The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

On 10/11/2022 at 7:39 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

BO isn't a better player than Miller, that's where your problem lies and with others as well...

Except he has been through his NHL career by age. The 2 years makes a difference. JT was a 3rd line winger that you hadn't heard about until he was Bo's age now.

5 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

Except he has been through his NHL career by age. The 2 years makes a difference. JT was a 3rd line winger that you hadn't heard about until he was Bo's age now.

That’s not true.  Miller was 26 when he got 72 points in 69 games.  Miller has been over a point a game guy since he was 26 years old.

• Vintage 1

Can we fucking trade Horvat for some God damn D already? He isn't the guy to build around if you are serious about winning. Some nights, it doesn't seem like he gives a shit. He has been here long enough and the team  barely gets a sniff of the playoffs. Enough said. Please don't resign this guy.

5 minutes ago, van_ws said:

Can we fucking trade Horvat for some God damn D already? He isn't the guy to build around if you are serious about winning. Some nights, it doesn't seem like he gives a shit. He has been here long enough and the team  barely gets a sniff of the playoffs. Enough said. Please don't resign this guy.

Omg shut up already. Its one f***ing game. The guys career has been spent in a god damn rebuild and you’re expecting playoffs each year? HE WAS THE ONLY F***ING PROSPECT TO TURN INTO AN NHLER FROM 2005-2013. Jesus. Take your jersey off and go cheer for Toronto. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s not true.  Miller was 26 when he got 72 points in 69 games.  Miller has been over a point a game guy since he was 26 years old.

I guess he was 26 at the start of his first big season, but was 27 at the end of it. So split the difference there, the point was you hadn't heard of him until he was roughly the age Bo is now, whereas Bo has been a much more consistent scorer through his career by age.

23 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

I guess he was 26 at the start of his first big season, but was 27 at the end of it. So split the difference there, the point was you hadn't heard of him until he was roughly the age Bo is now, whereas Bo has been a much more consistent scorer through his career by age.

BO doesn't look like the type of player who is going to score 99 points.  So don't expect some Miller type resurrection from BO over the next 2 years.  He is who he is which is a 2C.

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

BO doesn't look like the type of player who is going to score 99 points.  So don't expect some Miller type resurrection from BO over the next 2 years.  He is who he is which is a 2C.

Yeah, maybe. JT was a 3rd line winger at roughly Bo's age, and you weren't predicting 99 points from him then. We (potentially) will have Bo for all his prime years, so that makes a difference. No guarantee that he will explode, but at least there is the potential. What we do know, and what is guaranteed, is that once JT starts his new contract he will decline (hopefully slowly) and never eclipse his contract year points.

Just now, Got the Babych said:

Yeah, maybe. JT was a 3rd line winger at roughly Bo's age, and you weren't predicting 99 points from him then. We (potentially) will have Bo for all his prime years, so that makes a difference. No guarantee that he will explode, but at least there is the potential. What we do know, and what is guaranteed, is that once JT starts his new contract he will decline (hopefully slowly) and never eclipse his contract year points.

So, what is it exactly that is reassuring you that BO is going to explode into this 80-90+ point player?  What part of his game are you seeing where he can get to Miller's level?  You do realize that in order for BO to get to 90 points he is going to have to get ALOT more assists, right?  Unless you are thinking he can become a 50-goal scorer.  What part of BO's game do you see where he can get 50-60 assists?

I'm genuinely curious as BO has never gotten more than 34 assists in one season and he's not a very good passer like Miller and Petey.  He's a very good goal scorer, but not particularly good at passing the puck which is why he plays the bumper spot on the PP.  

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, what is it exactly that is reassuring you that BO is going to explode into this 80-90+ point player?  What part of his game are you seeing where he can get to Miller's level?  You do realize that in order for BO to get to 90 points he is going to have to get ALOT more assists, right?  Unless you are thinking he can become a 50-goal scorer.  What part of BO's game do you see where he can get 50-60 assists?

I'm genuinely curious as BO has never gotten more than 34 assists in one season and he's not a very good passer like Miller and Petey.  He's a very good goal scorer, but not particularly good at passing the puck which is why he plays the bumper spot on the PP.  

I just said there's no guarantee he will explode in the post you are quoting, but at least he has potential. What is guaranteed is that when Miller starts his next contract he won't be 90+ player. 

It's more about keeping our top scorers. Our 3 centers happen to be our best scorers, and 2 of them often play on the wing. Bo, playing with other goal scorers would automatically get him more assists, and that looks like it will happen this year as we role the "top 9".

But, goals of course are much more valuable than points as that's what ultimately wins games. Points are a thing, but goal scorers are more recognized and rightly so.

We don't have elite players, which might be doable if we can score by committee and have a number of good players on rich but not outrageous contracts.

So, tonite was my first game of the year, no preseason w.e they call it.

I noticed Bo had a few very good scoring chances that he did not capitalize on.

After 2 seperate chances, when the whistle blew he skated around with his head down staring at the ice or to the bench? like wth was that all about.

I mentioned this earlier, that fumble of Bo's.

Thats not the issue.

It happens to everyone.

multiple times a game usually.

but flailing, giving up, going to the bench like Kesler, Dubois and one of the Kostitsyn (sp) brothers is unacceptable, especially for Bo the Captain.

If he wants to be here and is playing for a contract and a higher raise, it sure doesnt show in his on ice play thus far.

I may have been mistaken, but at one point the feed cut to the Canucks bench and the PP unit was in discussion with King, It looked like a heated exchange occured with Bo?

He needs to step up big time

8 hours ago, van_ws said:

Couldn't agree more.

13 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, but Hank was a center from the get go nonetheless whereas Pettersson hasn't had long stretches of only playing center. If he can do it, great, that's fantastic. But he needs to show me he can first before I'm convinced. 

Miller will be 30 in March, 34 comes quick. Life comes at you fast, before you know it Hughes and Pettersson will be the vets on this team. 

Time will tell. 

Dunno why it couldn't be both, I see us having an effective center on the wing as a good thing. All of Horvat, Miller, and Pettersson could be top six players. I'd just necessitate moving someone like Boeser, which is what I'd do anyway. Not that I don't like Boeser. 

Best way to get those kind of bottom six guys is to draft and develop them though, we need to be drafting more centers and D. You're more likely to get a bottom six guy than a top six guy, maybe we've got one in one of your less heralded center prospects? 

I don't know what else to say about your opinion of Petey being a Center. I am pretty sure with Hanks build when he first started, he didn't win many face offs either. I know he didn't win many board battles thats for d@m sure. ::D

Again, Bo is only two years younger then Miller so if Miller's time is coming, so is Bo's.

I think the good teams have set lines and moving a guy from center to wing whenever they feel like is counterproductive. There needs to be time where guys can gain chemistry together. Maybe not Hank/Daniel chemistry but something that allows them to be comfortable in knowing where their partners are going to be on the ice most of the time. I think playing Miller with Petey was only temporary anyway as Petey develops. They seem to be wanting Petey to run his own line this year.

Like I said before, if we move a winger or someone like Bo, only time will tell and only what deals are to be made will dictate who goes. Bo is not an untouchable at this point.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

So, tonite was my first game of the year, no preseason w.e they call it.

I noticed Bo had a few very good scoring chances that he did not capitalize on.

After 2 seperate chances, when the whistle blew he skated around with his head down staring at the ice or to the bench? like wth was that all about.

I mentioned this earlier, that fumble of Bo's.

Thats not the issue.

It happens to everyone.

multiple times a game usually.

but flailing, giving up, going to the bench like Kesler, Dubois and one of the Kostitsyn (sp) brothers is unacceptable, especially for Bo the Captain.

If he wants to be here and is playing for a contract and a higher raise, it sure doesnt show in his on ice play thus far.

I may have been mistaken, but at one point the feed cut to the Canucks bench and the PP unit was in discussion with King, It looked like a heated exchange occured with Bo?

He needs to step up big time

I have noticed this tension for awhile now too. I still think there is some kind of difference between players, they are not yet cohesive and on the same page. If Bo is the Captain I think he has to lead the way in getting them playing as a team. If not, we need to find someone else. 

They were playing like a team in the beginning of the game last night?............................::D

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Got the Babych said:

Just stating the facts, but when JT Miller was 26 (2019-20 season) he was a first line winger and put up 27 goals and 72 points in 69 games (a pace of 32 goals and 86 points).

8 hours ago, Got the Babych said:

I just said there's no guarantee he will explode in the post you are quoting, but at least he has potential. What is guaranteed is that when Miller starts his next contract he won't be 90+ player. 

It's more about keeping our top scorers. Our 3 centers happen to be our best scorers, and 2 of them often play on the wing. Bo, playing with other goal scorers would automatically get him more assists, and that looks like it will happen this year as we role the "top 9".

But, goals of course are much more valuable than points as that's what ultimately wins games. Points are a thing, but goal scorers are more recognized and rightly so.

We don't have elite players, which might be doable if we can score by committee and have a number of good players on rich but not outrageous contracts.

How is that a guarantee?  He's just entered his prime.  There's a good chance that he is a 90pt player for a few seasons.  Wait... unless you're talking about age?  Then yes!  Definitely, Miller will NOT be 90 years old yet.  Although some people do talk about him like he is :P

• Haha 1