The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Anyone, hear of the rumour that JB, wanted Julien ?

They apparently got clearance to talk to him a while back but Benning wasn't allowed to make a coaching change.  Dreger believes he would have if he had the authority.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, mll said:

So we get a legit NHL coach with almost 1000 NHL games coached for less $ than what JB gave Green...should make the Owner quite happy about that, not so much to pay Green to go soak in the sunshine in Anaheim with his family

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

Montreal always hires a coach that can speak french aswell. Green don't think so AV perhaps.

Montreal committed to Ducharme for the rest of the year, have to wonder now that AV is available if they change their mind? Or, wait till off season then approach AV...he might want a break and gives him ample time to watch and dissect what Montreal has for talent.

100% makes sense for Montreal to bring in AV, is a solid coach with a good track record and load of experience THAT can speak French too!

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Montreal committed to Ducharme for the rest of the year, have to wonder now that AV is available if they change their mind? Or, wait till off season then approach AV...he might want a break and gives him ample time to watch and dissect what Montreal has for talent.

100% makes sense for Montreal to bring in AV, is a solid coach with a good track record and load of experience THAT can speak French too!

I could see Montreal hiring AV. Someone will hire him eventually.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Boudreau coached the PP in Minnesota.  He liked having 2 units and even claimed that staying more than 1 minute on the ice is selfish.  In Minnesota he had the Staal and Koivu units and would equally start either.   

He actually talks in this podcast in detail about his powerplay philosophy and how he likes to set up based on the type of personnel available.  He also reminisces about his PP in Washington.  It's quite a detailed and technical discussion.

At the very start at the podcast:

thanks @mll this was a really interesting listen. Can't wait to see how he shifts deployment here to make this style of PP happen with this group. I expect he'll be pretty happy to have OEL and Hughes getting the puck to the net.

26 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I love it! This team is so desperate for passion. Other than JT, this season has been nothing but a deployment of flopping dead fish

Pfft... whatever...  more like a deployment of dead fish... they don't even flop anymore.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Road to the Playoffs starts in just under 12 hours! How exciting!

okay maybe I'm delusional, but I'm happy with these changes, and I actually believe this is possible :P

Playoffs mathematically is still very much possible.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This team is so far off being built to win in the playoffs that just getting there is a good first step. He has a contract for this year and next so it’s worth it to give him the benefit of the doubt based on what he has done previously. An emotional coach who doesn’t accept being ok with losing for an emotionless group that seems just fine with it is a good move right now. 

I don't think the guys were fine with it at all, or emotionless. I think you're confusing being beaten down under a lousy coach with not caring. The effort was there most nights, but no team is going to withstand what these guys have been dealing with.

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't think the guys were fine with it at all, or emotionless. I think you're confusing being beaten down under a lousy coach with not caring. The effort was there most nights, but no team is going to withstand what these guys have been dealing with.

The only player who seemed to care is Miller. Maybe they were beaten down by a bad coach but not once did I see any except Miller really show they cared at all. Horvat was the worst tbh. 

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The only player who seemed to care is Miller. Maybe they were beaten down by a bad coach but not once did I see any except Miller really show they cared at all. Horvat was the worst tbh. 

I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. I don't understand the ragging on Bo at all.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Road to the Playoffs starts in just under 12 hours! How exciting!

okay maybe I'm delusional, but I'm happy with these changes, and I actually believe this is possible :P

I can't help but think that this move, although probably necessary, is going to have us go on a run for the playoffs, miss, then end up with the 14th OA pick in a draft with some elite talent at the top (according to 'experts'). That said, if we want to keep Bo and Miller (I think he leaves) this is a step in the right direction

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Listen to any Horvat interview from the past 2 years. Then listen to any Green interview or Benning interview. Just no actual “I give a &^@#” to be found.

yeah, not sold on that. Not everyone is an emotional firecracker in front of the camera, particularly in this market where its used against guys.

• Cheers 2