The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think they were also just scared to lose him for nothing and of what the fan reaction would be i.e. possibly already feeling the Canadian market pressure. They likely also felt that Bo would sign a team-friendly deal, but their version of team friendly was insulting. 

This new management group has made some terrible decisions already and made this whole Benning situation so much worse, which is kinda unbelievable, and almost impressive, in a Ron Burgandy kinda way.

ron burgundy anchorman GIF

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think they were also just scared to lose him for nothing and of what the fan reaction would be i.e. possibly already feeling the Canadian market pressure. They likely also felt that Bo would sign a team-friendly deal, but their version of team friendly was insulting. 

This new management group has made some terrible decisions already and made this whole Benning situation so much worse, which is kinda unbelievable, and almost impressive, in a Ron Burgandy kinda way.

Yeah, they ate a whole wheel of cheese

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

In the Summer it was pretty unanimous that going to 7 million or 7+ for Bo was an overpayment.  His offense was there but nowhere near like it has been now. Hes not really a shutdown C.  Signing him now to anywhere near 8 or 8+ just seems another massive gamble that I wouldnt do.

Mgmt already wagered pretty heavily on JT.  Dont need another bet like that on the books.    

This might sound nuts but I think Aman can be a 3C next year and possibly even develop into a more defensive minded 2C with the right wingers.  If Mgmt can find a ahort term 2C for the next 2-3 years I would trade both Bo and JT (although I think is one of the few emotional leaders on this team). 

It wasn't unanimous though, there were quite a few folks around here who said 7M would be absolutely fair. That being said, there was a contingent who were adamant that Horvat shouldn't make more than Boeser, or get anything close to 7M. But no, it wasn't unanimous. Hell, I remember arguing with folks back in like September that 7M could be seen as team-friendly. 

They could always flip JT, he doesn't have trade protection yet. Doesn't have to be a gamble, could very easily work to find him a landing spot he'd be okay to go to, it'd just involve bringing cap back. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

18 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

It seemed, Allvin was both overwhelmed and overthinking

But it was everyone, not just them. All the talk here, in the media, around the team. It was all the same. It seemed like a completely accepted fact that it was one or the other, and if JT started the season with the team and no contract it was a completely failure.

Am I wrong and just remembering wrong? It never seemed like selling at the deadline was an option with JT. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

It wasn't unanimous though, there were quite a few folks around here who said 7M would be absolutely fair. That being said, there was a contingent who were adamant that Horvat shouldn't make more than Boeser, or get anything close to 7M. But no, it wasn't unanimous. Hell, I remember arguing with folks back in like September that 7M could be seen as team-friendly. 

They could always flip JT, he doesn't have trade protection yet. Doesn't have to be a gamble, could very easily work to find him a landing spot he'd be okay to go with. 

Where do you see him landing?

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Was that due to cap though, or just poor judgement?  Benning spent equal cap on the replacements.  Holtby + Schmidt + the new contracts for Demk and Jake.  

Ofcourse, it is poor management cause the cap crunch was also the result, of poor management - but we can't discuss any of the FO, without the context of having a meddling owner...

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

But it was everyone, not just them. All the talk here, in the media, around the team. It was all the same. It seemed like a completely accepted fact that it was one or the other, and if JT started the season with the team and no contract it was a completely failure.

Am I wrong and just remembering wrong? It never seemed like selling at the deadline was an option with JT. 

Also, the FAILED (with hindsight) playoff chase was perhaps a big reason for not trading him, just like the reason for not selling JM and Tanev: the Covid play in.  

22 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently. In the summer it just seemed like it was what it was. They had to sign him or trade him. Starting the season without a contract or deal just wasn't an option it seemed. But looking back now...why? Imagine this team having both players on expiring deals for the tdl? 

Could have kickstarted a rebuild in a massive way.

JR had no plans to rebuild in the summer, nor does he still have any plans to rebuild.  They wanted either Horvat or Miller done prior to the season, and they were able to get Miller done at the price they wanted.  Coming off a 99 point season they felt he had the higher value.  Horvat has muddled things up by having a career year that no one expected.  So now they are basically forced to trade him as they don't want to give him an 8x8 contract.  

They can still retool even with Miller on the team.  They need to trade BO, Boeser, Garland and either trade Pearson or Myers this summer or at next year's deadline.  That should free up $26 million in cap space.  The key is to get some younger players, prospects and not just have money in, money out.  That way they can be active in free agency next year and go after a guy like Artem Zub.  Jake Livingstone should be a no brainer as well, so that is 2 RHD right there.  I'd go after a guy like Cal Foote as well, as he might not be a fit in Tampa anymore.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

The rumored return.  I do remember hearing the same thing but I thought it was fan/media speculation.  Do you know if there is/was an actual report of what the offered return was?

Well insiders reported that was the offer so as confirmed as it gets 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1