The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I take issue with a Captain who may never be able to fight or stick up for himself when a bigger, stronger player decides to make an example of him. When "defense" wins championships, and your leader cannot lead by example in this regard? That's an issue.

I don't believe Wayne Gretzky ever fought.  Does Connor McDavid fight?  Did Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman ever drop the gloves?  Was Ray Bourque a fighter?  What about Mario Lemieux?  

As for sticking up for himself, Petey is constantly hitting back and not allowing other players to abuse him.  

Also, not sure what you mean by the bolded statement.  Petey is literally our best defensive forward, he's on the first unit PK and is a complete 200' player...

• Vintage 3

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I wouldn't do it. If we move guys out we can move guys in, we can also go with 3-4 A's.

Sometimes it's better to be patient and let a leader emerge, the void doesn't need to be filled immediately. If that turns out to be Pettersson in the end so be it, but I wouldn't rush anything just to market a captain.

Lot of leaders in a room, but I'm not sure I see Pettersson as a guy who wants to deal with the media more than he already does.

I don't see alot of leaders on this team, which is one of the biggest problems we have.  Too many followers and not enough leaders.  It's a really bad mix we have...

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I don't like to call them outliers, cold hard numbers, statistics and data calls them outliers.

"Beliefs" over logic, science and data are for ignorant right wingers Bish :P

No, you dont 'like', you love to call them that.

Now listen you spicy muffin. I used the term 'gamble' and called them elusive. You are correct that it is just my belief that JT has more miles in the tank than you think he does.

I like to think of it as optimism mixed with JT's stats, resonable contract and intangibles like leadership that makes him a keeper. 

Now, you lay off those right wingers. Like players in their 30's, not all are useless.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't see alot of leaders on this team, which is one of the biggest problems we have.  Too many followers and not enough leaders.  It's a really bad mix we have...

You may be right, but the problems on this roster are more complex than leaders and followers 

I just don't see the point in rushing someone, it's not uncommon for teams to not have a captain and the captaincy is overemphasized by hockey fans anyway imo

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What about Mario Lemieux?  

I remember Mario getting it to it a bit.

Didn't Cheech fight him? 

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Bo, JT, Luke are probably the leaders. EP is becoming one. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't believe Wayne Gretzky ever fought.  Does Connor McDavid fight?  Did Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman ever drop the gloves?  Was Ray Bourque a fighter?  What about Mario Lemieux?  

As for sticking up for himself, Petey is constantly hitting back and not allowing other players to abuse him.  

Also, not sure what you mean by the bolded statement.  Petey is literally our best defensive forward, he's on the first unit PK and is a complete 200' player...

Gretzky didn't need to fight, he had Semenko. Yzerman and Lemieux DID fight when needed. Sakic never backed down to anyone. McDavid has been lately finishing his checks and he uses his big body to his advantage. Bourque? I don't remember seeing him fight.

Petey is what I call a "stick checker" he is going to pick your pocket as opposed to bodying someone off the puck. It may work sometimes but not every time. When it doesn't, his opponent is off to the races. He has been taking the body more this year, which is great. 

You are correct, though, he is very similar to Hank in ways I wish he wasn't.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We have OK offensive leaders but not many defensive leaders. Schenn is one of the few that come to mind.

• Like 1

I reckon my captain preference leans more towards guys who aren't naturally in the spotlight as much. Your Jordan Staal in Carolina, your Boone Jenner in Columbus. Even Dustin Brown fits the mold more despite him having been more of a dirty player, he was an effective offensive player but he wasn't in the spotlight so much. 

This isn't to say top players can't handle the media spotlight that comes with the captaincy but I don't believe it's for everyone. There's already a lot of pressure that comes with being counted on to produce high level offense. Lot of captains don't have to deal with the media spotlight that comes with playing in a Canadian city either, and that's a different animal entirely. Bo's always shouldered that well imo, so did Hank. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Wayner actually had 3 fights in his career, the one I remember well was with Neal Broten of the Minnesota North Stars....#99 ate a few knuckle sandwiches and dropped to the ice like a house of cards haha.

And yes, he certainly didn't need to fight, his body of work speaks for itself :)

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

6 hours ago, Provost said:

… another new coach?  You really think that is the problem with the team?

We can’t build around Petterson, he isn’t signed long term and won’t be under club control by the time we are winning enough for him to want to stay.

I think we can. And I think we should. 

We have him next season and RFA after.

Management says they have a 2-3 year plan.

Of course things are changing but if they communicate to him this is your team going forward with a clear vision, direction and commitment to building a team around him that embodies the values of a winning culture.

I do think selling on Horvat at an all time high this season and rebuilding Millers value (playing him on the wing with Bo) and trading him at the TDL combined with trimming the veteran fat and being rewarded for our misery with this draft and land a quality piece like:

Bedard, Fantili, Mitchkov, Carlsson, Yager 

That would be huge.

A core of one of the above with Hughes petey and demko would be grade A and up there with the best in the league. And we really do need one more grade A chip in our core to build around I think.

But we would have to really maximize our returns with JT and Bo and be astute in asset management going forward. And we have to stop building the wings and neglecting the back end it’s insane.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

But it wasn't this way at all last year. After the changes. And during the stretch albeit with Tanev and Marky and crew still here... The COVID bubble they played with leadership and confidence. 

I'm not saying I know the answer of what it is. But it's not 100% a personal problem. One thing I'll say is their game day practices during a shite period of play should be mandatory.. I don't know why they aren't being pushed more by Bruce to practice more and harder. They need some tough love. They should be better than this. Too many collapses looks to me like mental preparedness is weak

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Trade Bo for futures.  Then tradebMiller for futures.  Then trade the rest and f th S mess for futures.  We, fans, need to have a glimmer of hope for a better future!  Because the present is a TOTAL SUCKEROO,  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Trade Bo for futures.  Then tradebMiller for futures.  Then trade the rest and f th S mess for futures.  We, fans, need to have a glimmer of hope for a better future!  Because the present is a TOTAL SUCKEROO,  

Dude I said Dumparoo the other day and was pretty much shaking my head saying damnit Alf ... 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well you never know until you ask. I would at least make the phone call. Having all 3 Hughes brothers could be a marketing bonanza for New Jersey. 

They are not even doing anything close to that trade.

Makes no sense for them to trade for Hughes. They are not the Canucks, they want cups, which will bring in the money.