The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I doubt this.  Boods signed for only this year and next with us.  If the Canucks knew AV was going to get tossed, and the Flyers were going for Boods, then Boods' agent would know that too, and would have waited to get more term and dollars.  This is Boods wanting to be here.  Donnie and Dhally need to pick up their games.  Too much making stuff up. 

He's 66. He signed with us because he likes coaching offensive hockey and our roster has many offensive players.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Actually, I'm not.  And this is something in the past decade or two but I remember when we lost in '94 and we had a celebration at BC Place.  People celebrated the team and there were moments during that event that I actually forgot that we lost!   It was so awesome.

The city is changing and it's $$ and entitlement...people who demand that money buy them success and when that falls short, they get up in arms about it.  

I liked our old work hard/lunchbox days when we appreciated the game itself and didn't always moan and complain.  It gets so tiring.  (As she moans and complains about the moaners...ok, over it now, gonna practice what I preach).

Honest question and i expect a honest answer: Have you really enjoyed the game itself this season? I mean aside from the fact that the results haven't been there is it possible to enjoy the Canucks game this season?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

What about Chychrun?  He would be ideal in that bottom pair role.  

Imo, Chychrun might be the most untouchable players on that team. I don't have any idea how we could make a move for him. I desperately wanted him in that draft that year, as he was my 2nd favorite player behind Dubois (if I remember that draft class correctly) but I just see no way of it working.

3 minutes ago, tas said:

they've been rumoured to be in on rick tocchet. 

Yah, the only thing about Boudreau is his age.

How’s his mental sharpness & overall health been doing? The rigours of travelling with a team that logs the most air miles of practically any other in the NHL is no small thing. The Canadian markets also have non-stop media & fan requirements, a scrutiny which may not provide for many lazy or snoozy days off, I would presume. That’s more stress.

This specific gig may not be suitable for him at this particular stage of life, as we are all about to find out - together. 

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Honest question and i expect a honest answer: Have you really enjoyed the game itself this season? I mean aside from the fact that the results haven't been there is it possible to enjoy the Canucks game this season?

Yes.  I've gone to a few (6?) games so far and I've enjoyed every one of them.

But, for me, it's the entire deal...the walk over the bridge and admiring Science World and the lights on False Creek.  Seeing familiar faces, like Vern, the usher who's worked with the organization since day one.  Meeting up with friends who I only see at games.  Seeing my "adopted" daughters, who sell 50-50 tickets.  Attending with my son.

Life is what you make it and, for me, Canucks games are my happy place...even when the outcome isn't so much.

If you ONLY focus on "we have to win or it's a bust" then that's going to lead to a lot of disappointment.  I've been lucky to see close games where we were in them.  It hasn't been "awful" for me despite the awful results and standings.  I feel "at home" when I'm at the rink.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

39 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Hunt?

/just messing with you

Played 77 of 90 possible games for Boudreau - from the time he was traded to Minnesota and Boudreau was dismissed.    Pateryn was injured for a stretch and his main competition for that 6th spot was Nick Seeler.  

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I doubt this.  Boods signed for only this year and next with us.  If the Canucks knew AV was going to get tossed, and the Flyers were going for Boods, then Boods' agent would know that too, and would have waited to get more term and dollars.  This is Boods wanting to be here.  Donnie and Dhally need to pick up their games.  Too much making stuff up. 

They are the media they get paid to speculate. I doubt any team sends a memo to all teams saying hey, we are thinking of firing our coach...

10 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I would say yes, cause you  love to watch the game of hockey...through the good and the bad unfortunately!

20 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

This is going to give us a true assessment...no more blaming systems/coaches/etc. 

I don't expect an instant turn around....guys like Petey who are slumping will take time to get over the mental hurdles that come with that.  But we'll see if this staff can intervene with more success and help provide some direction.

Thing is, some of this was just a matter of exercising patience so not everything that starts to click will be directly attributed to new personnel.  

But it was time to give this roster that chance...TO prove themselves with some fresh ideas and new direction.  If they still flounder, then we'll know it's their deal and they need to figure it out at a personal level.

I think that Petey may be going through a mental health thing, that has me worried for him, too. Every 7 years or so a gloomy mood would strike me. I worry for him - in more ways than one.

Be supportive people! 

• Huggy Bear 1