The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Canucks fire assistant GM Chris Gear and analytics director Jonathan Wall

Rate this topic

Dazzle

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

They take shots at the team and our fan base all the time. The second one criticism is thrown their way they get so defensive and start whining.

It really highlights the arrogance of some of these media types. They really seem to think their word is gospel.

The media has changed a lot over the last number of years.  Gone is job security.  Gone is the value of a Journalism degree.  It has become a popularity contest that is fickle as hell and some of the best sources are guys who have started  Youtube channels.  So when the media is criticized, they react with fear. 

It's quite funny because they have to embrace technology and perform on a daily basis.  What I like is that I can pick and choose who I listen to and who I follow.  

• Cheers 1

• -SN- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
13 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

What a stupid article.. what's wrong with Canadian hockey media.. just batching and whining about something all the time.. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/firings-canucks-undermine-unexpectedly-upbeat-week/

Change hurts, when you do it…I say rip the band aid off, get it over with. We’ve all wanted change and a new direction. Here we go!

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Change hurts, when you do it…I say rip the band aid off, get it over with. We’ve all wanted change and a new direction. Here we go!

Exactly, fingers crossed we get the right people in to make the right decisions to lead our team to a promising future!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

99% shameless cover letter with the 1% throwing shade on the organization at the end there. Seems like a pretty arrogant guy tbh. 

Lol true, but I’m ok with it. Let him go for a trot before he goes. After reading about what he does, that’s pretty solid, those RFA contracts. We all love em…maybe not Pete’s so much lol. Anyways, thanks Gear for all your hard work. All the best in your future endeavours.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

What a stupid article.. what's wrong with Canadian hockey media.. just batching and whining about something all the time.. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/firings-canucks-undermine-unexpectedly-upbeat-week/

I am usually ok with IMac , but what was the point of that tripe?

Is there a good time to fire people?

No, Ian, it happens when it happens.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

They got rid of Don Cherry after trying for years. Look at how HNIC has changed since. They all sit up there in their checkered socks and do their kumbaya moments. Bieska is the only one who questions what they're bleating out. MacLean, the back stabber he is, pushes the holier than tho and gets away with it. 

I look around the NHL and see ex-Canucks populating a lot of teams. Chatfield last night had a solid game for Carolina. The destruction of the prospect pool is on who's head? JB or Green. JB provided those players to Green and Green couldn't seem to teach them enough to stick. Was the GM's imperative to make playoffs at any cost?  

I don't think that it was so much the destruction of the prospect pool than just not adding to it as players got old enough to be evaluated and vetted.  Benning felt that he had his core and it was no longer necessary to rely on making 1st round picks as using them as assets to round out the line up.  That is the philosophy anyhow.  If you look at Rutherford's drafting record with Pittsburgh, he only had a 1st round pick in 2 of 8 years but they were challenging for cups all those years.

The criticism of Benning comes from, ok, you've started trading top draft picks to round out the line up but look, there are gaping holes on the D-corps and the D is much worse than it was 2 years ago.  A 1st for Miller is hard to criticize.  A 1st + for OEL and Garland again is hard to criticize but there are other factors that necessitated this move.  The last good drafting year was 2019 when they drafted Podkolzin and Hoglander.  In 2020, Judd Brackett was let go on May 29, just before the draft that saw no 1st or 2nd round picks and so far, no likely prospects.  2021 we see Klimovich in the 2nd round who looks promising.  But I agree, there have always always always got to be drafted players coming up thru the system.

For me, it's the dismantling of the D corps that really bites.  Letting useful players slide for nothing.  This team would be way better if Tanev were still here.  There may have always been issues but not like today.

2019-20                       2021-22

Edler Tanev                 Hughes Hamonic

Hughes Myers             OEL      Myers

Benn Stecher              Hunt      Poolman / Burroughs / Schenn

Hughes and OEL are fine and bona fide top 4 D but are the rest full time top 4? Probably not.  And the other issue has always been the overpayment of Myers.  There is 3 to 3.5 Mil of wasted cap space there.  Benning had been searching for a top 4 RHD for a long time and came up empty.  It wasn't Gudbranson, Myers or Hamonic.  They can do ok with 3 bona fide top 4 D (like they had 2 years ago) and a good 3rd pair guy like Hamonic but if you have natural 3rd pair guys playing on the top pair no matter how good his partner is, you've got problems.  I think that it is job 1 for Rutherford to fix and it's not going to come cheap.

But a lot of the players seem to do well on other teams because they are a good fit in terms of skill set and culture.  Remember what a poor fit Hansen was in San Jose?  This seems to be lost on Benning. The good news is that Benning is watching the games on TV like the rest of us, and wondering why his team was performing so poorly.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I've been very critical of FA over the last year saying he was the problem all along but this guy is winning me over .

F the media

Me too.  I think it's the lack of communication coming from the club.  That's on Benning.  When odd decisions were made, I wondered if that was because of the hand of ownership.  Maybe not.

I especially hated it when Green had to field questions better answered by the GM.  When Benning came out a month ago with a presser after meeting with Aquilini, and he had no answers, one has to wonder if the presser was at the insistence of the owner.  Benning was a dead man walking at that point.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

They got rid of Don Cherry after trying for years. Look at how HNIC has changed since. They all sit up there in their checkered socks and do their kumbaya moments. Bieska is the only one who questions what they're bleating out. MacLean, the back stabber he is, pushes the holier than tho and gets away with it. 

I look around the NHL and see ex-Canucks populating a lot of teams. Chatfield last night had a solid game for Carolina. The destruction of the prospect pool is on who's head? JB or Green. JB provided those players to Green and Green couldn't seem to teach them enough to stick. Was the GM's imperative to make playoffs at any cost?  

If JB had moved on from Green last summer and brought in BB, he may well still be the GM.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

It's like they can't help themselves. 

It was a nice couple of days where everyone seemed to be positive but ultimately our media and some fans went into withdrawal.

Like nobody cares about the human aspect for the first guys fired but these 2 they do?

Everyone fired was part of the team and most likely those 2 would have been fired by JR,in fact this might have been his choice, nobody really knows the exact timeline of events.

Nobody even knows what they do in the first place or what roles are being created and filled. Journalism is dead it's just a bunch of blog/tweet monkeys cranking out feces to throw around in hopes someone gets slimed. I would be embarrassed to live my life like that. There are literally better commentaries and written thoughts here on cdc.

1 hour ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I've been very critical of FA over the last year saying he was the problem all along but this guy is winning me over .

F the media

I have been critical of Aqua, but have been mostly happy with him this week

the article does seem petty

and so does the response

the last thing this org needs is a pissing match between the owner and the media

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Nobody even knows what they do in the first place or what roles are being created and filled. Journalism is dead it's just a bunch of blog/tweet monkeys cranking out feces to throw around in hopes someone gets slimed. I would be embarrassed to live my life like that. There are literally better commentaries and written thoughts here on cdc.

This is so true. Moreover- I am often noticing that guys from AM650 getting their agenda and thoughts from this site.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Me too.  I think it's the lack of communication coming from the club.  That's on Benning.  When odd decisions were made, I wondered if that was because of the hand of ownership.  Maybe not.

I especially hated it when Green had to field questions better answered by the GM.  When Benning came out a month ago with a presser after meeting with Aquilini, and he had no answers, one has to wonder if the presser was at the insistence of the owner.  Benning was a dead man walking at that point.

A lot of the perception over "lack of communication" was pushed by the media.  

They just wanted to keep hearing from the GM or the owner on a weekly basis so that they would have soundbites and more fuel for their complaining.  

Just to add to the lack of communication narrative that's been pushed by Drance and some other clowns, let's take a look at our opponent tonight Carolina and their GM Don Waddell.  

Here's a list of Don Waddell interviews/news.  

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/don-waddell/18218100/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Don Waddell has done ZERO interviews since the season has started.  Benning had at least two media appearances that I can recall this season so far.  

Edit: My point being that GMs aren't supposed to be doing media availabilities very often during the season.  They do a lot of correspondence in the off-season with the season recap, free agency, and the draft.  

Edited by VancouverHabitant

Just now, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Not surprising from a nerd like imac

I guess

I mostly just find him boring

I can sit through at least part of HNIC intermissions, but Dan, IMac, Sitar and that little guy are just so boring.

So boring I turn them off, so I miss stuff like this until you folks on here repost it,

I'd rather  watch Botterill and Bieksa

26 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

This is so true. Moreover- I am often noticing that guys from AM650 getting their agenda and thoughts from this site.

I’ve definitely noticed that as well. They are lurking in here for sure lol. There have been a few times where something pops up online and I’ve thought to myself…huh I was reading that on cdc like 2 days ago. 

15 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Just to add to the lack of communication narrative that's been pushed by Drance and some other clowns, let's take a look at our opponent tonight Carolina and their GM Don Waddell.  

Here's a list of Don Waddell interviews/news.  

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/don-waddell/18218100/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Don Waddell has done ZERO interviews since the season has started.  Benning had at least two media appearances that I can recall this season so far.  

Edit: My point being that GMs aren't supposed to be doing media availabilities very often during the season.  They do a lot of correspondence in the off-season with the season recap, free agency, and the draft.  

Carolina is 4th in the league, the Canucks were 4th from the bottom a week ago

What is Waddell supposed to do, come on and gloat?

the problem was Jim came on and said nothing, that is worse than not making a statement

now Aqua ia in a pissing match with those who should be ignored