The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 24, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

43 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is comedy.

Miller is becoming my favorite canuck. He's obviously had enough and ready to call.out the incompetence of green and his minions. 

Unfortunately, it likely means he will get sacrificed ed so Benning and Green can save face. 

Edited by DIBdaQUIB
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You got a better explanation?

They were.  Not anymore.  

Look at the disconnect in explaining the woes of the PK.  Benning is suggesting a systems issue while Green is hinting at a personnel issue which points to Benning.

Hansen sides with Green.  Blames it 100% on the personnel assembled and even says that the guys expected to kill penalties aren't penalty killers.  Explains that systems on the PK are quasi inexistent and that it's about having the personnel that knows and understands the role.    

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

They were.  Not anymore.  

Look at the disconnect in explaining the woes of the PK.  Benning is suggesting a systems issue while Green is hinting at a personnel issue which points to Benning.

Hansen sides with Green.  Blames it 100% on the personnel assembled and even says that the guys expected to kill penalties aren't penalty killers.  Explains that systems on the PK are quasi inexistent and that it's about having the personnel that knows and understands the role.    

Yes it's for sure on the personnel - and that's on JB.   TG can't make EP and BB turn back the clock either.   Hope a new coach and a lot of fear shakes them into the players we know they can be because at this point it's the best chance we have.   And some trades too. 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This is why our team needs a President. Not Linden, not Smyl, a person who's not at all connected but a good hockey mind.   The owners need a barrier.   Someone who will stand up to them too.   Maybe if grandpa wants to see a cup then send him to TB with a bunch of stuff about that team and he can live out his life in the lap of luxury in some penthouse in the Bay area.   I'm stoked we have rich owners.   But not stoked their isn't a President that won't stand up to them either.   Really Burke would have been great. 

A president can only stand up to ownership if ownership will tolerate a dissenting opinion.  Linden got fired for not sharing aquaman's vision.  The same will happen again.

• Vintage 2

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

A president can only stand up to ownership if ownership will tolerate a dissenting opinion.  Linden got fired for not sharing aquaman's vision.  The same will happen again.

Linden ... lol ... did he get fired or did he say f!ck this you guys can go and play in your own sandbox. 

7 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Coaches have to play the players that are playing the system asked of them, the players that make responsible, unselfish decisions. If those players are your limited plugs which means you'll likely lose the game, so be it.

If your top players aren't buying in, you have to send that message, or the inmates are running the asylum.

Not doing anything about tells the team this is a country club atmosphere that they can easily take advantage of.

But hasn't that been the case for over 2 years now?

Didn't Green put the #1 PP unit out for 2 minutes the season before last?

How is it that Horvat Pearson and Loui E were our shut down line but Bo still can't kill penalties, and Pearson only does occasionally? 

This team has a culture, that if you earn $5 M or more you can spend all day on the PP but you don't need to play defense

I don't see how Green can change that at this late date

That is the culture Green has instilled in this team

Miller looks frustrated? he is the only guy that plays a 200' game

2 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Whether fired or ignored, it illustrates the futility of that position  if the owner won't listen. 

Hey i never liked how Linden was used by the club as a deflector shield.  But we won't really know what happened until it's disclosed.   The media angle was it was an amicable split and that he wanted to spend more time with his family which is actually understandable...we may never know what really happened. 

Button is on Donnie and Dhali right now, ranting about the atrocious Canuck blue line. "They have cornered the market on bottom pairing D men".  Its one of the things I agree we Button on.  There are arguably only 2 top 4 d men on this team.  Poolman and Myers are not top 4 d men.  Coaching might be garbage but Benning has failed constructing this team, and he is in year 8.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

How is it that Horvat Pearson and Loui E were our shut down line but Bo still can't kill penalties, and Pearson only does occasionally? 

This team has a culture, that if you earn $5 M or more you can spend all day on the PP but you don't need to play defense

I agree that a lot of it is on Green for instilling this lousy culture.

Turnover after turnover, odd-man rush after odd-man rush, poor decision after poor decision. Never been any consequences, because like I always say, Green coaches how he wanted to be coached when he played and that's deferring to veterans with no repercussions.

But if the point is to look for solutions, it's better late than never. I'm not saying it's going to work, I think it's pretty obvious this is a lame duck situation.

Horvat is also miscast as a two-way top-6 matchup center. He's not Bergeron or Toews in his prime. A big reason we can't defend or check is because the GM hasn't been able to acquire useful, versatile forwards that can defend and check without being black holes offensively.

10 minutes ago, lmm said:

Yup Green is reaping what he sowed. 

11 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

but what if it is happening now?

maybe Aqua is out fishing for a new GM and getting turned down by every one he talks to

Anyone notice we never hear from Melnyk anymore?

maybe Aqua is already at the end of his rope, but still has not realized it yet

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Myers + Poolman + Hamonic @ almost 12M is a joke. That's our right side lol.

Benning has never had any clue on what makes a good D-man.

Sbisa, Gudbranson, Bartkowski, Pouliot, the list goes on and on.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

I agree that a lot of it is on Green for instilling this lousy culture.

Turnover after turnover, odd-man rush after odd-man rush, poor decision after poor decision. Never been any consequences, because like I always say, Green coaches how he wanted to be coached when he played and that's deferring to veterans with no repercussions.

But if the point is to look for solutions, it's better late than never. I'm not saying it's going to work, I think it's pretty obvious this is a lame duck situation.

Horvat is also miscast as a two-way top-6 matchup center. He's not Bergeron or Toews in his prime. A big reason we can't defend or check is because the GM hasn't been able to acquire useful, versatile forwards that can defend and check without being black holes offensively.

Only consequences I've seen are on rookies like Hogz and Podz. Easy targets. 

Maybe Green is scared of ruffling star players' feathers because he's been a grinder his whole career and doesn't know how to coach stars or keep them accountable. 

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Linden ... lol ... did he get fired or did he say f!ck this you guys can go and play in your own sandbox. 

either way, Linden bought into the President as a PR move 

and so did many fans on this board

what could go wrong?