The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 06, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

one thing negative about Bruce Boudreau.

now i have to read twice to be sure who we refered to when i see "BB". it's not now always Brock Boeser. 

Bad news. Fire BB. Guy has only won one game all year long. Bad coach. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Great win, and it felt like they would win even before the game started. They looked faster, more aggressive. Just seeing Boudreau behind the bench gave the team a different look. I don't know, more confident?

One guy, though, didn't have a very good game. Hoglander.  He tried too many fancy things, risky plays and lost the puck often. He has skill and gritty tenacity, but made several mistakes. I wonder how Boudreau will handle Hogz after seeing him coaching his first game.

Hogs is a streaky player, which is often the way for young players.  He surprised us all the way he jumped into the top 6 last year and quickly made an impact.  He really needs to watch Garland closely.  Garland uses his smaller physical presence to make himself look nonthreatening; almost invisible and then suddenly, boom, he comes out of nowhere and scores. No need for fancy plays or cockiness; just find that sudden offensive opening and shoot.

I hope that Bru Bou will help Hogs define his role and stay focused throughout the entire game.  He's only 20yrs, so he's still in the developmental stage of his career.  Garland didn't find his game until he was 22/23yrs.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

I dunno man. Most ppl here seem to be pretty happy rn. 

We wanted Green gone because the team was underperforming heavily. 

If the team plays better, why would we be upset?

If the team continues to under perform, it'll probably mean new GM will come in and make some trades. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. 

Hopefully, people can now stay somewhat upbeat and realistic but we'll see what happens if we lose a couple. Does Boudreau become enemy number one then? Maybe but probably not because the hypocrisy would be too great, even here, then will it be Aqulini, or Smyl, or still Benning, for a year or three?

I will admit it's actually enjoyable in here when the Canucks forum is supporting the Canucks. Although there is still one guy stuck bitching about yesterday's news over and over again because he has no fodder left. ::D

Anyways it's a new era and a great start. Great game!

Go Canucks Go. :canucks::towel:

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

JB wasn't close to perfect.   He was doomed coming in with what was left.   And surprised he lasted that long - he did because of QHs, BB and EP.   When 2/3 of those guys aren't working, and the ball of goods he sold to the Aqua family and the fan base too isn't working ... he simply ran out of lives.    It was the right move in my mind anyways.   What will be fun to follow, is where Green ends up next.   And not to be a party pooper, what happens if and when the fanbase turns on Bruce too.   

Well Bruce is an actual NHL calibre coach. We saw it last night and how he was able to get this team to play like a team. Green couldn't do that. 

Besides it's not likely Bruce will be here long enough for that to happen. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Boudreau does a bag skate drill at the start of each camp to test players physical fitness.  It's timed and players even get their blood tested afterwards.  

He explains that he wants to be able to play at a pace that is comfortable for them but uncomfortable for their opponents and they have to have the conditioning for it.  

Players talk of how they are anxious about the test and the relief once it's over.  They have to do the drill 3 times with a 2 minute rest between each.  If they exceed the imposed times they go again for a 4th and even a 5th time.

Some players who have managed to complete the drill in 3 will volunteer for an additional rep to help out players who have to go again.  They don't want to let anyone struggling behind.  It's also part of team building.  

Yeah, but unlike Green who is known for his dreadful bag drill, Boudreau looks like he's gotten his players on track, despite Green failing to do so for all these games.

I get that it's only one game, but this one game is far better than whatever Green had come up with up to this point in the season.

23 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There is a difference between having ultimate decision making control/being involved and meddling though.

The meddling thing is not media driven or made up. It’s well known in the hockey community that Aquilini has directly been responsible for some pretty bad hockey ops decisions by involving himself too much against the input of his management group. 

Its his right as he owns the team. Whether or not it’s helpful is far more debatable though. 

Aquilini addressed it in his press conference that he doesn't involve himself in other jobs. We have to take it for what it is. Stan smyl stepped in right away to confirm that. Maybe it's just me, but Smyl is a very clever fox. Something about how he talked made me think he was brown-nosing.

25 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I loved how our entire team played yesterday but especially our defense.

I hope people here can understand how crucial it is to have heavy defensman.  Schenn, Hamonic, Myers and even Poolman were really noticeable in protecting the zone and even jumping up.   Reminded me a little of the Blues defense when they won the cup. 

Assuming a base level of skating/skill/work ethic/etc, IQ is always king.

Good coaches/systems can mask warts but they aren't magical.

D still needs to be revamped for us to be a legitimate team.

Edited by kanucks25

I'm excited to see how the Canucks approach the Bruins tomorrow. Shartstain will be back from his suspension. I'd like to think that under Boudreau, this team will maintain their aggressive play and that Marchand will be given the proper treatment that he deserves by the team. 

The days of turning the other cheek are hopefully over.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mll said:

Boudreau does a bag skate drill at the start of each camp to test players physical fitness.  It's timed and players even get their blood tested afterwards.  

He explains that he wants to be able to play at a pace that is comfortable for them but uncomfortable for their opponents and they have to have the conditioning for it.  

Players talk of how they are anxious about the test and the relief once it's over.  They have to do the drill 3 times with a 2 minute rest between each.  If they exceed the imposed times they go again for a 4th and even a 5th time.

Some players who have managed to complete the drill in 3 will volunteer for an additional rep to help out players who have to go again.  They don't want to let anyone struggling behind.  It's also part of team building.  

Bruce Almighty has a bag skate?? 
That’s hilarious. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Finally one of the common folk recognizes my brilliance. 

My questions for those who think bag skates are a team building exercise are these:

1. Have you ever had to do one yourself? How did you feel about it if you did? 

I am old enough to remember coaches who bag skated us for an hour straight. I even remember ones who would make us undo our skates and skate like that. Not once did it make us feel like we were persevering together. It felt like our coach had no other tools in his toolbox to teach us with. 

2. Do you coach hockey now? Do you bag skate your players as motivation?

I coach and have never bag skated my groups ever. Because of reason 1 above. But also because yes I do understand the human psyche better than you might think and it doesn’t motivate. It teaches them that skating hard is a punishment. Why would you want something you expect them to do every shift be associated in their minds as a punishment?

Weak insecure old school coaches use bag skates. Real coaches teach and use communication to get the message across.

You’re missing the point….. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Aquilini addressed it in his press conference that he doesn't involve himself in other jobs. We have to take it for what it is. Stan smyl stepped in right away to confirm that. Maybe it's just me, but Smyl is a very clever fox. Something about how he talked made me think he was brown-nosing.

Me too.  I was thinking he wants the gm job. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

21 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Assuming a base level of skating/skill/work ethic/etc, IQ is always king.

Good coaches/systems can mask warts but they aren't magical.

D still needs to be revamped for us to be a legitimate team.

What would you do to the defense to improve it?

What players would you leave?

Who would you move out?

What players from other teams would you target in a trade?

The defense isn't perfect, but I can't say that it's at the bottom of the league either. The d-corps still needs a legitimate #1 right handed defenseman to play with Hughes

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

What would you do to the defense to improve it?

What players would you leave?

Who would you move out?

What players from other teams would you target in a trade?

The defense isn't perfect, but I can't say that it's at the bottom of the league either. The d-corps still needs a legitimate #1 right handed defenseman to play with Hughes

I don't know what players are available so it's hard for me to say. Which team is actually willing to give up a quality top-4 RD without massive overpayment?

IMO our 3 highest paid RD's have negative value contracts. We'd have to pay to get rid of them to create cap space to bring in their replacements, and pay for said replacements. I don't think we have the assets organizationally for that.

I really don't know what we can do other than draft and wait out a few of these contracts, hoping that in 2-3 years we can fill those holes through our own system. And if we're committing to a retool like this, one of our forwards might be traded for a young promising prospect RD from another team this upcoming off-season.

26 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm excited to see how the Canucks approach the Bruins tomorrow. Shartstain will be back from his suspension. I'd like to think that under Boudreau, this team will maintain their aggressive play and that Marchand will be given the proper treatment that he deserves by the team. 

The days of turning the other cheek are hopefully over.

If only it happened before we gave away Gadj and MacEwen for nothing. Other than Schenn I see toughness nowhere in the lineup. Motter has moxy but as an undersized guy his hits are glorified bumps. Hell, even Beagle wasn't afraid to mix it up in scrums and with hits. At this point I am praying to the hockey gods that Woo pans out.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Finally one of the common folk recognizes my brilliance. 

My questions for those who think bag skates are a team building exercise are these:

1. Have you ever had to do one yourself? How did you feel about it if you did? 

I am old enough to remember coaches who bag skated us for an hour straight. I even remember ones who would make us undo our skates and skate like that. Not once did it make us feel like we were persevering together. It felt like our coach had no other tools in his toolbox to teach us with. 

2. Do you coach hockey now? Do you bag skate your players as motivation?

I coach and have never bag skated my groups ever. Because of reason 1 above. But also because yes I do understand the human psyche better than you might think and it doesn’t motivate. It teaches them that skating hard is a punishment. Why would you want something you expect them to do every shift be associated in their minds as a punishment?

Weak insecure old school coaches use bag skates. Real coaches teach and use communication to get the message across.

Yeah, I don't see where people are getting that bag skates are team and morale building. Bag skates suck, and they don't do anything but feel like punishment.

There is a difference between down and backs which can be done in a fun way, like relays which is team building. Bag skates are not that, they are meant for one thing only, to push you to exhaustion and hate life lol.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Great win, and it felt like they would win even before the game started. They looked faster, more aggressive. Just seeing Boudreau behind the bench gave the team a different look. I don't know, more confident?

One guy, though, didn't have a very good game. Hoglander.  He tried too many fancy things, risky plays and lost the puck often. He has skill and gritty tenacity, but made several mistakes. I wonder how Boudreau will handle Hogz after seeing him coaching his first game.

He will teach him, Boudreau even said in his press conference that there was mistakes and he is fine with those mistakes because the effort was there and they were all teachable moments.

So he will work with Hogz and teach him, I don't suspect to see a punishment like would've happened in the past.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

If only it happened before we gave away Gadj and MacEwen for nothing. Other than Schenn I see toughness nowhere in the lineup. Motter has moxy but as an undersized guy his hits are glorified bumps. Hell, even Beagle wasn't afraid to mix it up in scrums and with hits. At this point I am praying to the hockey gods that Woo pans out.

Myers, Hamonic, and Schenn are all good to go when it comes to physical play. There's no one on Boston's roster that can answer the bell. The 2011 Bruins were probably one of the most intimidating teams in recent history, purely based on size and aggression. Now? The Bruins are easily handled if the top line is contained. 

• Cheers 2