The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rutherford Press Conference on Dec. 13, 2021.

Rate this topic

JamesB

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They've been a playoff contender for years and pay no taxes. That's a lot more attractive than what we bring.

Also the players they have are a lot better than ours.

I think you mean low taxes.

They still pay Federal Income tax.

In the KHL has no tax. 

Florida, Alaska, Washington, Nevada, Texas, Tennessee, South Dakota and Wyoming have no state income tax. 

So technically any advantage Florida has, Seattle, Dallas, and Las Vegas gets too. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We will likely be sellers at some point since that's how we will bring in more youngsters and clear cap in order to reshape the roster.

who would we sell that other teams would want without having to attach a draft picks...?

3 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I wouldn't be too concerned about Brock to the point of labelling him being "as good as gone" though.

But the team doesn't have enough cap to keep all of Bo, Miller, Boeser, etc, etc. Do they? 

The person I see as the odd man out is Miller, although if the team doesn't take Brock's QO, what happens to him? 

Edited by N4ZZY

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

For Petey to stay at 7.3 he will need to step up his game . A lot.

I bet Petey and Boeser become trade bait.

Maybe Miller if they think they are a few years away. Bruce likes Miller. They will give Petey tons of ice time. Same as Boeser.

Boeser will be the first To go.

"Unless" this team turns out to be closer then they thought. There is the chance that these guys just need a few minor holes filled. I got the impression that they aren't sure yet. Rutherford said " they may be better then anyone thought".

If they decide that this group is closer then they thought they will need to get some buy in from the guys on contract extensions. They still have holes to fill and would need to lock down Boeser , Miller and Horvat.

It is all in Boudreau's hands for now . Oh , and the players . Show us what you got.

I think the boys are going to go on a little bit of a streak. They've won 4 games in a row, can they make it 5 tomorrow night. They look like a totally different team than a week ago, it's kind of insane. They're playing faster. They're playing more intense. They're covering for each other. They're skating hard. All things that we didn't really see on the ice under Green and Baumgartner. 

I disagree about Petey being trade bait. I think he's here to stay. Brock? I could see being trade bait especially if the conversations about his next contract doesn't go well. 

Boudreau has gotten this team to buy into whatever he's selling. Look at the way they're playing. Yes, we've been playing teams on back to back nights the last several games. But given where this team was at last week, they couldn't even beat the Hawks, and they were coming off a back to back. I'll take whatever wins we can get. Does that mean our draft pick in the 2022 draft lowers? Yes. But I'd rather the players be happy with being a part of a winning organization, then getting a "high" draft pick. Knowing our luck, we'll probably land at 5th again

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We gain assets for Miller/Boeser that we use to build the roster. We don't lose more by letting him go.

Also good chance he probably walks unless you pay him 8M+ long-term

We are not keeping Horvat, Miller and Boeser taking up 21M+ in cap while fixing the holes on the roster. We're literally the same team but worse if we keep everyone since we'll have to downgrade on the guys we're getting rid of you mentioned..

I know you like the players but this isn't plausible. 

Bo's got to be here. It's hard to find a good centre that can win face offs, and he's leading the league in that area isn't he? He can also produce offense at a decent rate.

I think the two that could be traded is Miller (UFA) and Brock (QO at 7.5M). 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Half way thru the presser

Some idiot media asked question older white male., diversity,,... etc. Etc. Etc.

Wtf???

I'm an older minority male. Life long canucks fan.. if this team becomes any more "woke" than it is..  I'm gonna start cheering for the CAR Hurricanes

I swear..  if I need woke I go cnn .. I want my hockey team nothing to do with woke..

I want a damn Stanley Cup before I die..

I don't give a fuk what color Demko skin is. Or Aqua skin is or Coach Gabby skin is..  I'm so sick if this media...

No wonder no one wants to play , coach,  or manage in Canada..  stupid woke media 

Hey media guy.. go work on the children's graves we just found in our country schools.  

Freaking attention whores

Edit.

I'm sorry but needed that vent. 

Probably, reminding him that he is now in virtuous, virtuous Vancouver ? 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

7 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Well I think being a fast team will make us a better team and size should be secondary to that. If you have speed as a 2nd criteria then you are doing it wrong, just look at Avs  Carolina, Vegas etc. they all play a speedy game. I think size will be a factor thats looked at if the players we get check the box for speed and skill.

Playoff success is definitely related to grit though.  This team has lacked grit for too long.  A bottle of single malt in the cupboard looks nice, but mixing the party table up with some tequila, rye, JDs and beer will surely add some more fun to the party.  We have 3 bottles of scotch on the team already.  Time to stock up on the other stuff now.

8 hours ago, combover said:

Watched the entire interview.

gotta say I really like what he had to say. 
i like the answers

not looking to trade draft pick 

not looking to add 30+ year old players. 

If he makes trades he wants to get younger. 

likes the team but see it has holes and needs pieces 

take some time to see the team up close before making decisions. 

Good answers to the wall/gear dismissals 

FA made the call give JR the ability to change the culture with his guys that have no loyalties to previous regimes. 

Did say one time a stupid catch phrase “age gap” foundational” “ placeholder”

no fluff 

what a stupid question about Jake  Virtanen.

Some of the questions, where not even hockey related - but not surprising, in virtuous Vancouver.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

who would we sell that other teams would want without having to attach a draft picks...?

Boeser, Miller and all older veterans that can be moved without giving up picks. Unless they're super cheap bodies like Schenn unless someone really wants Schenn. Probably Hamonic and Pearson(not this year) are the easiest to move after Miller/Boeser. We can retain salary on guys expiring in 1-2 years.

15 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Man. Like what is going on..?? 

All these media clowns trying out do each other on Vancouver woke culture?? 

Sadly, this is the world we live in - now.   Perhaps, when my days are over, some sanity will come back, in this crazy world.

The presser, for the most part was quite enjoyable and I hope these schills, will just stick to sports.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Bo's got to be here. It's hard to find a good centre that can win face offs, and he's leading the league in that area isn't he? He can also produce offense at a decent rate.

I think the two that could be traded is Miller (UFA) and Brock (QO at 7.5M). 

Yeah I would keep Bo.  He'd probably be the cheapest and brings more to the table than Brock.

Brock and Miller would net you a good return.

Having two guys so comfortable in their skin and confident due to their experience is just a huge relief.

It just feels like their are grown ups in the room now who aren’t going to be phased or flip flop their vision because of one mistake or one good run.  It kind of reminds me of the gravitas of guys like Pat Quinn and Burke.

Benning and Green for the last couple years have just been sullen and defensive about everything, and that doesn’t seem like a good spot to motivate players.

I Ike what Rutherford said about his vision and what he said about timelines.  I was honesty a little worried about getting two older hires there might be a plan to try to shortcut things and that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Most anyone can see the team is probably two years away from being a likely playoff team.  We need to fill some holes on D and get some competent penalty killers while also getting faster and bigger at the same time.  Tough to do with no cap space and no valuable excess of futures in the system.

I would say the odds of Miller and Horvat being traded have gone up as those are two deals where you can “gain some age” by getting younger blue chip prospects and picks.

Pearson is another obvious candidate to move and get younger.  

The one real downside is that it seems pretty clear that ownership never told Smyl that there was a guy they wanted to bring in so fast.  In that last presser Smyl definitely sounded like a guy who thought he was going to have the job for a while.  To not even leave him as interim GM until Rutherford found a permanent one means that he wasn’t wanted in that role.  Don’t trot him out to talk about being a GM and taking the heat in front of the press.

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Half way thru the presser

Some idiot media asked question older white male., diversity,,... etc. Etc. Etc.

Wtf???

I'm an older minority male. Life long canucks fan.. if this team becomes any more "woke" than it is..  I'm gonna start cheering for the CAR Hurricanes

I swear..  if I need woke I go cnn .. I want my hockey team nothing to do with woke..

I want a damn Stanley Cup before I die..

I don't give a fuk what color Demko skin is. Or Aqua skin is or Coach Gabby skin is..  I'm so sick if this media...

No wonder no one wants to play , coach,  or manage in Canada..  stupid woke media 

Hey media guy.. go work on the children's graves we just found in our country schools.  

Freaking attention whores

Edit.

I'm sorry but needed that vent. 

I don't know what VAN media's problem is really. They continuously ask all these social topics and I can't help but feel they try to get a sound bite from it so it seems.  Every press conference now these are regular questions, which I don't have any problem with. The issue is in the delivery I think, like they're reaching and stereotyping. As if these "hockey guys" are bad people have committed these terrible acts.  It's like a crime to be white now. JF is hiring the best people for the job period, regardless of where they're from. Sure, diversity would always be better, but you need people qualified for the job. Yet the media is insinuating if he doesn't hire someone of colour he is a racist.

Also they keep asking about the Jake Virtanen situation every time and wording it as if these guys are responsible and contributed in the act.  Do they not understand the law? They aren't allowed by law to comment on an on-going investigation, yet every press conference that's held it gets asked. I can't help but feel since the way society is changing that they ask these questions so they can look good and be like I stepped up. The Canucks will comment at the conclusion of the investigation and have been given permission from the Vancouver Police Department. They also said Pits had a similar situation on their farm team and said it was swept under the rug (trying to indicate JF was aware since he was the head guy in PIT, but tried to hide it/didn't handle the matter seriously?) It just felt unnecessary as the investigation is a closed matter and all the info is already out there to be had. I do appreciate JF addressing it head on and providing insight, 

I am proud to see how diverse our media industry, other industries and population here has become. The unfortunate thing to see is it is taken too far sometimes. It ruins the good work others are doing to make a positive change in our world. 

Edited by Outsiders
  • Thanks 1