can resign him for a much cheaper AAV or trade him out and have at least maxed out his potential with our club after being given ample opportunity.

Not only that but even if he "handcuffs' the team (ironic that we see a 46 pt season as "handcuffing a team" but even if we said that was handcuffing the team, we are still a playoff calbre team and I have no doubt we will make it  to the playoffs this year. 

Even if we let Boeser go and sign a 7.5m Forward, how many additional points is he going to get us over Boeser? 25-30 pts at best? That is probably the point differential if Boeser craps the bed this season and we go and sign someone for 7.5m.  Will that be enough for us to win the cup? Probably not.  I'm willing to bet that replacing Boeser for a guy like Fiala still wont get us any further.  we might end up with another LE taking up 6m capspace for many seasons.. Or Boeser can come back this year and put up 80 pts.

I just dont think we gain much by letting him go. In fact, I think it's an unecessary risk when we can keep him for another year and re-evaluate.

There's no denying that this year was brutal for him.  His tears during the year end press conference said it all. There's also so much support from his teammates.  They genuinely love the guy and are supportive of him.  This is a how team identity is formed.  You help one of your friends get through one of the toughest moments in their lives and achieve success together.  

Also if managment trades him, what messsage does that send the core?  It doesnt matter if you were the darling of the team at one point. We don't care that you went through a potential career ending injury or that your father passed away.  If you dont produce, you are out?  That's essentially the message.  Corporations make similar moves quite often and what it does is poison the work environment and increase disengagement. 

Anyway, I am hoping for a 1 year show me deal at the QO or a 3-4 year deal with salary structure that is lower in AAV than the QO.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Even if we let Boeser go and sign a 7.5m Forward, how many additional points is he going to get us over Boeser? 25-30 pts at best? That is probably the point differential if Boeser craps the bed this season and we go and sign someone for 7.5m.  Will that be enough for us to win the cup? Probably not.  I'm willing to bet that replacing Boeser for a guy like Fiala still wont get us any further.  we might end up with another LE taking up 6m capspace for many seasons.. Or Boeser can come back this year and put up 80 pts.

I just dont think we gain much by letting him go. In fact, I think it's an unecessary risk when we can keep him for another year and re-evaluate.

Anyway, I am hoping for a 1 year show me deal at the QO or a 3-4 year deal with salary structure that is lower in AAV than the QO.

I think there is a good chance that Brock will come back in full force.  He has many reasons to spend his summer

honing his game and working hard in all aspects of training.  A short term 'show me' contract would be

appropriate, but has some risk as well.  If his game doesn't improve, he has less value than what he does at the

moment.

I would only be happy with a decent value trade for Brock.  Something like Roy(RD) + Kapuri(3C-r) + 2nd from 

the Kings, which would fill 2 very important roles on our team.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Seems a bit wrong

18 hours ago, RWJC said:

Don’t waste your energy on Vedder….pretty sure Brock accidentally ran over his dog or something the way the guy irrationally hates on him. 

• Haha 1

Anyone who thinks Boeser’s last year is anything close to indicative of what next year will look like doesn’t understand either hockey players or people in general. Boeser went from arguably our best forward to a down year. His head CLEARLY wasn’t in the game given how his dads health was going. You could see it even was affecting his teammates based on the end of year presser.

give him a few weeks in the summer to properly grieve and get his head back into training and we will see a completely rejuvenated Boeser. Count on it.

Unfortunately Boeser doesn’t play the game with pace or speed. He is 100% expandable for picks/prospects who fit the mold of a speed and skill game. Watching Colorado and how they are built shows exactly the type of players you need to succeed, they are unbelievably quick and all play with pace.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

Unfortunately Boeser doesn’t play the game with pace or speed. He is 100% expandable for picks/prospects who fit the mold of a speed and skill game. Watching Colorado and how they are built shows exactly the type of players you need to succeed, they are unbelievably quick and all play with pace.

Does Boeser, because of his contract status, have any value though?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Does Boeser, because of his contract status, have any value though?  

I’m sure if you take back some money anything is possible in a deal. He’s still a young top line winger who impressed the world at the All Star game a few years ago. Some GM will love his game, I’m sure.

1 hour ago, KyGuy123 said:

I’m sure if you take back some money anything is possible in a deal. He’s still a young top line winger who impressed the world at the All Star game a few years ago. Some GM will love his game, I’m sure.

He was only on our top line rw because this teams been so weak on the rw since burrows left.  

Hes not the elite winger this team needs.  

The all star game over 4 yrs ago? Seriously?  A game with zero intensity and zero goaltending? 

10 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think there is a good chance that Brock will come back in full force.  He has many reasons to spend his summer

honing his game and working hard in all aspects of training.  A short term 'show me' contract would be

appropriate, but has some risk as well.  If his game doesn't improve, he has less value than what he does at the

moment.

I would only be happy with a decent value trade for Brock.  Something like Roy(RD) + Kapuri(3C-r) + 2nd from 

the Kings, which would fill 2 very important roles on our team.

Wtf? No one is giving us that much for boeser.