The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

You look at character on and off ice and you can get a sense of what the person is like and wether or not they give a crap about getting paid or going for a cup. Does Bo strike you as the kinda guy who could care less about a cup and is fine getting shipped to some middle of the pack or lower team and be satisfied getting paid. Or do you see the kinda guy who went from a slow and weak skater in his rookie year, to a very strong and powerful skater in just one off season who is giving it all he has to reach his goals? I see the hungry player who isnt satisfied with everything he has done and is hungry to push harder and win a cup

I hope so. Playoff Bo looked great. Some regular season Bo games looked like he had Louie E on his line for too long, became a bit complacent, and got used to / okay with losing. For a guy who doesn’t hit much, or fight, but is good at faceoffs, a 200 foot game and some scoring ability, I’m good with $6.5M over x years. Maybe I’m dreaming.

• Vintage 1

I really hope we don’t make the mistake of moving on from captain Bo. Had 10 goals in 17 games last time we were in the post season. He is built for the playoffs. 

If we can find a deal at about $6.5-$7M x 8 I’d be happy, but I also think that we need to move one of our forwards for a top 4 D/RHD. I just hope that player isn’t Bo, he is part of the culture building in Vancouver.

8 minutes ago, Honourable Hughes said:

I really hope we don’t make the mistake of moving on from captain Bo. Had 10 goals in 17 games last time we were in the post season. He is built for the playoffs. 

If we can find a deal at about $6.5-$7M x 8 I’d be happy, but I also think that we need to move one of our forwards for a top 4 D/RHD. I just hope that player isn’t Bo, he is part of the culture building in Vancouver.

We certainly have a derth of depth at F. I think the 2 most likely trade candidates that will make the team out of camp are Garland and Pearson. I'd prefer to move Pearson as Garland is younger and draws lots of penalties and is very good producing at 5 on 5. 

If Brock has a big year and we are somehow out of the playoff picture, I could see the team dangling him, even more so if Kuzmenko shows that he can be a top scoring threat in the NHL.

SO many options for this MGMT group to consider. Going to be a great season ahead!

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

You fail to mention that Linden was PA president.  A true leader during one of the toughest times to lead.  All the players have respect for him (except the douchebag that will not be names "cough Messier cough").  So ya not just a Canuck icon.  Maybe not respected in terms of captain by other teams fans.

cripplereh mentioned his NHLPA work yesterday, and I was already aware of it. You aren't adding anything new to this conversation. 

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Absolutely. Seven is a good number. Seems like both sides are probably currently working out a deal that works but maybe a little stuck on details / Term / No movement,

etc. Listening to JR on the radio I got the impression he didn't want to say too much as it's fluent at the moment.

Wouldn't be surprised if what was holding things up were details related to either NMC's and NTC's tbh. Both sides already likely have an idea of the range the dollar amount will be in. Bo didn't have trade protection on his last deal, I reckon he'll want it this time. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

cripplereh mentioned his NHLPA work yesterday, and I was already aware of it. You aren't adding anything new to this conversation. 

I must've missed it, I didn't see any of his posts stating anything about the players association. 

But my main point is that your view that Linden is just a Canuck icon is false.  He was the players' "leader" for many years.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

I must've missed it, I didn't see any of his posts stating anything about the players association. 

But my main point is that your view that Linden is just a Canuck icon is false.  He was the players' "leader" for many years.

You did miss it, you also missed my saying Linden isn't an icon for leading the NHLPA despite being respected around the league in a follow up post. 

Leading the NHLPA doesn't make you an icon. Leaders aren't all icons. Not once have I argued that Linden wasn't a leader, he was a tremendous Canuck and I've nothing but respect for his Canuck-related body of work, but he's only an icon to Canucks fans. He's in the rafters, he's Captain Canuck, he's one of the most popular Canucks ever and he's had tremendous impact on Vancouver and BC but I don't need to make his impact at the NHL level out to be more than it was. 

We can keep going round in circles if you'd like but we're probably better off agreeing to disagree. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

You did miss it, you also missed my saying Linden isn't an icon for leading the NHLPA despite being respected around the league in a follow up post. 

Leading the NHLPA doesn't make you an icon. Leaders aren't all icons. Not once have I argued that Linden wasn't a leader, he was a tremendous Canuck and I've nothing but respect for his Canuck-related body of work, but he's only an icon to Canucks fans. He's in the rafters, he's Captain Canuck, he's one of the most popular Canucks ever and he's had tremendous impact on Vancouver and BC but I don't need to make his impact at the NHL level out to be more than it was. 

We can keep going round in circles if you'd like but we're probably better off agreeing to disagree. 

I will agree that Iginla is a better player than Linden.  But not a better leader.  He was such a team player that he handed over his captaincy to somebody else because he thought it was better for the team.  That is a selfless act from a true leader.

27 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

We certainly have a derth of depth at F. I think the 2 most likely trade candidates that will make the team out of camp are Garland and Pearson. I'd prefer to move Pearson as Garland is younger and draws lots of penalties and is very good producing at 5 on 5. 

If Brock has a big year and we are somehow out of the playoff picture, I could see the team dangling him, even more so if Kuzmenko shows that he can be a top scoring threat in the NHL.

SO many options for this MGMT group to consider. Going to be a great season ahead!

Yeah I think Boeser improving his value this year along with new additions Kuzy and Ilya having good seasons would make it more palatable to trade a guy like Brock. He would yield a better return than Garland.

I’d rather keep Brock over Garland but I’d accept trading him for the right piece coming back. I think balancing out the weight of our

F vs D depth chart needs to be a focus next offseason or sooner.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

I will agree that Iginla is a better player than Linden.  But not a better leader.  He was such a team player that he handed over his captaincy to somebody else because he thought it was better for the team.  That is a selfless act from a true leader.

I mean, Linden and Iginla both won the exact same leadership awards. Both have a King Clancy and a now discontinued NHL Foundation Player Award. Iginla also won a Messier leadership award which ain't nothing despite the name being in poor taste. Iginla was well known for his community work too. They both lead their teams to game 7 of the Stanley Cup final, they both almost had a cup. They both won several team awards too and positively impacted their communities, difference is Linden had the luxury of playing in a province with one NHL team as opposed to two. No Alberta player is going to have the provincial recognition Linden does in BC because Alberta is a province with a hockey divide that doesn't exist in BC. 

Iginla also had extensive international success and likely contributed to the leadership of those teams. Two Olympic gold, a world championship, a world cup, world junior gold like Linden. I don't agree that giving up the captaincy somehow makes Linden a better leader and neither their hardware or their individual reputations bear that out. 

My pointing all this out in no way takes away from Linden's accomplishments but Iginla coming up in both leadership and captaincy conversations isn't unfounded either. Like Linden he was also a tremendous captain who worked hard, played an honest and tough game, contributed to his community, and who is heralded as probably his team's most popular player ever. He was just a superior hockey player on top of all that. 

Edited by Coconuts

On 9/15/2022 at 4:33 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's 25 yrs apart, but I've long felt there are parallels between Bo & Trevor Linden. Solid guys..but a little bit white bread for excitement. Thrust into early 'C'aptaincies for bottomed-out, rebuilding squads.

Around TL, Pat Quinn built a brawny, vet-laden crew, who stumbled into a superstar. JB didn't emulate that with vet FA's, but he did draft us some fine top talent, in several key positions. His larceny of Miller is almost on par with Quinn's 2, early 90's heists on Ron Caron & the Blues. OEL/Garland is a subjective venture, that still has potential to pay off handsomely, or leave an albatross behind.

We have a cap ceiling now to think of, Quinn likely was dealing with a fanbase, patience-ceiling they hit, after 2 decades of franchise-mediocrity. Three decades back(about 1992) there was a comparable sense of urgency for significant progress, to what we're feeling about now.

Creative destruction? We would've gotten 15-18 brilliant seasons from TL, an excellent draft pick. Yet that late 90's deal, led to about 3 decades of numerous, big-time, contributing assets. If Bo has the same cachet today around the league, as TL had in the late 90's, it's understandable to weigh options. If there's a Milbury-esque fool willing to squander young, key assets, history should be considered.

edit: Additionally, TL was Quinn's gem/baby, he'd likely never deal away. After Keenan parachuted in, there was no nostalgic sentiment.

Similarly, JB leaned on Bo from their beginning. Now we have another fresh, new GM...

Linden trade was a fantastic trade for Vancouver....Burtuzzi - McCabe - 3rd pick -- McCabe was key in getting the twins and we seen how that turned out--Bertuzzi was a fantastic power forward for years.. Great trade..

Linden's was on down slide right time to make that trade..

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't be surprised if what was holding things up were details related to either NMC's and NTC's tbh. Both sides already likely have an idea of the range the dollar amount will be in. Bo didn't have trade protection on his last deal, I reckon he'll want it this time. 

If I had to guess term is the sticking point. If you're gonna lock up your captain I imagine it's easy to sign off on a NMC for most of it. And if you're Horvat and you're bad in the last few years of the deal not many will pick up a 7mil price tag for you. So a NTC is perfectly fine for him in that case. But I dunno, maybe I am just trying to be devil's advocate to argue with you. Lol.

4 hours ago, Canucklehead73 said:

All I will add is.... there's no way Bo doesn't deserve more than  Boeser... not possible.

I’m not certain Brock’s contract will have all that much impact on Bo’s. I feel like It would be pretty easy for management to write that off as something they inherited from the previous regime. 

8 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I mean… it depends on what the number behind the ‘.’ was. 5.5-5.8 is low but not a slap in the face imho. 

Bo is currently making $5.5

so offering him the same money, after a 30 goal year would in my eye's be a  poor move that would cause me to leave.

• Upvote 1

Wondering if the Canuck management is maybe going to bide their time with Horvat and see how good Kuzmenko can be this year before  coming back around to look at signing one or the other. Kuz will need a new contract next year as will Horvat. Hmm..

Not saying they let Horvat walk but maybe they need to time to see what the math is going to look like - is Kuz a 3M guy to re-sign or a 5 to 7 M guy to re-sign.

Edited by fanfor42
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

If I had to guess term is the sticking point. If you're gonna lock up your captain I imagine it's easy to sign off on a NMC for most of it. And if you're Horvat and you're bad in the last few years of the deal not many will pick up a 7mil price tag for you. So a NTC is perfectly fine for him in that case. But I dunno, maybe I am just trying to be devil's advocate to argue with you. Lol.

Could be, we're all speculating really :P

I just reckon he'll want trade protection of some sort though even if term is an issue

It'll probably be a requirement for anything resembling team friendly imo

2 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Well not to argue as said my peace and agree both were great people.But Linden accepted a trade to make the team better and was all for it.Other captains here 2 I can think of never wanted a trade to make us better.Thats a true leader .

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

Well not to argue as said my peace and agree both were great people.But Linden accepted a trade to make the team better and was all for it.Other captains here 2 I can think of never wanted a trade to make us better.Thats a true leader Linden and why in my books will always be the best captain the Canucks have had.

Oops was supposed to be an edit,lol

Edited by cripplereh