The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 24, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Hate to break it to you. Tyler Myers is also a Calder winner. Does he look like a Top 2 D man?

Winning Calder or runner up calder don't mean anything. What you do every year and the years afterwards determines what type of player you are. 

And every year Elias has put up nearly a point a game. 

One may argue that the team isn't as great as someone like me might say but it isn't this bad either... 

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is comedy.

If there was anyone left on this forum that had even the tiniest doubt that this embarrassment of a season we’ve had is because of bad coaching it’s gone now.

Fire Green, but I’m also a human and know an organization like the Canucks would not be purposefully cruel even when parting ways with someone so wait until he gets back to Vancouver. Firing him now on the road trip is a low move and I don’t think anyone can doubt the integrity of the people in charge of this mess.

As soon as he comes back to Vancouver though you’ve got to make the move. Fans and players can’t stand this train wreck any longer. Let’s see what this group can do under new leadership.

9 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Hate to break it to you. Tyler Myers is also a Calder winner. Does he look like a Top 2 D man?

Winning Calder or runner up calder don't mean anything. What you do every year and the years afterwards determines what type of player you are. 

Ya but these guys actually showed well in subsequent years as well and clearly actually possess more skill then Myers could dream of. Also more pedigree prior to entering the league. His point still stands. 

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

1. The bubble was a mirage, an outlier. It gave a lot of people false hope, unfortunately some of those people are the big decision-makers for the Canucks.

2. We have a lot of good pieces individually on paper, but not a good "team". It's a poorly constructed roster.

Do I think this same roster would be better with a competent coach? 100%

Do I think we're anything more than average even when playing well? Not really.

IMO It wasn't an outlier. We just happened to lose our entire defensive leadership core after that - Edler, Tanev and Markstrom. Calgary seems to be doing quite fine with Tanev and Markstrom... Our lack of leadership is quite simply being exposed - on and off the bench. We have frustrated youth and no leadership other than the "pull up your bootstraps" mentality from Green and co. 

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Well, we can agree to disagree, then.

Okay so here's the test; 

If you were to take Ekblad or Tanev or Parayko, exc (whoever you deem the best option) and replace Poolman/Myers/Hamonic (whoever you deem worst) with them, would this team be in the playoffs right now?

My answer would be no, not with how this forward group has underperformed.

10 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I'm not surprised whatsoever that Tanev is playing like he is. It was a foundational mistake to let him go regardless of his injuries because of what he meant to this team on and off the ice. Full stop.

Tanev is a really good player/person, and the Canucks miss him dearly but given his injury history, age and term of contract hardly anyone thought twice losing him to CGY.

Glad to see he is doing well in CGY and who knows, perhaps the change of scenery was to his benefit (for all we know he could have had injury riddled seasons if he stayed with the Canucks). Given with where the Canucks are at changes have to be made.  Perhaps some of the poor performers this year will play more to their potential after said changes. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, mll said:

Disagree? 

Yes. They've had plenty of good in zone shifts over the season they haven't scored on, Miller had a 2 on 1 last game and made a brutal pass when he should've shot.

I'm not saying they are amazing, but OEL has been very good, both he & Hughes can elevate their partner to respectability. Like in Montreal with Petry/Weber elevating Chiarot/Edmundson.

I think with the talent we have this team could still make the playoffs with this defense if the top players had performed to their capabilities. (Including special teams)

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is comedy.

More like a farce:

"a comic dramatic work using buffoonery and horseplay and typically including crude characterization and ludicrously improbable situations."

or rather Greek tragedy:

"a play in which the protagonist, usually a person of importance and outstanding personal qualities, falls to disaster through the combination of a personal failing and circumstances with which he or she cannot deal"

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Okay so here's the test; 

If you were to take Ekblad or Tanev or Parayko, exc (whoever you deem the best option) and replace Poolman/Myers/Hamonic (whoever you deem worst) with them, would this team be in the playoffs right now?

My answer would be no, not with how this forward group has underperformed.

Just 1 of them would make a huge difference because IMO RH DFD is our biggest weakness. We've also seen Hughes play his best with Tanev by his side. Tanev was a monster on the PK, as well. It's a domino effect.

I doubt it'd push us into the playoffs though.

The problem is bigger than 1 player.

I'm not saying other things (like the forwards and coaching) aren't major issues but the defense is a big one, as well.

17 minutes ago, Darius said:

The defence is not the sole problem, but at the same time I think demko covers up a lot of the mess back there.  Offence also starts from defence in many cases.  Some of the guys cant put together a good pass out of the d zone, the puck is handled like a hand grenade or its just dumped out and possession is handed back to the other team.  There are other occasions where the puck is in the o zone, it ends up back at the point only for a muffin to be launched at the net.

This is a multifaceted problem where some major components of the team/org have failed.

It works the other way around as well imho.  There are no forwards with well above average defensive skills (If We could only clone Motte ).  Most aren't even average defensively.  That doesn't help the blue line, with the flaws it already has.  It magnifies them.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

8 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

1. The bubble was a mirage, an outlier. It gave a lot of people false hope, unfortunately some of those people are the big decision-makers for the Canucks.

2. We have a lot of good pieces individually on paper, but not a good "team". It's a poorly constructed roster.

Do I think this same roster would be better with a competent coach? 100%

Do I think we're anything more than average even when playing well? Not really.

Ok so then let's go a year before the bubble / outlier. 

We were a 500 team that missed the playoffs because we lost an absurd amount of OT and shootouts. 

We also had a terrible roster that consisted of guys like Rousel, Player Name, goldobin, granlund, leivo, baerstchi, pouliot schaller gudbranson leipsic, del zotto 

No sedins at this point too. 

But also no OEL, Miller, Garland, Hogz, Podz, rookie Petterson, 

Man that team was a disaster. 

Yet they would be kicking the crap out of this team. 

How is this not coaching? 

Our. D corp was often injured with Stech being the only D to play more than 70 games. 

Tanev 

Pouliot 

Hutton

Stecher

Edler

Biega

But now we are complaining abiut

OEL 

Myers

Hughes

Hamonic 

Poolman

Burroughs? 

REALLY? 

• Cheers 1

Wow no news on the team? Just mail it in hey.

What pisses me the &^@# off about this team isn’t only the coaching/management/ownership and the underperforming “stars”, but these said people have absolutely 0 accountability other than J.T, for the disappointment. 

It’s always the same excuses rather than blaming themselves for this treachery.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Ok so then let's go a year before the bubble / outlier. 

We were a 500 team that missed the playoffs because we lost an absurd amount of OT and shootouts. 

We also had a terrible roster that consisted of guys like Rousel, Player Name, goldobin, granlund, leivo, baerstchi, pouliot schaller gudbranson leipsic, del zotto 

No sedins at this point too. 

But also no OEL, Miller, Garland, Hogz, Podz, rookie Petterson, 

Man that team was a disaster. 

Yet they would be kicking the crap out of this team. 

How is this not coaching? 

Our. D corp was often injured with Stech being the only D to play more than 70 games. 

Tanev 

Pouliot 

Hutton

Stecher

Edler

Biega

But now we are complaining abiut

OEL 

Myers

Hughes

Hamonic 

Poolman

Burroughs? 

REALLY? 

Well first of all... our coach that year was the same as the one we have now.

And second, that team had a lot more defensively responsible players than this one. Even Loui wasn't completely fried at that point, yet.

Lastly and perhaps most importantly, fans have criminally underrated what Tanev & Edler meant to this team during Benning's tenure. They were two of the main reasons he's kept his job so long. (side-note: which always makes the "Gillis never left Benning anything!" excuse even more laughable).

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Wow no news on the team? Just mail it in hey.

What pisses me the &^@# off about this team isn’t only the coaching/management/ownership and the underperforming “stars”, but these said people have absolutely 0 accountability other than J.T, for the disappointment. 

It’s always the same excuses rather than blaming themselves for this treachery.

and them flagellating themselves would make you feel better for some reason?