The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Senators | 4:30 Pacific on SN "Hey, they actually won last game" Edition

Rate this topic

MattJVD

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He never said no players want to come here. There is a good track record for Swedish players here and surely the Sedins (and others) put in a good word for him to play here (leaving the dumpster fire that is Arizona). With that said, surely Epp has heard more often than not that players don't actually want to come here and perhaps some that do have probably voiced their displeasure. This is now the second time (that I recall) this issue has been brought up publicly.

48 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

People hate on Drance, but I don’t think TD has ever fabricated a story. Not even the much maligned JD Burke has ever sunk to that level.

technically not "fabrication," but reporting about miller yelling "we don't know what we're doing!" with the sole implication being dissaray within the team and the goal being to rile up the fanbase, without first asking jt what was going on in that moment, and THEN going on twitter and shilling for the athletic by trying to sell the truth of what REALLY happened is absolutely just as bad as sekeres. 

thomas drance has about as much integrity and credibility as he does hair. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

technically not "fabrication," but reporting about miller yelling "we don't know what we're doing!" with the sole implication being dissaray within the team and the goal being to rile up the fanbase, without first asking jt what was going on in that moment, and THEN going on twitter and shilling for the athletic by trying to sell the truth of what REALLY happened is absolutely just as bad as sekeres. 

Ex players, like Hansen, who have been in the room on both winning and struggling teams carry weight when they speak.  Plus, Hansen clearly still feels a strong connection to Vancouver.  We need to hear more of Hansen, and less if the Ontario Leaf Blowers like Suckhairass and Drance.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ex players, like Hansen, who have been in the room on both winning and struggling teams carry weight when they speak.  Plus, Hansen clearly still feels a strong connection to Vancouver.  We need to hear more of Hansen, and less if the Ontario Leaf Blowers like Suckhairass and Drance.  

I just want trained journalists. people who went to school. had to learn how to do things the right way. had to spend years churning out bland ass copy before they earned the right to demonstrate a little bit of their personality and opinions and write editorials and feature pieces. 

is that so much to ask?

Edited by tas
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

I just want trained journalists. people who went to school. had to learn how to do things the right way. had to spend years churning out bland ass copy before they earned the right to demonstrate a little bit of their personality and opinions and write editorials and feature pieces. 

is that so much to ask?

how's it going over there in 1972

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, tas said:

is that so much to ask?

Yes.

4 minutes ago, tas said:

Disagree about any of that JT Miller stuff being as bad as Sekeres actually making up stories.

Drance definitely has a slant, but he’s at least working with factual material. And he’s pretty clear about when he’s reporting and when he’s editorializing.

He definitely plays the “heel” role in Canucks media, and at times, he seems to relish it a little too much.

I can well understand why he rubs some people the wrong way.

I can only really stomach his content in small doses.

But I also think he’s necessary. At least if we hope to have honest and balanced overall reporting.

Drance asks the questions that many others (especially those working for outlets that rely on the the team’s goodwill) won’t ask.

And Drance still has a conscience. He said recently that he feels bad about pushing some of the recent negative stories, re: Green’s job security, players’ faith in the organization, etc, but he knows that if he doesn’t ask those questions, most of his media peers (especially the credentialed guys travelling with the team) won’t.

I think this market deserves to be informed by its media, good and bad, positive and negative stories. And Drance definitely plays a role in that. Without guys like him, most media pressers would be a fluffjob for this team, and Canucks coverage would start to verge on “state media.”

He gets on my nerves, but I really think it’s a mistake to put Drance in the same category as Sekeres.

To borrow a quote from Moneyball: “There’s good media and there’s bad media. Then there’s 50 feet of crap, then there’s Sekeres.” 

• Cheers 2

A topic while everyone is waiting for the game;

Duane Allman           Jim  Morrison               Malcolm Young             

Eric Clapton            Paul McCartney              Chuck Berry

Jimmie Page           Freddie Mercury            John  Lennon

Jimmie Hendrix         Janis  Joplin                  Chet  Atkins

Billy Gibbons             David Bowie

Ray Charles                        Phil Lynott                     

Elton John                      John Entwistle

Jerry Lee Lewis                 Tina Weymouth

Ray Manzarek                     Willie Dixon   

Neil Peart

Mick Fleetwood

Tommy Ramone

Billy Cobham

Keith Moon