The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

3 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I think he agrees with you lol!  The interview started with the hosts saying how excited they were about the new (Rogers) deal.  They joked about how JR would get to talk to them more.  JR sounded less than enthused about that to say the least.

I had a good chuckle listening to that part.

This management group has been pretty good at avoiding leaks and perhaps they talk a bit less than Benning did? I see that as a good think, eventually lip service gets old. 

Probably said too much about Boudreau too, some things should be kept more in house. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

This management group has been pretty good at avoiding leaks and perhaps they talk a bit less than Benning did? I see that as a good think, eventually lip service gets old. 

Probably said too much about Boudreau too, some things should be kept more in house. 

Agreed

I think the comments regarding Bruce are because he became so popular so quickly.  Hoping to quiet some of the uproar (good luck lol) for when we do eventually move on from him.

3 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Agreed

I think the comments regarding Bruce are because he became so popular so quickly.  Hoping to quiet some of the uproar (good luck lol) for when we do eventually move on from him.

I dunno, he didn't have to say anything is the thing. Bruce is on an expiring deal, at pushing 70 he was never going to be a long-term option here, doesn't take a whole lot to put those puzzle pieces together. 

I don't see value in blasting your coach in the press. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno, he didn't have to say anything is the thing. Bruce is on an expiring deal, at pushing 70 he was never going to be a long-term option here, doesn't take a whole lot to put those puzzle pieces together. 

I don't see value in blasting your coach in the press. 

He would have to entirely stop doing interviews.  He was asked pretty direct questions.  Declining to answer is almost worse.  Maybe he should let PA take those questions.  The man is a wizard at answering questions while still saying nothing.

16 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

He would have to entirely stop doing interviews.  He was asked pretty direct questions.  Declining to answer is almost worse.  Maybe he should let PA take those questions.  The man is a wizard at answering questions while still saying nothing.

All the management folks seem to be, which is a good thing in BC

• Cheers 1

It’s good to hear some honesty, whether it plays out or not..

To quote an opinion I read earlier :

The Sabres made a couple of honest rebuilding trades (Eichel, Reinhardt, Risto) and had a prospect bust out in a big way. All of a sudden they’re fun again. You know what the difference between them and the Canucks is? They were honest with themselves

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what Rutherford was thinking making those comments about his head coach. Even if it's not his choice for head coach, he's pretty much throwing Boudreau under the bus. Does Bruce deserve that? 

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

It’s good to hear some honesty, whether it plays out or not..

To quote an opinion I read earlier :

The Sabres made a couple of honest rebuilding trades (Eichel, Reinhardt, Risto) and had a prospect bust out in a big way. All of a sudden they’re fun again. You know what the difference between them and the Canucks is? They were honest with themselves

wish the Canucks would be honest with themselves. 

The next off-season is going to be tough if we are even vaguely similar to now. No cap coming off the books, Horvat to re-sign, Kuzmenko to re-sign, Schenn and Hoglander and Dermott as well in the wings as well as Bear and Burroughs.

Surely you start with Horvat (if he wants to stay) and give him whatever he wants. He deserves 7.5M easily right now. That's -2M of where we are now.

Kuzmenko will be a wild-card, who knows how much he'll ask for, but hopefully we can get him on a friend 3-4M bridge deal (considering he's fairly one-dimensional). We're now -5M from where we are now.

Hoglander doesn't deserve a raise, will get league minimum.

Schenn will hopefully sign or around 1M so not much change there unless he wants to (rightly so) walk.

We may be able to get Bear down to 1M unless he keeps playing top-4 minutes the rest of the season so I doubt his cap hit will change from the 1.8M too much.

Burroughs can surely be re-signed cheaply again so no change there.

If Dermott re-signs he hasn't done anything to warrant a raise on his 1.5M deal so no change again.

Finally the kicker - Miller's cap hit goes up 3M, so we're -8M on cap.

Something's got to give there, 8M in cap space is hard to come by and is multiple moves. Sure Myers is the easy trade for a pick but then we have no one at RD and I don't see this management pulling off any great trades yet if they whiffed on Marino.

I'd say we sell Garland and/or Pearson to free up the cap space and focus on building around centers like Bo and defencemen. We have so much cash piled into wingers, let's just focus on the foundations at center and throw kids/Podz/Hoglander on the wing rather than so many expensive wingers like Brock, Mikheyev, Pearson and Garland.

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what Rutherford was thinking making those comments about his head coach. Even if it's not his choice for head coach, he's pretty much throwing Boudreau under the bus. Does Bruce deserve that? 

I reckon not, but I also blame the guys on the ice more than I blame Bruce. He's not the guys out on the ice flubbing games. Even if we played a better structure I question whether we've got the horses for it. Simply put, our defense isn't very good and our center depth wasn't great to begin with. 

Horvat is a center, Pettersson is a center. There's debate as to whether Miller is a center, I view him more as a wing. Lazar is a center. Not legit 3C, the idea of trying to stack the first three down the middle was always dumb. We have a forward heavy roster that is geared towards offense, anyone with a brain could have seen that going into the season, our ability to defend was always going to be our biggest weakness. And it is. And it probably won't be a quick or easy fix. 

Rutherford is frustrated, management is frustrated. The coaching staff are frustrated, the players are frustrated. Lot of fans are frustrated. There's a different kind of tension surrounding this team this season because they're following up a season that a lot of people came to believe was an anomaly. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

28 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I reckon not, but I also blame the guys on the ice more than I blame Bruce. He's not the guys out on the ice flubbing games. Even if we played a better structure I question whether we've got the horses for it. Simply put, our defense isn't very good and our center depth wasn't great to begin with. 

Horvat is a center, Pettersson is a center. There's debate as to whether Miller is a center, I view him more as a wing. Lazar is a center. Not legit 3C, the idea of trying to stack the first three down the middle was always dumb. We have a forward heavy roster that is geared towards offense, anyone with a brain could have seen that going into the season, our ability to defend was always going to be our biggest weakness. And it is. And it probably won't be a quick or easy fix. 

Rutherford is frustrated, management is frustrated. The coaching staff are frustrated, the players are frustrated. Lot of fans are frustrated. There's a different kind of tension surrounding this team this season because they're following up a season that a lot of people came to believe was an anomaly. 

No kidding eh. But Rutherford's comments still don't make a lot of sense. He's literally throwing Bruce under the media bus with the comments he's made about the structure and the coaching. It's like he's saying he doesn't like the way Bruce is coaching, or his systems. Well, if that's the case, then why did he come onboard in the first place? He knew that Boudreau was put in place by Aquilini before he even came (if I remember correctly), but he didn't know that the owner gave the head coach another year? 

If he's going to throw the coach under the bus, might as well throw the owner under there as well. 

At this point, nothing to lose for JR. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, cripplereh said:

If we can find a new home for Pearson and Brock and the cap goes up 2 mill or so we will be fine.

The answer lies in that statement; get rid of Beoser. He should have never been signed in the first place to a multi year contract....especially by a front office that bitched about their cap space.

The question; who takes that contarct without a sweetner? This one is just another JB special with a swedish twist.

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

No kidding eh. But Rutherford's comments still don't make a lot of sense. He's literally throwing Bruce under the media bus with the comments he's made about the structure and the coaching. It's like he's saying he doesn't like the way Bruce is coaching, or his systems. Well, if that's the case, then why did he come onboard in the first place? He knew that Boudreau was put in place by Aquilini before he even came (if I remember correctly), but he didn't know that the owner gave the head coach another year? 

If he's going to throw the coach under the bus, might as well throw the owner under there as well. 

JR should have relieved him of his duties over the summer. It would have been an unpopular decision given the late season success, but shouldn't a 70 year old President be able to put his big boy pants on. Get the coach that runs the team as you want.....then make trades, sign, draft players that play this system. Not rocket science...unless you are scared of criticism. 

50 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Thing is, if he replaces him and nothing changes management will look like idiots 

They're better off just riding out the season with him at this point unless they can get who they think is their guy 

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Thing is, if he replaces him and nothing changes management will look like idiots 

They're better off just riding out the season with him at this point unless they can get who they think is their guy 

That is operating scared. That is why they wanted a seasoned President like JR; he'd be bold and get the team on the right track. If we are going to operate scared, I would have preferred a Sedin get the gig that JR.

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Kuzmenko will be a wild-card, who knows how much he'll ask for, but hopefully we can get him on a friend 3-4M bridge deal (considering he's fairly one-dimensional). 

Kuzmenko will be a 27 year old UFA looking to cash in on a long term contract, no bridge for him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

The answer lies in that statement; get rid of Beoser. He should have never been signed in the first place to a multi year contract....especially by a front office that bitched about their cap space.

The question; who takes that contarct without a sweetner? This one is just another JB special with a swedish twist.

Minnesota might want their hometown guy