The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 10, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Gutsy win by the Canucks. The Jets have so many weapons. Their big line was threatening all night. Ehlers was a non factor which made me wonder if he is nursing an injury.

Outstanding: 

Demko: He stole another one for his team. Kept them in it. Many high value attempts stopped!

Hughes: I watch him just to see the improvement in his own zone. He is playing the body more this year and is reading the play very well. Sure the d-core was overwhelmed a number of times but they had OEL and Hammer out. 

Steady:

Schenn: What a JB signing. He is coming thru big time with key d-men out. 

Dickenson: Another strong game. Excellent on the forecheck with enough physicality to reduce the Jet flow.

Struggling:

Chiasson: His turnover was a double whammy as he lost position on his check. BB kept playing him tho. IMO the game has got to fast for him. I rather take his ice and rotate Abby players thru. CAP likely doesn't allow that.

Pearson: Tough night. Someone should have checked his blades as he fell a lot. 

Head Scratcher:

Meyers: coaches seem to think he can deliver enough ppg to warrant his adventures up ice. He does have all the tools, size, skating and shot. Something in his makeup prevents him from being a domineering force. IMHO Tyler Meyers is one of the keys to the Canuck season. If he can be coached to better outcomes he could be a real force on RD. I prefer that he amp up his physical game.  

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not good enough.  He will make 3 trades tomorrow…

As long as Sutter is one of them, I am good with it.  The ‘foundational’ player which turned out to be sand.  Makes Tanev look like an iron man during his tenure here in comparison with all his injuries and health issues.

• Wat 2
  • RoughGame 1

15 minutes ago, T-Bo said:

Difference is, I don’t think Demko will choke in the playoffs.  Not to knock Lu, he got us there, but Demko just does not get easily rattled.  He does not talk smack, give up dumb goals, and he does what he says he is going to do. The guy is cooler then an iceberg.

Hey, I love the way Demmer is playing now. But it's way too early to be comparing a guy who's destined for the HHOF and a guy who has yet to finish his first full NHL season as a starter. Lu does not become the Nucks winningest goalie and one of the best in NHL history with those cliched flaws that you suggest.

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Analytics serve a purpose no doubt but over one game.

meh 

Heavily tilted yet he played the most of any player and was +2. Hughes must be getting hella good if he had one of his worst games.

I mean, BB didn’t really have a choice but to play him heavy minutes. He was our only viable left handed defensemen, last night. 

It was a gutsy effort by Hughes, but it wasn’t anything spectacular, like everyone here claims. This game was the only game this season where his defensive zone start was over 60% and he got killed in the possession game when he was on the ice. 14 shots against at even strength to 9. No defensemen on the team was even remotely close to those numbers, not even his defensive partner. 

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I dunno. Having someone who's not just a good coach, but a good teacher. Might have made a difference. 

Even getting a couple of 7th rounders would have been nice. 

In one of the threads about firing Green, I went through how almost every core player had their best season in the first year playing for Green, then their play dropped off. Pettersson, Miller, Hughes, Boeser… And the best skaters we had this year were the guys who were playing their first year for Green: Garland & OEL. The one exception to this seemed to be in the bubble, which was right after the players got a few months to train on their own, away from the Canucks’ coaching staff.

So yeah, you wonder who else may have developed better. Or even a guy like Tanev - we all thought he was declining with age, but now he’s flourishing. Seems like he was just declining with Green. No way we let him walk if he was playing as well as he has for Calgary.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Analytics serve a purpose no doubt but over one game.

meh 

Heavily tilted yet he played the most of any player and was +2. Hughes must be getting hella good if he had one of his worst games.

Most game by game analytics are cherry picked garbage. Some ‘analytics’ like WAR in Hockey or Corsi are just straight garbage full stop and anybody using them consistently and particularly on their own to derive some point or another is basically outing themselves as a moron who wishes to be seen as something more than a moron.

if I’m a D-man and my ‘corsi’ is consistently not great but the line is ‘+’ all the time, it tells me that the opponents throw lots of not great shots on our net because they cant get in to get good ones, and we are executing successfully on the counter chances we get.

Corsi bad, win games good. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

In one of the threads about firing Green, I went through how almost every core player had their best season in the first year playing for Green, then their play dropped off. Pettersson, Miller, Hughes, Boeser… And the best skaters we had this year were the guys who were playing their first year for Green: Garland & OEL. The one exception to this seemed to be in the bubble, which was right after the players got a few months to train on their own, away from the Canucks’ coaching staff.

So yeah, you wonder who else may have developed better. Or even a guy like Tanev - we all thought he was declining with age, but now he’s flourishing. Seems like he was just declining with Green. No way we let him walk if he was playing as well as he has for Calgary.

I see your Tanev and raise you an Edler in LA. And a Schmidt in Winnipeg. 

Weird how they all seem to be flourishing now that they're away from Green :ph34r:

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

This is awesome. I wish we had someone like russo... So much of what bruce says about the boys is just great to hear. Very quick to say the wild ain't having miller. He loves everything about him. " Podzkillin... whatever his name is... " haha!

This is the type of leader we needed, a REAL players coach who will get the best out of this group!:towel:

15 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I mean, BB didn’t really have a choice but to play him heavy minutes. He was our only viable left handed defensemen, last night. 

It was a gutsy effort by Hughes, but it wasn’t anything spectacular, like everyone here claims. This game was the only game this season where his defensive zone start was over 60% and he got killed in the possession game when he was on the ice. 14 shots against at even strength to 9. No defensemen on the team was even remotely close to those numbers, not even his defensive partner. 

Hughes is always first or second in ice time.

There is a lot of critical fan in this forum. I’ll take the census on this one and say Hughes had a great game. Obviously not his best game ever (he’s going to have even better games) but he’s grabbed the ball and is running with it and I’m happy to see it. 

36 minutes ago, T-Bo said:

As long as Sutter is one of them, I am good with it.  The ‘foundational’ player which turned out to be sand.  Makes Tanev look like an iron man during his tenure here in comparison with all his injuries and health issues.

I assume you have heard Of COVID-19 and about some people suffering long term complications?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

A real coach challenges the refs, and wins on occasion. And challenges his players to be better, and encourages them to be better. 

Not too mention, calls a fricken time out every once and a while.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brownky said:

Most game by game analytics are cherry picked garbage. Some ‘analytics’ like WAR in Hockey or Corsi are just straight garbage full stop and anybody using them consistently and particularly on their own to derive some point or another is basically outing themselves as a moron who wishes to be seen as something more than a moron.

if I’m a D-man and my ‘corsi’ is consistently not great but the line is ‘+’ all the time, it tells me that the opponents throw lots of not great shots on our net because they cant get in to get good ones, and we are executing successfully on the counter chances we get.

Corsi bad, win games good. 

Exactly. I can’t just look at some analytics and be like oh ya I guess he didn't have a great game.

I watched the game. I can see the stats. Put all the pieces together. Not just some of them 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Imagine if we hired daddy Bruce in the summer...

No, things needed to get bitter.  Ownership needed a strong message from the Fanbase to stop screwing around with paying hundreds of millions of dollars on training coaches and a front office,  Rutherford’s major deal point, complete control, no ownership interference in hockey operations. Aquaman lined himself up pretty good for this to have happened.  But I still give him points for bringing in BB and JR.  Even billionaires can learn.

• Upvote 1