The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

2 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Bo is a consistent player just starting to get line mates of his quality

I hear you. But ironically Bo finally has a legit winger in JT and they are golden together. Gotta find a way to keep both but so many crap contacts need to go. Tough situation. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

But in all seriousness you need to define what objectively makes a 1C. Goals:Assist ratio does not make sense. You're better off having a player, no matter what the position, have 20g and 7a than having 8g and 14a. Total points makes more sense other than some arbitrary ratio. Specific to playing Center could look at FOW% or look at TOI across all centers. Both of which Bo would be top 30 I reckon, which imo is 1C. This season is obviously an outlier compared to previous years but the fact remains that he is performing at 1C level this year.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly.  The only one…

Oh come on, that was funny...and just because he is the only 1C with 3x goals to assist, doesn't mean he isn't a 1c. If it was 9g and 3a that is different obviously... but he is 3rd in the NHL in goals. That's elite. Whether he maintains the pace is obviously yet to be seen.

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

But in all seriousness you need to define what objectively makes a 1C. Goals:Assist ratio does not make sense. You're better off having a player, no matter what the position, have 20g and 7a than having 8g and 14a. Total points makes more sense other than some arbitrary ratio. Specific to playing Center could look at FOW% or look at TOI across all centers. Both of which Bo would be top 30 I reckon, which imo is 1C. This season is obviously an outlier compared to previous years but the fact remains that he is performing at 1C level this year.

The problem with calling BO a 1C is that his 60 goal pace is unsustainable and so that number will drop back to 30-35 goals.  Add that to his 20-25 assist and that puts him at 60 points.  A 1C is not a 60 point player.

A 1C is a set up man, a play driver and a guy that can make his wingers better.  That describes Elias Pettersson not Bo Horvat.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Oh come on, that was funny...and just because he is the only 1C with 3x goals to assist, doesn't mean he isn't a 1c. If it was 9g and 3a that is different obviously... but he is 3rd in the NHL in goals. That's elite. Whether he maintains the pace is obviously yet to be seen.

BO isn’t even a 1C on his own team, what makes you think he’s an actual 1C?  If he was an actual 1C 15 teams would be bidding for his services…

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

BO isn’t even a 1C on his own team, what makes you think he’s an actual 1C?  If he was an actual 1C 15 teams would be bidding for his services…

I think for the sake of argument you need to use objectivity. 1C should be top 32 centers in the league (goals, assists, FOW%, TOI... whatever other applicable stats). Bo is there this year (so far) and he may well have many teams bidding for his services. The future is unknown we can only look at the available information you can't peg him to 60 points this year 30% through the season. He could end the year at his typical totals, or he could cool off slightly and hit 40g, or he could maintain close to this pace and score 50+. I'm sure his TOI is up there, he is 3rd in the league in goals, he is on PP and PK, he is a plus player on a bad team and he is top 3 in FOW% out of the top 30 scoring centers (most points). This year he is a 1C until proven otherwise.

11 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think for the sake of argument you need to use objectivity. 1C should be top 32 centers in the league (goals, assists, FOW%, TOI... whatever other applicable stats). Bo is there this year (so far) and he may well have many teams bidding for his services. The future is unknown we can only look at the available information you can't peg him to 60 points this year 30% through the season. He could end the year at his typical totals, or he could cool off slightly and hit 40g, or he could maintain close to this pace and score 50+. I'm sure his TOI is up there, he is 3rd in the league in goals, he is on PP and PK, he is a plus player on a bad team and he is top 3 in FOW% out of the top 30 scoring centers (most points). This year he is a 1C until proven otherwise.

So BO is a 1C for 26 games of his 9 year career.  Okay, I will give you that one.  Hopefully there is a bidding war and we get back a return that is typical for a 1C…

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The problem with calling BO a 1C is that his 60 goal pace is unsustainable and so that number will drop back to 30-35 goals.  Add that to his 20-25 assist and that puts him at 60 points.  A 1C is not a 60 point player.

A 1C is a set up man, a play driver and a guy that can make his wingers better.  That describes Elias Pettersson not Bo Horvat.

30-35 goals? He already has 20 goals. You are saying he will manage 10-15 goals in the next 56 games?

As long as he is playing on #1PP, he will pot minimum 20 goals.

2 minutes ago, jyu said:

30-35 goals? He already has 20 goals. You are saying he will manage 10-15 goals in the next 56 games?

As long as he is playing on #1PP, he will pot minimum 20 goals.

I was referring to next year, and the year after.  Just like Miller, BO is having a career year that is not sustainable long term...

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

20 goals and 7 assists.  Those are the stats of a top line winger, not a 1C.  Show me a 1C in the NHL who has 3 times as many goals as assists.  I'll wait...

You said no matter how many goals he scores he won’t be a first line Centre. That’s a terrible take. Period. 

I could see a team who really needs a center going high via UFA. Horvat could definitely get 8, at that point it's just another million. Carolina could do it, so could Washington depending on what happens with Backstrom.

Edited by Coconuts