The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

1 hour ago, suitup said:

Honestly, wouldn’t mind moving them for no value. I do like Boeser but he’s a sniper who doesn’t shoot and carries a big cap hit. Pearson isn’t effective and can be traded. That’s a lot of cap to keep the entire core. Trade Myers for next to no value and that’s 6.5. The only albatross is OEL which we realistically cannot move. I’m okay with building from there even if we suck for a couple years and getting good prospects. Similar to an Avs rebuild/retool. They kept their main pieces and added. So did NYR. 

Problem is much of the league is in the same boat as us, and the teams that do have cap space to spare will charge. Hell, the team with the most space in Buffalo is looking competitive and likely won't want anchors. 

Moving players out will likely involve taking cap back in most cases, even if we're just swapping our headache for someone else's.

Maybe there's more flexibility next offseason, but right now cap space is at a premium.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Did JR just say they're actively shopping Bo and he's increasing his value right now?

Going with Miller over Bo will set this franchise up for failure, if we're trading one we might as well flip the other and rebuild. You retool with Bo, you rebuild by selling both, you win with both or you go nowhere with Miller.

Right now he's working his way to 8M territory which we can't afford but we should have had some insight into this last year when discussing Miller.

This management team will be judged, and judged brutally for how they deal with these 2 centers in the long run because it's a pivitol time in our franchise.

We handled Petey and Hughes very well but that was a fairly easy task, you'd think trading/signing Miller and Bo would be easy but boy did they struggle to deal with Miller's situation.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

I bet same thing happened with Miller.  Original ask was probably $9M AAV and it eventually came down to $8M.

My sense is that Bo's not budging, which is why an extension hasn't been reached yet. Last I heard, Allvin said he hadn't spoken to Bo's camp in weeks. That's not a good sign...

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Did JR just say they're actively shopping Bo and he's increasing his value right now?

Going with Miller over Bo will set this franchise up for failure, if we're trading one we might as well flip the other and rebuild. You retool with Bo, you rebuild by selling both, you win with both or you go nowhere with Miller.

Right now he's working his way to 8M territory which we can't afford but we should have had some insight into this last year when discussing Miller.

This management team will be judged, and judged brutally for how they deal with these 2 centers in the long run because it's a pivitol time in our franchise.

We handled Petey and Hughes very well but that was a fairly easy task, you'd think trading/signing Miller and Bo would be easy but boy did they struggle to deal with Miller's situation.

Not promising if you ask me. I don't have a lot of confidence in Rutherford or Allvin at this point. 

And I certainly don't have a lot of confidence that they would make the right choice. They didn't, for me, when they signed Miller to that massive extension. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Problem is much of the league is in the same boat as us, and the teams that do have cap space to spare will charge. Hell, the team with the most space in Buffalo is looking competitive and likely won't want anchors. 

Moving players out will likely involve taking cap back in most cases, even if we're just swapping our headache for someone else's.

Maybe there's more flexibility next offseason, but right now cap space is at a premium.

Is it just me, or does it seem like GM's are't really that smart. Signing contracts like the one Allvin signed Miller to. Why do GM's do this? For me, if you have both, say Miller and Horvat, you always go with the younger player, and Bo's younger, makes sense. For me, yes, Miller could sustain his level of play, but statistically, it's not normal for a player in their 30's to continue to produce at an elite level. It's just the reality. There's the rare case where it does happen (where a player does produce at an elite level well into their thirties, but how often does that happen??). The right decision would have been to sign Bo first to a long term deal. You secure your captain, and signal to the rest of the team, that our captain and leader is back and we're good to go. If Miller doesn't agree to terms, then you trade him for assets at the TDL. 

Now, we are most likely forced to trade Bo at the TDL, and now we have a centre duo of Petey and Miller? Yeah, no to that, man. And unless management makes the right decisions this coming off-season, can't believe I'm talking about that 14 games into this "new" season, I can't see Petey sticking around. 

I didn't even bother listening or watching to the game tonight. We're now 4-7-3 on the season, is this season still redeemable? 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Not promising if you ask me. I don't have a lot of confidence in Rutherford or Allvin at this point. 

And I certainly don't have a lot of confidence that they would make the right choice. They didn't, for me, when they signed Miller to that massive extension. 

If they trade Bo and make us a mess of a team without properly rebuilding I really hope Aquaman steps in and cleans house again. I know the Aquilinis don't want to rebuild but you can't trade Bo unless you're going to. There's no way we stay competitive without Horvat so if he's going we're going to tank hard.

Trading Miller would have been perfect for a retool, even if we just got a player and 1st back. I would have taken Chytil, Lundqvist and a 1st in a heartbeat but honestly right now I'd even take Lundqvist and a 1st for Miller. Letting him walk would have been less damaging than signing him to an 8M deal.

That's a move by management to say we want to win now, so now turning back and trading Bo is very conflicting. I get the team hasn't performed as they thought they would, but they've got to be careful with how they manage Bo. He's a well loved team mate and fan favourite too, and I can see this management team alienating everyone by firing Bruce and trading Bo...

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If they trade Bo and make us a mess of a team without properly rebuilding I really hope Aquaman steps in and cleans house again. I know the Aquilinis don't want to rebuild but you can't trade Bo unless you're going to. There's no way we stay competitive without Horvat so if he's going we're going to tank hard.

Trading Miller would have been perfect for a retool, even if we just got a player and 1st back. I would have taken Chytil, Lundqvist and a 1st in a heartbeat but honestly right now I'd even take Lundqvist and a 1st for Miller. Letting him walk would have been less damaging than signing him to an 8M deal.

That's a move by management to say we want to win now, so now turning back and trading Bo is very conflicting. I get the team hasn't performed as they thought they would, but they've got to be careful with how they manage Bo. He's a well loved team mate and fan favourite too, and I can see this management team alienating everyone by firing Bruce and trading Bo...

Yeah, the optics aren't great, I agree. And how can they say that they want to win if they're trading Bo. I get releasing Bruce. He isn't this management's choice. Bo plays a premium position, and he's good at it. He deserves every bit the penny that Miller has gotten, maybe even more with the way he's producing at the moment. If he keeps this up all year, it's going to be tough to keep him. I get the sense that Horvat's not going to give management any sort of discount, which makes it hard to build a competitive team. I don't want Bo to leave, he's one of my favorite Canucks, drafted as a Canuck, I was hoping he's be a lifetime Canuck. But that seems like a far away dream at this moment. This year has been tough as a fan I won't lie. Sometimes I feel and wish for the season to be over with. It's getting pretty depressing hearing the games, and watching them (if I do). 

I'd give Bo his 8 years, at 8M. If he gives us 7.5M, I'd take that, but I doubt it at this stage. 

I would much rather see Bo lead by example and start preventing high danger chances and goals against than keep pushing his goal total...that right there illustrates his poor leadership. Contract year results over what is best for the team. He hasn't and can't lead this team over the hump and will never have higher trade value than this year (after he regresses next year in a non-contract year).

Mgmt need to correct last year's mistake and trade Bo, Miller, Boeser, Myers, Stillman and Pearson at the TDL...individually they should have some value to contending teams (especially if salary is retained on Myers and Pearson). Get a tonne of assets for Bo and get whatever 2023 draft pick they can for the rest (draft or use as trade chips)

Edited by 5nothincanucksohno
  • RoughGame 1

3 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I would much rather see Bo lead by example and start preventing high danger chances and goals against than keep pushing his goal total...that right there illustrates his poor leadership. Contract year results over what is best for the team. He hasn't and can't lead this team over the hump and will never have higher trade value than this year (after he regresses next year in a non-contract year).

Mgmt need to correct last year's mistake and trade Bo, Miller, Boeser, Myers, Stillman and Pearson at the TDL...individually they should have some value to contending teams (especially if salary is retained on Myers and Pearson). Get a tonne of assets for Bo and get whatever 2023 draft pick they can for the rest (draft or use as trade chips)

???

poor leadership from Bo horvat because he’s scoring goals for the team..right

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Good, that means mgmt has to trade him...hopefully along with Miller, Boeser, Myers, Stillman and Pearson at the TDL

Bo is a good Canuck but his time is done...he can't get them over the hump and his value will never be higher (after he regresses next year in a non-contract year)

This is my main stumbling block as well. A good player, but all of these "good players" are getting us nowhere.

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I am sure some teams are looking for more offense and are willing to give up more defensive minded players for them. We have an over abundance of smaller offensive players but no one to play the PK or help us hold leads. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like GM's are't really that smart. Signing contracts like the one Allvin signed Miller to. Why do GM's do this? For me, if you have both, say Miller and Horvat, you always go with the younger player, and Bo's younger, makes sense. For me, yes, Miller could sustain his level of play, but statistically, it's not normal for a player in their 30's to continue to produce at an elite level. It's just the reality. There's the rare case where it does happen (where a player does produce at an elite level well into their thirties, but how often does that happen??). The right decision would have been to sign Bo first to a long term deal. You secure your captain, and signal to the rest of the team, that our captain and leader is back and we're good to go. If Miller doesn't agree to terms, then you trade him for assets at the TDL. 

Now, we are most likely forced to trade Bo at the TDL, and now we have a centre duo of Petey and Miller? Yeah, no to that, man. And unless management makes the right decisions this coming off-season, can't believe I'm talking about that 14 games into this "new" season, I can't see Petey sticking around. 

I didn't even bother listening or watching to the game tonight. We're now 4-7-3 on the season, is this season still redeemable? 

This makes sense "IF" Bo is willing to budge on his demands. Bo says he is a "Team First " kinda guy but his actions are not speaking that. He is pumping himself up for that big pay day and nothing else. Miller budged and that is the only reason he has a new contract. I am sure they would have did the same for Bo if he worked with them. 

30 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Bo says he is a "Team First " kinda guy but his actions are not speaking that. He is pumping himself up for that big pay day and nothing else.

Or the actions of the team management, by not signing their captain, leading goal scorer and best face off guy, are placing the team in a horibble, horrible spot.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

This makes sense "IF" Bo is willing to budge on his demands. Bo says he is a "Team First " kinda guy but his actions are not speaking that. He is pumping himself up for that big pay day and nothing else. Miller budged and that is the only reason he has a new contract. I am sure they would have did the same for Bo if he worked with them. 

39 minutes ago, gurn said:

Or the actions of the team management, by not signing their captain, leading goal scorer and best face off guy, are placing the team in a horibble, horrible spot.

Probably a combination of both.  That's why I think Bo will be traded by the TDL.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Cry whine he doesn’t score enough -  bad leader 

Start scoring he’s selfish needs to play better defensively 

some people on here are hilarious. 
what he can’t lead a team of scrubs Jb assembled lolololol

I hope he goes to media and says he’s going to ufa in the summer and will not sign a contract anywhere until then.

it’s his contract year he saw how miller got rewarded for a career year but yeah horvats the problem almost 60% in the face off circle. He needs to do more lololololololololol. 
Some are so clueless. Other team would be lining up for one of the leagues best second line centers at 28 in his prime. Not Vancouver fans they want a big splash ufa signing or trade for a tired old overpaid  vet. That’s worked so well. Trade him for picks and prospects that’ll help. 
laughable really. 

how bout miller start earning that 8 mill contract instead of being 

a defensive pylon

how bout OEL shows up

or Myers doesn’t look like he’s playing for the other team maybe Demko could make a save Pearson’s been a joke. 
but yeah it’s horvats fault Benning loaded up on aged plugs he needs to do more than lead the team by example until he does then sone will cry he needs to do something else. 

I hope he does get moved and I hope he gets a big pay day he deserves better than the eternal loser team he’s been on then the fools on here can watch him have success elsewhere and complain about that. 

Edited by combover
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Probably a combination of both.  That's why I think Bo will be traded by the TDL.

Bo is from southern Ontario, so I wonder if a trade with Detroit or Buffalo might be locations he would extend, so we could get more in return?  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, combover said:

Cry whine he doesn’t score enough -  bad leader 

Start scoring he’s selfish needs to play better defensively 

some people on here are hilarious. 
what he can’t lead a team of scrubs Jb assembled lolololol

I hope he goes to media and says he’s going to ufa in the summer and will not sign a contract anywhere until then.

it’s his contract year he saw how miller got rewarded for a career year but yeah horvats the problem almost 60% in the face off circle. He needs to do more lololololololololol. 
Some are so clueless. Other team would be lining up for one of the leagues best second line centers at 28 in his prime. Not Vancouver fans they want a big splash ufa signing or trade for a tired old overpaid  vet. That’s worked so well. 
laughable really. 

how bout miller start earning that 8 mill contract instead of being 

a defensive pylon

how bout OEL shows up

or Myers doesn’t look like he’s playing for the other team maybe Demko could make a save Pearson’s been a joke. 
but yeah it’s horvats fault Benning loaded up on aged plugs he needs to do more than lead the team by example until he does then sone will cry he needs to do something else. 

No matter what we do unless Demko gets back to being top five best in the league we are going to keep losing a lot. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, Alflives said:

Bo is from southern Ontario, so I wonder if a trade with Detroit or Buffalo might be locations he would extend, so we could get more in return?  

I know Detroit could REALLY use Horvat.  Their faceoff percentages are atrocious. 

https://octopusthrower.com/2022/10/23/detroit-red-wings-face-off-woes/

I'd go straight after Edvinsson.  Allow Detroit to talk to Bo for an extension beforehand.  A 1-for-1 deal, then start tearing things down from there starting with Boeser, Pearson, etc.

• Like 1