The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey is our best player.  Miller is better than Bo too.  Just look at their numbers over the last three seasons.  It’s not even close.  I’m hoping our owner will keep his snout out of the Bo stuff, but I’m thinking he will pressure management 8nto re-signing him, when we all pretty much know the return for Bo (if futures) is what this club really needs to be bette4 two years from now. 

Your Bang On here Alf. They are all offensive minded players who are not strong defensively. Contrary to popular belief, Bo is no Bergeron. It was never a wise choice to keep all three, someone has to play defense. ::D

• Like 1

I think Boston is gonna be the partner 

to Boston:

Horvat

to Van:

Carlo 

Mike Reilly (cap dump for them- very competent defenseman for us) 

1st (has to be a 1st because they’ll be at the bottom of the draft)

Our defence:

Hughes-Carlo

Reilly-Bear

OEL-McDermott 

Myers buyout only costs 1m/year on the cap - saves 5. 

Boston moved enough cap out to re-sign Horvat (assuming Bergeron is retiring or will come back very cheap) 

Our D is rebuilt, and we end up with cap space after the Myers buyout to get a defensively responsible winger for Miller 

Just now, eeeeergh said:

to Boston:

Horvat

to Van:

Carlo 

Our defence:

Hughes-Carlo

Reilly-Bear

OEL-McDermott 

Boston moved enough cap out to re-sign Horvat (assuming Bergeron is retiring or will come back very cheap) 

Our D is rebuilt, and we end up with cap space after the Myers buyout to get a defensively responsible winger for Miller 

Or just keep Myers for one more season instead of doing something stupid like creating dead cap.  No buyouts or retained salary should be considered acceptable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Your Bang On here Alf. They are all offensive minded players who are not strong defensively. Contrary to popular belief, Bo is no Bergeron. It was never a wise choice to keep all three, someone has to play defense. ::D

Bo is no Bergeron and I’ve never seen anyone say that. But he is a solid 2 way player. 

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Again one player doesn’t make the team. So it’s the team not being good enough. Period. 

Hey we agree again. Your right, we have far too many offensive minded players both forwards and defense right now. Petey , Bo and Miller are all offense with little defense, that's a concern as a whole. Do we really need Hughes, Myers and OEL? Same thing.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Or just keep Myers for one more season instead of doing something stupid like creating dead cap.  No buyouts or retained salary should be considered acceptable.

Retained salary deal for next season or deadline on expiring deals is fine imo. 

Edited by canuck73_3

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

1m of dead cap is worth it if you have the space to acquire a good player for cheap b/c of another teams cap issues 

the cap will go up and when it does the 1m for an extra year or two will be negligible vs the benefit of securing a cheap asset 

id argue weaponizinf that cap space and taking on some bad contract for another 1st rounder is actually probably a good bet too

when the cap goes up bigly it won’t be possible to weaponize cap space like that 

5 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

to Boston:

Horvat

to Van:

Carlo 

Our defence:

Hughes-Carlo

Reilly-Bear

OEL-McDermott 

I think the Canucks need a prospect too.  At minimum it would be a 1st, prospect and a player.  If you include the cap dump then you need more.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Bo is no Bergeron and I’ve never seen anyone say that. But he is a solid 2 way player. 

The eye test says otherwise. He gets a free pass from many fans for his passenger play, for some reason. Granted, he is a scoring machine and good at faceoffs, but he's not a defensive player and floats an awful lot like Miller does when the team doesn't have the puck.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

The eye test says otherwise. He gets a free pass from many fans for his passenger play, for some reason. Granted, he is a scoring machine and good at faceoffs, but he's not a defensive player and floats an awful lot like Miller does when the team doesn't have the puck.

I wouldn't say he floats.  He's just not smart enough in the defensive end.  If he would block more shots, or uses his size more in the defensive end, it might be a different story.  I don't blame him for not blocking as many shots though, his last season ended while taking a shot in the foot.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

He recently finished 34th in selke voting so solid 2 way player is suitable. 

Regardless the Bergeron quip is laughable considering when he retires you could make an arguement to call it the Bergeron Award… 

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

It’s game 7 in the playoffs.  There is not a circumstance I can think of where is rather have Miller on the ice over Bo.  Miller is erratic, will make the same low percentage cross ice pass over and over, gives up on plays, and let’s emotion direct his game. This got him traded out of NY- so he has a history of this.

Don’t care if he gets 15-20 more points in a season. His high risk high reward style is not a good attribute when it’s all on the line. 

Regarding hits. J Toews racked up a whopping total of 24 hits in 2013- the year Chicago won the cup. Other attributes trump hitting - this isn’t 1987. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

I think the Canucks need a prospect too.  At minimum it would be a 1st, prospect and a player.  If you include the cap dump then you need more.

We need to get Lysell back if we are trading to Boston. Pettersson - Lysell has major potential.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

1m of dead cap is worth it if you have the space to acquire a good player for cheap b/c of another teams cap issues 

the cap will go up and when it does the 1m for an extra year or two will be negligible vs the benefit of securing a cheap asset 

id argue weaponizinf that cap space and taking on some bad contract for another 1st rounder is actually probably a good bet too

when the cap goes up bigly it won’t be possible to weaponize cap space like that 

We saw the havoc caused to the team because Gillis was stupid enough to retain on the Lu deal.  There is simply no excuse for creating dead cap; wait a season to acquire the player instead of sabotaging the future of the team.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Love Bo, but he is not a solid two way player.  He’s actually not that good at all defensively.  He’s good on faceoffs.  And he can score.  But for a 60 point centre he was offered a very fair contract.  It is sad, but BoHO looks to be GOHO. 

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

If we had a team that was close to contending but couldn't get over the hump, I'd absolutely agree with you.  OEL's salary isn't great for us either way but the timing of it given the circumstances is where I drop it down the list.  

Even signing Bo for the rest of his career is actually not in our favour.  I love what Bo is doing and I feel for him the way he's been treated, but we're now in this zone where his career isn't timing well with where the club is heading (nowhere).

Good point but frustratingly, this current Canuck, is just a capped strapped pretender, or at best a playoff fodder. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski