er um 

your on your own here 

lets talk about our

Swedish captains

did they win us a cup?

Bo is exactly the same as our Swedish captains

He yelled at Virtanen for throwing a hit

Gretzki always had meat around him, look at who got traded to LA with him

Bo is top 3 in size on this team, and he skates away when the smallest guy is getting beat up

Bo has a new born give him some slack, he needs to put food on the table...

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why does Bo need to fight to be a captain?  Did Linden ever drop the gloves?  Bo has dropped the gloves and won more fights in one year then Linden did in his entire career. Linden was taunted and embarrassed many times for refusing to fight. 

Let’s not even talk about our Swedish captains from the past. 

I don’t recall Gretzky, Yzerman, Lemieux, Sakic, Toews, Stamkos, McDavid, Landeskog ever having to drop the gloves. They usually had of have guys that did or do that for them. Crosby drops the gloves about once every few years. Same with Ovechkin. 

Landeskog drops them and is actually pretty good at it ... Your right Linden didn't fight much, he mostly turtled, Otto beating on his kidneys and once Sandy McCarthy went after him (turtled) too...but he did occasionally fight just badly.    Courtnall too.   Back then pretty much everyone did it at one time or another.   Gretzky lol...one career fight ... Mario got mad occasionally (like Crosby), and was actually pretty decent.

One of the reasons i was excited not to have a Swedish Captain, was hoping that he'd bring some inspiration like Iginla by playing a rougher role, hitting and fighting from time to time.   So far meh.    Bo's  not a superstar like those guys so not sure why he'd get a bye on not having to add something, grit, or something to inspire.   Landeskog is not a regular Swede either ... one scout at the combine was so impressed with Landeskog, he was overheard saying "i'd go to war with that kid, going to be a great leader"  .... Bo has clutch working for him, but we haven't seen that often this year.   Hank and Linden were good captain's for our team, Naslund a mistake IMO, should have always been Jovo.   Bo..well it certainly is possible the team just needed a Captain, and didn't have anything better yet - and i remember some thinking it should be EP and or we should wait.    Miller oozes something ... not sure it's what the team needs either, but at least it's noticeable on the ice and he's taken a leadership role off it too.  

Edit:  It's not at all inspiring, if one of our guy gets hit or played dirty, and after the whistle nothing - not even a face wash.   I'm sick and tired of that style of "leadership" which has permeated this since the early 2000's.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 3

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So the only player he sticks up for is Pearson who in the first one took himself out by being too much of a pansy to take a hit to get the puck in deep and in the second one looks like he crosschecked a guy in the face. Then two fights where the other team actually fought him for dirty hits he himself made?

Maybe both Horvat and Pearson should be traded.

Meh.  I wish Horvat did this every single game but it's not the type of player he is.   He's very even keeled and seems humble which isn't a bad thing.   What's bad to me is he doesn't inspire much with his play ... which is really an important part of being a Captain.  He's no Jean Beliveau, one of the nicest hockey players ever, and one of the best too, and he's no Messier either.   Just average garden variety type.   That said of the group we have, only Miller would challenge for it.   EP i was dead against ... well i suppose OEL too but if what is said about ARI then no thanks.   Leaves Myers lol.   Horvat could grow into a better type of garden variety C .... hope he does for our sakes. 

7 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

No clue why Tanner wasn't traded last trade deadline

I know why, we have an inept GM running the show...re sign a struggling player like Pearson mid season, but never try to even offer Tanev a deal after he proved once again he can be the reliable defensive guy when he played with Hughes, should have been a no brainer to keep you young elite puck moving defenceman's Defensive partner...

I mean we gave Tyler Freakin Myers 6m x 5 years for &^@# sakes...the guy is nowhere near as good of a player as Tanev, we screwed ourselves with that signing in many ways...just like MopHead and his 6yr 6m deal we forked out.

Those 2 deals screwed this team from keeping a couple good players we had or giving us cap flexibility to take on bad deals for more draft picks...something our GM new nothing about and always gave up picks, I ask someone to find a team doing a rebuild who gave up as many draft picks as we did during JB tenure here...

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I know why, we have an inept GM running the show...re sign a struggling player like Pearson mid season, but never try to even offer Tanev a deal after he proved once again he can be the reliable defensive guy when he played with Hughes, should have been a no brainer to keep you young elite puck moving defenceman's Defensive partner...

I mean we gave Tyler Freakin Myers 6m x 5 years for &^@# sakes...the guy is nowhere near as good of a player as Tanev, we screwed ourselves with that signing in many ways...just like MopHead and his 6yr 6m deal we forked out.

Those 2 deals screwed this team from keeping a couple good players we had or giving us cap flexibility to take on bad deals for more draft picks...something our GM new nothing about and always gave up picks, I ask someone to find a team doing a rebuild who gave up as many draft picks as we did during JB tenure here...

The Tanev thing will never stop burning me, 4.5 million dollars for probably the best shutdown d in the league. Calgary says he is their most important player right now.

3 hours ago, aznmonk said:

Bo has a new born give him some slack, he needs to put food on the table...

I have a new born...I would jump the boards and be the guy from Untold Hockey crimes or whatever that show was on The Netflix for league minimum! I would fight any player who ever played in the league for Bo's salary...heck I would do it with 1 eye covered and 1 hand tied behind my back! NHL players we ice on our team are Charmins, it's sad seeing Podkolzin get hit a couple times cleanly but hard and nobody do a thing about it. Poor Russian guy doesn't seem to have an angry bone in his body either...perfect fit for our team eh!?

Just now, Battlemonger said:

The Tanev thing will never stop burning me, 4.5 million dollars for probably the best shutdown d in the league. Calgary says he is their most important player right now.

Exactly and the LAMES did NOT have to give him a raise, long term or NMC either! I know Tanev got hurt quite a bit, but the last year he played for us the trainers had a light bulb going off type of moment and revamped his equipment quite a bit to help protect his body....seems to have worked yet we still walked away

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, khay said:

Not only that, he was extended to 3 yr, 3 mil per year and I think with limited NTC or some sort of promise that he would be protected in the Seattle expansion draft?

Pearson signing is the proof that JB cannot make objective decisions.

Traded McCann + bunch of draft picks for Gudbranson, then Gudbranson for Pearson. So McCann who is a second line player now and a bunch of draft picks for Pearson and to lose Pearson means to there is nothing to show for.

He is so obsessed with his past moves that he is no longer capable of objectively assessing the team.

I used to support JB but now, it's clear that his time is up.

Just a matter of when, not if.

McCann, “a 2nd line player”, has currently scored more goals than any Canuck player this season for the Kraken.  Good thing we kept Jake over McCann.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

I have a new born...I would jump the boards and be the guy from Untold Hockey crimes or whatever that show was on The Netflix for league minimum! I would fight any player who ever played in the league for Bo's salary...heck I would do it with 1 eye covered and 1 hand tied behind my back! NHL players we ice on our team are Charmins, it's sad seeing Podkolzin get hit a couple times cleanly but hard and nobody do a thing about it. Poor Russian guy doesn't seem to have an angry bone in his body either...perfect fit for our team eh!?

Why embarrass yourself? You have to be able to play hockey before you had this chance. I doubt you can even skate?

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Landeskog drops them and is actually pretty good at it ... Your right Linden didn't fight much, he mostly turtled, Otto beating on his kidneys and once Sandy McCarthy went after him (turtled) too...but he did occasionally fight just badly.    Courtnall too.   Back then pretty much everyone did it at one time or another.   Gretzky lol...one career fight ... Mario got mad occasionally (like Crosby), and was actually pretty decent.

One of the reasons i was excited not to have a Swedish Captain, was hoping that he'd bring some inspiration like Iginla by playing a rougher role, hitting and fighting from time to time.   So far meh.    Bo's  not a superstar like those guys so not sure why he'd get a bye on not having to add something, grit, or something to inspire.   Landeskog is not a regular Swede either ... one scout at the combine was so impressed with Landeskog, he was overheard saying "i'd go to war with that kid, going to be a great leader"  .... Bo has clutch working for him, but we haven't seen that often this year.   Hank and Linden were good captain's for our team, Naslund a mistake IMO, should have always been Jovo.   Bo..well it certainly is possible the team just needed a Captain, and didn't have anything better yet - and i remember some thinking it should be EP and or we should wait.    Miller oozes something ... not sure it's what the team needs either, but at least it's noticeable on the ice and he's taken a leadership role off it too.  

Edit:  It's not at all inspiring, if one of our guy gets hit or played dirty, and after the whistle nothing - not even a face wash.   I'm sick and tired of that style of "leadership" which has permeated this since the early 2000's.   

What's with all you folks going on about the fighting leaders? You do realize the game has changed, no?

5 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

What's with all you folks going on about the fighting leaders? You do realize the game has changed, no?

Trevor Linden couldn’t fight his way out of a paper bag.  Didn’t mean he wasn’t a great C (he was).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

18 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Trevor Linden couldn’t fight his way out of a paper bag.  Didn’t mean he wasn’t a great C (he was).

Maybe Linden didn’t fight much but he could play a solid physical game. I’ll never forget the hit where he put the player thru the glass. NYR series wasn’t it? 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

No i'm too dull to realize that ... remember most Lindens bad fights, added Courtnall's bad fights, Otto/Sandman turtling Linden and pounding away at his kidneys,  Quin, Crawford's teams, and reacting to the idea that Green is somehow neutering the team when the players haven't changed that have come in or the ones that were here before (Horvat) Green came in.   In plain terms - expecting Horvat to all of a sudden goon it up 3-4 times a year won't ever happen.   Not that it wouldn't be nice to see him stick up for his teammates.   What actually bugs me is the lack of push back after the whistles.  Beagle at least did this on a regular basis .... refs rarely give penalties for a face wash or some stern words after the whistle in a scrum.  Of course we know the games changed.   Myers game hasn't.   At least he plays the game hard.   I highly doubt the teams all of a sudden going to grow some balls with a new coach.   And it doesn't mean we have to like it .... also what it still annoyed at waiving Jonah Gadjovich.   Teams still need those guys.  Nothing sucks more then watching your "leaders" or four guys skating back to the bench while one is scraping himself off the ice.   It's not that bad (our team, or any for that matter) ... but it doesn't mean we have to like it as fans when OEL is "to the rescue", and our fearless leader skates back to the bench.   Linden never did that, and Smyl, all 5'8" of him .... too bad hockey has  changed this much.  

I think what is overlooked is the over all character of the leaders in the past. If a player was in a slump, he contributed in other ways, say , making it difficult for the opposition such as laying hits or just throwing the puck at the net and looking for that elusive garbage goal. 

When we look at todays leaders who would do this now? 

I think we also mistake good hockey players for good leaders these days. Bo is a great hockey player but maybe he lacks certain leadership skills. This team has come out flat numerous times and I have never seen him realize this and do something about it. 

The only person I noticed try to change things up was Miller. The entire top six have slumped and the only one to continually produce is Miller. 

Who have we seen try to inspire the locker room publicly? yes Miller. 

No its not just about fighting but leading in multiple facets and the ability to realize that something needs to be done when things aren't going well. Nobody has been doing that of late and this should be "by committee" but our Captain looks like he can't even lead by his own inspiration, he looks very disinterested lately. Change is needed.