The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

24 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm not understanding why folks are saying trade Garland for pennies on the dollar. He got 53 points last year. Has a decent cap hit for a few years. I'm sure we can get a pick and prospect for him, if the decision is to move him.

Garland is crimnially underrated for the tone he sets for the team.  When you see someone hustle like that on every shift, you question your own effort and give more.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I am sorry Kesler was a significantly better defensive player the Bo ever will be.  Kesler was an animal.  Kesler single handedly won the predators series.  He was a favorite with Loungo for the Smythe in 2011.  His underperformance at times prior can be attributed precisely to his over emphasis on the defensive side of the game.  Kesler was extremely fast and constantly in your face.  An absolute nightmare to play against.  Horvat is a solid positional player who is great on faceoffs.  He is more like NIck Bonino+++

Those are great points.  Yes if the Canucks win the cup Kesler may actually have won the Conn Smythe trophy.  It was between him and Luongo and I would have given it to Kesler because Luongo had a couple of really bad games in the finals.  Kesler was indeed an animal, all over the ice and just a nightmare to play against.  BO doesn't have that in his game at all.  He gets beaten to the puck often in his own zone.  He also doesn't have the pure speed that Kesler had to get to the loose pucks.

BO is alot closer to Nick Bonino than he is to Ryan Kesler...

• Vintage 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Those are great points.  Yes if the Canucks win the cup Kesler may actually have won the Conn Smythe trophy.  It was between him and Luongo and I would have given it to Kesler because Luongo had a couple of really bad games in the finals.  Kesler was indeed an animal, all over the ice and just a nightmare to play against.  BO doesn't have that in his game at all.  He gets beaten to the puck often in his own zone.  He also doesn't have the pure speed that Kesler had to get to the loose pucks.

Bo is like a bigger, faster, better at faceoffs bonino so Bonino +++.  

Ryan Kesler was a legend.  He just didn't have the humble personality that everyone is in love with.  He had swagger just like a trash talking Deion Sanders.  You want your defensive players to be mean spirited, aggressive, in your face and very very fast.

• Upvote 1

Just now, CaptainLinden16 said:

Bo is like a bigger, faster, better at faceoffs bonino so Bonino +++.  

Ryan Kesler was a legend.  He just didn't have the humble personality that everyone is in love with.  He had swagger just like a trash talking Deion Sanders.  You want your defensive players to be mean spirited, aggressive, in your face and very very fast.

Yes BO is better than Bonino of course, but closer to him than he is to Kesler.  And you make a great point.  Kesler was hated around the league and eventually he was hated by the Canucks fans for wanting to leave and the circumstance for leaving.  Meanwhile BO is loved by everyone.  So that is why you see people pushing back on Kesler and hyping up BO.  Kesler played the game the way you want a 2C defensive guru to play.  In your face and trash talking to get the other team off its game.  And it worked.  He is a Canuck legend and should be in the ROH...

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m hoping Bo morphs into a Bergeron clone.  60pts.  30g. Great at faceoffs. 

35 minutes ago, BPA said:

I’m hoping Bo morphs into a Bergeron clone.  60pts.  30g. Great at faceoffs. 

I think people just miscast Bo because he is big and good at faceoffs.  They think ok he is a defensive player.  He is actually a fairly decent one on one hockey player off the rush, and he obviously can one-time a puck in the slot.  Its also hard(er) to be a great defensive player with a short stick.  Short stick and not very physical.  To be honest it is really hard to see why he is seen as a great defensive player.  He is a solid two way player.  An absolutely perfect 2nd line center and an ok 1st line center.  

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kesler was already in the top 3 in Selke voting for 2 years in a row and was runner up to the award before Malhotra even joined the Canucks, so not sure what you are even talking about in terms of Malhotra was helping Kesler to be a great defensive player.  Kesler was already one of the best defensive players in the league before Malhotra even played one game for the Canucks. 

As for the Sedins, Kesler was already getting Selke votes before they even became point a game players, never mind the best players in the game.  

You are really trying to undermine how good Kelser was and trying really hard to hype up BO as some kind of defensive guru.  Kesler won the Selke and finished in the top 3 five times.  BO finished 34th in Selke voting last year and it was the only time in his entire career that he even got a vote.  Miller actually finished ahead of him last year at 23rd overall last year and also finished 19th overall in 2020. 

Also, Miller's faceoff percentage over the last 3 years combined is almost identical to BO's, Miller is at 55.4% over a 3 year period and BO is at 55.7%.  Not much of a difference to me and Miller is our 1C.

I think a lot of people don’t really want to see the actual truth. Neither Miller or Horvat are particularly good defensive players. Their ability to win faceoffs is essentially a huge part of the defensive effectiveness they do have.

Horvat, likely due to the fact he has been the only real matchup option during most of his tenure in Van, is significantly overrated defensively by a lot in the fan base. He is not Kesler-lite or even close. Neither is Miller on the defensive side. 

It’s very possible that very soon the best defensive center on this roster is EP. If he can improve his faceoffs of course. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think a lot of people don’t really want to see the actual truth. Neither Miller or Horvat are particularly good defensive players. Their ability to win faceoffs is essentially a huge part of the defensive effectiveness they do have.

Horvat, likely due to the fact he has been the only real matchup option during most of his tenure in Van, is significantly overrated defensively by a lot in the fan base. He is not Kesler-lite or even close. Neither is Miller on the defensive side. 

It’s very possible that very soon the best defensive center on this roster is EP. If he can improve his faceoffs of course. 

I agree. Petey is much more aggressive in the defensive zone than either Miller or Horvat. His 200’ game is vastly underrated.  He will be getting Selke votes probably as early as next year. 

In my opinion Petey is the best defensive centre we have and one of the best defensive players on the team. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Comparing BO to a future hall of famer and one of the greatest defensive players in NHL history is even worse than trying to compare him to Kesler. 

Didn’t say he is.  Just that I hope he can elevate his game to that level.

4 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Bo getting 30 plus goals,if he can do that for another 4 years why change his game . He is also a playoff player which is a must to have.

Horvat is is underrated somewhat offensively and had been miscast for years as a shutdown guy (he is significantly overrated defensively).

If he can improve his offensive consistency  and continue to be a big moment clutch guy, it’s almost an embarrassment of riches to have Miller, Horvat, EP at center.

Having said that, the style that works with the type of roster we have is puck possession, pure and simple. This team needs to be much better at zone exits and much better at entering the offensive zone with speed and puck control to be successful consistently. We don’t have the typical shutdown center type at this point. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rekker said:

Management probably using RNH's contract as a comparison. Bo is better, so deserves more. I think Bo''s number starts with a 7 per season. 

I think that is a fair comparbale. RNH is probably a bit better from an offensive standpoint. He definitely took a very team friendly deal for the Coil.

I can see Bo getting an offer from us, something around 6.6-7.25 per on an 8 year term. Personally, I hope it comes in around 6.75 per.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I agree, I always thought the "Core" consisted of your Top Center, Top D and your Goalie. I see Miller as #2 as he is signed long term and Petey obviously our long term #1. That leaves Bo. It definitely is "up in the air" until he actually signs.

It’s really ,  quite a good problem to have :)

Rare to get Center strength like that straight through 3 lines, and all flexible on Specialty Teams.

You really could line them up in opposite order of # 1-3 lines and create hell with the opposition.

No wonder BBoudreau is stoked to have them all.

I have said Bo is an option to use IF we trade,.  
But I tend to think it’s our winger depth that we will move to bring in any other strength at D if we need it.

I think Kuzmenko will push someone out eventually , and Mihky’s arrival is perhaps already pressuring another winger out.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Horvat is is underrated somewhat offensively and had been miscast for years as a shutdown guy (he is significantly overrated defensively).

If he can improve his offensive consistency  and continue to be a big moment clutch guy, it’s almost an embarrassment of riches to have Miller, Horvat, EP at center.

Having said that, the style that works with the type of roster we have is puck possession, pure and simple. This team needs to be much better at zone exits and much better at entering the offensive zone with speed and puck control to be successful consistently. We don’t have the typical shutdown center type at this point. 

I do hope the new D coaching staff gets these boys whipping the puck up boards and long seams quicker.

The past has been methodical, premeditated, and telegraphed.

Having said that ,.  Forwards have to be aware and on their toes.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1