The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 04, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, davidgoliath said:

Aqua family has no management ability. Shoulda stuck with the slum landlord business, this hockey thing is way beyond them.

The only hope this franchise has is if they finally come to their senses and hire a legit President and then take a step back.

Just because they’re fans doesn’t mean they have any idea how to run a team. They need to put their egos a side and put the team in the hands of proven winners. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Perhaps, but according to coach green, maybe there's more to this story than meets the eye.  "For all we know that guy could have been going thru a divorce in the stands with his wife and was simply trying to keep his wife from getting the car, kids AND THE JERSEY!"  Coach green thinks this has nothing to do with the him or the team!

Travis Green is not qualified to comment  on anything hockey related, as demonstrated clearly by his gross incompetence over his tenure here.  He should stick to his level of expertise, such as what flavour of antifreeze tastes best.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

8 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Last time there was a “Fire GM” chant at Rogers.

Gillis was fired the next game, just saying.

Gillis was also not a yes man unlike Benning. 

Gillis also stood up to Francesco about a rebuild. 

Benning doesn’t seem to stand up to Aquilini. Hence, he still has a job, 8 years after he was hired. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

My observations...sigh

Been sitting on the fence for a bit + patient - think after tonight's performance in a "desperate" situation - assume there will be changes shortly. PK at 65% is an insult.

Read somewhere the worst rate after 25 games in NHL history.

If the players gave it their fullest and still come up with this result, it's the system that sucks - not the players. Watching their pk is sad - static box - allowing opposition countless unchallenged opportunities - Demko shot after shot like shooting practice,  Why can't they look at other teams successful PK and use similar systems or are they trying to think out of the box again and do things differently.

I think for the next practice session, they should let our top PP take on the current PK (just try it) during scrimmage - I would guess the PP would take over which shows just how bad our PK is.  The PK is the single biggest factor for the failure this season - possibly resulting over 1/2+ of the losses (eg. Boston, Edm, Nash, Colo, + many more) this season.

For there day off let them play against there affiliate ahl club and see who's on top.. sell seats to the fans. See who they cheer for Abby canucks or vancouver canucks

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The only hope this franchise has is if they finally come to their senses and hire a legit President and then take a step back.

Just because they’re fans doesn’t mean they have any idea how to run a team. They need to put their egos a side and put the team in the hands of proven winners. 

Which they will not do. Sooooooo

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Chatfield playing on the Hurricanes right now. Was +2 tonight. Put that in perspective. I see it all the time. All this fire Benning but why can’t we see this team with a new coach. Seems pretty obvious to me. And yes i get the point of wanting a new GM to hand pick the coach. But c’mon let’s see what a new coach can do minimum! 

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD A NEW COACH BE HIRED BY BENNING.  He has Failed twice now, hiring inexperienced - rookie AHL bush league coaches.   He has proven himself incapable of managing a team not only with these poor coaching selections, but the mishandling of players & contracts with a list too long to post here.  

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Gillis was also not a yes man unlike Benning. 

Gillis also stood up to Francesco about a rebuild. 

Benning doesn’t seem to stand up to Aquilini. Hence, he still has a job, 8 years after he was hired. 

Unfortunately that's what happens in the world in general with many things, with people just la-di-da'ing thru life, kissing peoples a$$ and afraid to make waves as it might expose them.   I think we've all run across one or two people like that in our jobs and life in general.  That's mainly why governemt jobs exist!

24 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Should never have elevated him beyond scouting.

Benning doesn’t seem to have a noggin’ for the big picture. His  tenure of salary-cap management has been abysmal &  he gutted the team after its’ first successful run together, until it became only a shadow of its’ former self, with none of the synergy or cohesiveness.

We are already starting over. Let  someone else rebuild, someone who knows that communication & on-going player maintenance is key! Help these players adjust to their on-ice roles & roles within the community to establish some roots & more mutual respect & connection. Do some real character-vetting before drafting & trading. Value intelligence & coachability just a little bit more.

Winning pedigrees & those connections were previously found, but weren’t kept together long enough. 

Toffoli not being contacted, bugs me still. 

Benning is just a great scout, thats it, everything else that entails being a GM, hes terrible. Remember his first year here, when that whole Frank Corrado debacle happened, the words "asset management" was born in Canuck land. We thought it was a rookie GM finding his way, didn't think it would be a running theme almost every damn season

Like you mentioned, Toffoli so called wanting to be resigned by the team and got zero communication from management, along with former players and even prospects throwing shade at the organization once they are out the door is very telling. This management team is an absolute joke in comparison to the well oiled machine during the Gillis era. Don't think i ever recalled a fire Gillis chant in Rogers arena

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Was at the game. Lots of dump and chase, too bad this team can’t win a puck battle. Some bad penalties by Miller, Myers and whoever got that delay of game. Motte one was bs.

Was expecting the Fire Benning chants but not the boos and jersey toss. Have to make a change soon, otherwise it’s going to get worse imo.

17 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD A NEW COACH BE HIRED BY BENNING.  He has Failed twice now, hiring inexperienced - rookie AHL bush league coaches.   He has proven himself incapable of managing a team not only with these poor coaching selections, but the mishandling of players & contracts with a list too long to post here.  

If we're stuck with Benning for a bit longer, promoting Shaw as the interim coach and at least removing the cancer of Green, Baumer, and Brown would at least minimize the permanent damage they're able to do.  I don't want Benning to stay either, but Green's continued employment is simply not acceptable; every day he's allowed to destroy the confidence of our players is more work for an actual coach to undo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

If we're stuck with Benning for a bit longer, promoting Shaw as the interim coach and at least removing the cancer of Green, Baumer, and Brown would at least minimize the permanent damage they're able to do.  I don't want Benning to stay either, but Green's continued employment is simply not acceptable; every day he's allowed to destroy the confidence of our players is more work for an actual coach to undo.

Unfortunately benning must go too - NOW - because keeping him in place for the short term runs the risk that he makes more mistakes with signings, contracts or trades or god forbid - he trades away more draft picks.   He is at the root of ALL the problems on this team and MUST BE TERMINATED.  There are no ifs, ands or buts about it and even the most faithful Benning kool-aid drinkers know HE'S DONE HERE!  We can't afford to let benning ruin this franchise any further ! He's allready caused enough Damage that will take years to fix.

That was an embarrassing game. Shots aside, I thought we played okay until those 5 on 3s.
Throwing a jersey on the ice is a pathetic display. But What Dumoulin did was all class.
I'm grateful for all Benning has done for us, but maybe it's time for a change.

Edited by Nave
  • Like 2