The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 10, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

30 minutes ago, brownky said:

Most game by game analytics are cherry picked garbage. Some ‘analytics’ like WAR in Hockey or Corsi are just straight garbage full stop and anybody using them consistently and particularly on their own to derive some point or another is basically outing themselves as a moron who wishes to be seen as something more than a moron.

if I’m a D-man and my ‘corsi’ is consistently not great but the line is ‘+’ all the time, it tells me that the opponents throw lots of not great shots on our net because they cant get in to get good ones, and we are executing successfully on the counter chances we get.

Corsi bad, win games good. 

Yeah, it is kind of like a boxer who gets hit alot, and everything leads you to believe that he should loose, but he wins every match by TKO in the last round. the analytics are terrible, but he knocks them all out............

IMO, analytics are just tools in a tool box, none of them tell the whole story, but they are useful if everything is all equal, and you are splitting hairs to decide which one is better.

But that is still objective, and the eye test is just as valid, but to someone that does not see that player regularly, they are helpful tools.

I don't use them, but I think they have their place....................keep in mind plus/minus is an analytic, albeit a crude one

Funny enough, if every line is a plus, and your PK and PP are above average, you will most likely be a good team................no kidding! LOL

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, brownky said:

Most game by game analytics are cherry picked garbage. Some ‘analytics’ like WAR in Hockey or Corsi are just straight garbage full stop and anybody using them consistently and particularly on their own to derive some point or another is basically outing themselves as a moron who wishes to be seen as something more than a moron.

if I’m a D-man and my ‘corsi’ is consistently not great but the line is ‘+’ all the time, it tells me that the opponents throw lots of not great shots on our net because they cant get in to get good ones, and we are executing successfully on the counter chances we get.

Corsi bad, win games good. 

I agree to a certain extent.

Analytics can be garbage…… without context. 

Hughes’ corsi has been outstanding for the entire season (63%), but that due to him having his offensive zone start over 73% on the season. Your corsi will obviously be consistently good when you play in the offensive zone, playing against middle tier players. This game, he was matched up against the two top lines and his advance metrics plummet by a lot. 

Out of his 500+ minutes on the season, only 169 minutes of them are against “elite” competition. He rarely goes up against the opposition top line and when he does it’s only because we’re trailing in games, looking for offense.

If you want to look at the eye-test. Just in the first 2 minutes of the game, he lost the battle along the boards against Scheifele and Scheifele made an uncontested pass to Wheeler for a good scoring chance. On Wheeler’s goal, he loss position in front of the net against PLD, and was caught in no man’s land trying to deflect the puck. On Wheeler’s second chance scoring opportunity, Hughes whiffed trying to keep the puck in and let Wheeler sneak in the backdoor for a scoring chance. On the disallowed goal, he was pressured by PLD, gave the puck away, and then let PLD walk in front of the net.

1 hour ago, yes we can nucks said:

Hey, I love the way Demmer is playing now. But it's way too early to be comparing a guy who's destined for the HHOF and a guy who has yet to finish his first full NHL season as a starter. Lu does not become the Nucks winningest goalie and one of the best in NHL history with those cliched flaws that you suggest.

You raise good points, and as I said, Lu got them to the playoffs.  But the joke of ‘what time is it, 12 past Luongo’ still rings out in my ears. They weren’t cliches, he was doing that stuff during their run to the cup. Don’t discount the defencive squad he had in front of him.  Demko, not that lucky so far.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Bailey will be the first call up.  He's got everything BB likes ... hustle, speed, big body, hits, soft hands, can score.  He had one giveaway leading to a goal, Green benched him, then demoted him.   c.f. Chiasson.  Giveaway, goal, next shift BB has him out and he is forechecking like a demon. Motivation, trust, instilling confidence.  What a  difference in coaching styles

Bailey is terrible. What good is being 6’5 215lbs if you don’t use it to your advantage. Doesn’t hit, whiffs on pucks, muffin of a shot, no hands, etc.

Id much rather have Lockwood.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Hughes is always first or second in ice time.

There is a lot of critical fan in this forum. I’ll take the census on this one and say Hughes had a great game. Obviously not his best game ever (he’s going to have even better games) but he’s grabbed the ball and is running with it and I’m happy to see it. 

Hughes gets a ton of leeway on this board. Even last season, when he was playing horribly. People always gave him the benefit of doubt. 

I however, just see it like it is.

If a certain player, plays a bad game (in my eyes), I’m not afraid to call them out. 

• Cheers 1

I think petey is on the verge..  j mentioned last night the chemistry doesnt seem right with garland and pods.   There is a lot more to it then points, its about knowing when and where your linemates will be and that seems to be lacking.  He has struggled yes and perhaps lacks a bit of confidence shooting but his play was good last night.  Unfortunate things like one time passes to him for a shot are not in the right  place for the shot so he fumbles the puck to reset.. passes a litte off can kill plays.  He is looking better and better though.. good sign

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Carolina is fast

I hope we can get DiGuseppe or Lockwood in for the 4th line. 

We've got ample talent to fill Chiasson's spot on the pp. 

+1

Chiasson experiment is over... A couple games ago. ... Shoot!  I wasn't a fan from the start.  Bring up the pizza man!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Bailey is terrible. What good is being 6’5 215lbs if you don’t use it to your advantage. Doesn’t hit, whiffs on pucks, muffin of a shot, no hands, etc.

Id much rather have Lockwood.

And how much of that was directly caused by Green?  Bottom line is we don't know how any of the Abbotsford guys will do under an actual coach.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I really think you should make an official apology to Loui now… B)

He has 3 points in 24 games this season and is a minus ten. 

That being said, Arizona is trying to tank this year, so I guess for the first time in 5 years Loui is actually helping his team.

• Haha 3