The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 24, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Myers + Poolman + Hamonic @ almost 12M is a joke. That's our right side lol.

Benning has never had any clue on what makes a good D-man.

Sbisa, Gudbranson, Bartkowski, Pouliot, the list goes on and on.

I don't think that's fair. 

I would love to see them with a new coach. 

Poolman looked fine when he got here. 

It's really not a mystery that everyone looks worse when they play in Canuck jerseys. 

Didn't we say the same about Schmidt last year too? 

And Tanev? Anyways injured? 

Hmmm I wonder why that is... 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

Button is on Donnie and Dhali right now, ranting about the atrocious Canuck blue line. "They have cornered the market on bottom pairing D men".  Its one of the things I agree we Button on.  There are arguably only 2 top 4 d men on this team.  Poolman and Myers are not top 4 d men.  Coaching might be garbage but Benning has failed constructing this team, and he is in year 8.

yes, that's true. Canucks are deep at the blueline with enough defenceman but the quality of some D-Man is concerning. Schenn isn't a top 4 but has to play in the top 4 because of Hamonic's absence. Burroughs also isn't a top 4 d-Man. Myers has been playing in the top 4 at a Jets team and has been struggling in this role. Didn't like the Myers signing from the beginning on. Myers sometimes doesn't play D. That's a problem.

Just now, CanucksJay said:

I don't think that's fair. 

I would love to see them with a new coach. 

Poolman looked fine when he got here. 

It's really not a mystery that everyone looks worse when they play in Canuck jerseys. 

What exactly is not fair about it?

Yes, he's looked fine at different parts of the season. Which is like the definition of a bottom-pair guy.

22 minutes ago, mll said:

They were.  Not anymore.  

Look at the disconnect in explaining the woes of the PK.  Benning is suggesting a systems issue while Green is hinting at a personnel issue which points to Benning.

Hansen sides with Green.  Blames it 100% on the personnel assembled and even says that the guys expected to kill penalties aren't penalty killers.  Explains that systems on the PK are quasi inexistent and that it's about having the personnel that knows and understands the role.    

Defence comes down to effort. Comes down to giving a ****. It really takes no talent to be solid defensively. Even without better PK personnel, the coaching staff should be able to get more out of them than they are. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

yes, that's true. Canucks are deep at the blueline with enough defenceman but the quality of some D-Man is concerning. Schenn isn't a top 4 but has to play in the top 4 because of Hamonic's absence. Burroughs also isn't a top 4 d-Man. Myers has been playing in the top 4 at a Jets team and has been struggling in this role. Didn't like the Myers signing from the beginning on. Myers sometimes doesn't play D. That's a problem.

Whats frustrating for me to see is Tanev in Calgary.  Calgary is a top team in the conference and Tanev is their best overall d man.  He hasnt been injured because hes not subjected to the collapsing passive system the Canucks played here where the guy was treated like a human pin cushion.  So 10 years of Tanev sacrificing his body as a Canuck and they didnt even make a serious offer to keep him. Yeah lets give other sub par players the money instead.   Instead he walks and goes and makes a direct rival better.  Imagine how much better it would be for Hughes to have Tanev around right now.

Too many mistakes to defend here.  Benning has to go,.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Thanks Gnar. Confirms Trev is just a quality guy. Pretty sharp retort by him too. 

During the lockoutI played several sessions of drop in with him, Steve McKenna and a few other guys who were here. We also had a few female national team folk around. When the NHLers actually tried it was 3 levels above the best of us. The women could skate very well but they had absolutely no moves. Was easier to stick check them than a bantam. They were so easy to body and shoulder fake as well.  I think the 'skill' gap would be far less today. 

I ran into Trevor about 5 years later and while he didnt recall my name he did recognize me still. Then again last year he did recall me again even now looking like a biker with a huge beard.  I've 'met' him about 20 times by now. 

I have nothing but great things to say about him. 

There's been a few bad moves over the years, but Benning should've been fired when he let Markstrom and Tanev walk.  Also, because he continues to pump Travis' tires, when he hasn't done anything to bring success to this team. This team is worse then when Benning started. How is that possible and he still has a job?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

funny thing is that the forward group is as bad as the blueline:

I saw a stat on twitter that someone said this is amongst the lowest scoring Canucks teams ever through 20 games.

If that's true, I don't want to hear anything about Hamonic & Poolman.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1