The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It was better than I had expected, both questions and answers.

Stan Smyl impressed me with what he said, but let’s how that translates on the ice.

Yeah. I felt Smyl answered more directly, and Aquilini danced around some of them. All the same, they fielded every question and most of them were pointed and tended to reflect what a lot of fans have been asking. 

Personally, I'm excited to see where this goes. 

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I never understood the meddling claims of some. Aquilini is a genuine, caring, and concerned owner. I’ve completed forgotten how soft spoken and innocent he is. Definitely not the villain people portray him as. That whole meddling $&!# needs to be put to bed.

You dismiss the meddling just because he knows how to speak properly in public?

Politicians do that all the time, say one thing do the other. LOL

Edited by Quinn Skates

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It was better than I had expected, both questions and answers.

Stan Smyl impressed me with what he said and how he said it, but let’s how that translates on the ice.

As well he jumped in and interrupted FA more than a few times, and made his point about not being a runover in this new process. Sounded like he wasn't going to be a token executive, and as well said the committee was all in on getting this back on track.

2 minutes ago, Quinn Skates said:

You dismiss the meddling just because he knows how to speak properly in public?

Politicians do that all the time, say one thing do the other. LOL

You think Steamer is a liar?  He echoed what the owner said about the owner’s involvement.  In fact Steamer interjected with his answer to that question.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Was never an anti JB guy as I understood the reasoning behind his moves even though I didn't agree with some of them.   I am/was worried about his replacement being worse.  I like the thought of Lombardi and poaching the AV's/Cane's AGM.  Do not want to go with an old re-tread.  Someone bold enough to be progressive like Gillis but have the scouting of JB (minus the lack of defencemen JB produced).

What i'd like to see moving forward.  A retool of the defence corps.  8 years of Jim and we only have Hughes to show for with an aging OEL for support.  Myers is more of a 4/5 while Hamonic is unreliable to play a full season.  Poolman looked great to start the season so hoping BB can elevate his game.  The defence would look excellent if we hung on to Tanev and Edler instead of Hamonic/Poolman.  Now we're searching for these exact players to round out the roster.

We also need a true shutdown RH 3C and a 4C that can kill penalties.  There was tons of moaning over Sutter/Beagle but this year has shown have valuable they were to the team.  Having these positions filled is what pushed the 2011 team to Cup contenders.   Malholtra + Lapierre meant Kesler no longer had to take match up minutes and they anchored both our PK units.  While Hansen, Higgins were able to kill penalties with them AND chip in offensively from time to time.

Lastly, no more trading picks.  We need to hoard assets, including cap space, and use them when the time is right.  I feel like where in the same spot we were in back in 2008 (or the Kings back in 2012) where we need a couple more pieces to really be competitive.   King's traded Schenn for Carter and re-united him with his pal Richards.  I think a similar move needs to be made for a RHD.  That plus a 3C and we could be scary good as soon as next season.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You think Steamer is a liar?  He echoed what the owner said about the owner’s involvement.  In fact Steamer interjected with his answer to that question.  

people need to stop the nitpicking. Stan's not a bs artist. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yes, I'm sure the girl that had her photos passed around would find Bergevin drafting the guy that spread those pics around quite hilarious and would not at all make her feel like her trauma and pain didn't matter. 

You're a sick person. You should be banned from here. 

• Wat 3