The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 10, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

My gawd I can't stand watching them pass it around and not shoot, especially Petey. So happy the coach has explicitly pointed this out. I would hope that will change soon. So often young players need to be taught what puts the other team in vulnerable positions is more beneficial than waiting for the perfect shot. It's deceiving in that perfect shot always looks just one pass away but rarely is. Every shot pulls the opposing players further and further out of position and makes that perfect shot easier to find.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Good move. Wayne Gretzky used a very short stick, Peter Forsberg used an even shorter one. I know a lot of the current players like them longer for defense, but a short one is a heck of a lot easier to handle the puck with. But i guess it’s personal preference 

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

My gawd I can't stand watching them pass it around and not shoot, especially Petey. So happy the coach has explicitly pointed this out. I would hope that will change soon. So often young players need to be taught what puts the other team in vulnerable positions is more beneficial than waiting for the perfect shot. It's deceiving in that perfect shot always looks just one pass away but rarely is. Every shot pulls the opposing players further and further out of position and makes that perfect shot easier to find.

I actually think it was Brett Hull who said way too many modern players are trying to “place their shots” into the tiniest open spot. He said that the quickness of the release is the most important thing. Hull’s release was terrifying, same with Joe Sakic. The hardest shot for the goalie to stop is the one he’s not set for. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

but when we did shoot last night

there was no one near the net to screen/tip/ rebound

Love this team and how they are finally gelling under Bruce.

The one thing that still irks me is their response to backing up their teammates.   Notably when Garland was brought down on the boards on a borderline viscous hit.  He even laid there on the ice for a few seconds.  Yet the rest of the team just blithely played on like nothing happened.  This is one of your leading scorers, who ALWAYS stands up for other teammates and not afraid to scrum it up despite his size. 

And what was the result of just skating away?...The Jets had us hemmed in our zone for a full minute with a couple of good scoring chances, so all that would also have been prevented if we'd circled back and scrummed it up. They could have easily scored while Garland struggled to get to the bench. 

In fact, I have a theory that there could have been a roughing or boarding penalty sitting in the back pocket of a ref who was expecting us to respond, and that's why he didn't call anything.  He was waiting for and expecting the inevitable response he sees from other teams, and was set to even up the calls. Us for the retaliation.  Only, surprisingly, we just skated on. Can  you imagine the Bruins not doing something if we laid out Bergeron like that for instance?

Sad to watch how Garland is learning quick that he's on his own.  Just like Hogs learned, Petey learned, and now Podz is learning too who has been the victim of a lot of borderline and late hits.  Even back to other acquisitions.  Beagle and Rousell even tempered down their games after a couple seasons here.  Miller doesn't even seem as responsive.  I don't know if its the mild mannered, Sedin inspired, captain we have and the older leadership group he influences, like Myers and Pearson who go along with it, or if its something much deeper.  Either way, It was uncomfortable for me to watch that.....again.   And I fear that even Garland, will soon learn and adjust to this tampered down way that has become a part of "Canucks Hockey" and eventually fall in line and not feel compelled  at all himself to push back and stand up for his teammates if no one else is.

• Vintage 1