The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] LA Kings and Vancouver trade, a match made in heaven

1. LA Kings still has Kopitar, Brown, Doughty and Quick.  These guys are their equivalent of the Sedins and the team owes it to their core to give them one more shot at the cup.  They have made a rebuild on the fly and have been ranked in the top 5 for prospects (top team in the league according to The Hockey Writers). 

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-farm-system-rankings/ 

For some reference on where they stand in their rebuild, LA Kings went out and acquired Philip Danault and Victor Arvidsson in the off-season.  

2. LA Kings are looking poised to challenge for a playoff spot this year.  They're above .500 but are surprisingly in the bottom 10 teams in the league when it comes to goals per game.  So it reasons that they would want to add proven NHL scoring to their lineup.  

3. LA Kings have about 20 million of cap space coming off their books after this year.  Mind you they will be looking to resign a lot of those players, but some of them like Dustin Brown will be getting a big paycut.  

Sending Brock Boeser OR JT Miller to LA Kings makes a lot of sense for both teams.  I would prefer to send JT Miller as he's older and we won't have to face Boeser in our division.  

Coming back from LA, the most optimal way forward would be draft picks and a young center.  Just to put into perspective the center depth on the LA Kings, it looks something like this:  

1. Anze Kopitar (3 more years on his deal) 

2. Philip Danault (6 years left with LA) 

3. Rasmus Kupari (21 year old, 20th overall 2018) 

4. Blake Lizotte (23 year old) 

5. Quinton Byfield (2nd overall pick, 2020) 

6. Alex Turcotte (5th overall, 2019) 

7. Jaret Anderson-Dolan (22 year old, PPG in AHL, lots of NHL games already) 

I think that LA Kings and Vancouver could benefit a lot from making a deal with each other.  There's also some trade history from two years ago when we acquired Tyler Toffoli.  

Thoughts?  

10 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

Uhhh. Canucks need good young players. Not good 35 year old players.

NO

Where did I suggest a 35 year old player?

40 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Just to put into perspective the center depth on the LA Kings, it looks something like this:  

1. Anze Kopitar (3 more years on his deal) 

2. Philip Danault (6 years left with LA) 

3. Rasmus Kupari (21 year old, 20th overall 2018) 

4. Blake Lizotte (23 year old) 

5. Quinton Byfield (2nd overall pick, 2020) 

6. Alex Turcotte (5th overall, 2019) 

7. Jaret Anderson-Dolan (22 year old, PPG in AHL, lots of NHL games already) 

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

So, what's the proposal?  (doubt they want to move Kopitar, Danault or Byfield; also glad you didn't include Vilardi, it looks like his future might be on the wing since he sucks at faceoffs).  

JT Miller 

for 

Jared Anderson-Dolan 

1st round pick in 2022 

3rd round pick in 2023 

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

I'd rather we brought Jasek back and gave him a chance in the big team

I'd like that too, but this deal would mostly be done with the purpose of recouping some picks in exchange for Miller and also pushing back our contending window by a year or two.  

Btw Jasek played on the PK and worked on his two way game.  I was pretty disappointed that he never got a chance in the NHL.  He deserved to get a game or two last year. 

Only make big trade for Miller if out of playoffs… Better return..

No trades we have a very good top 9 group =B

Defence Ct

Goal = Bt

This team is really under achieving 11 points after 19 games just terrible…Should of won a few more but no luck like Chicago game..

This is a playoff team but PK and PP and killing the season..Hard to believe PP is this bad with talent they have..

Not playing well as a unit..Need coaching change, move Brad Shaw in..
Fire Green, Baumgartner, King..