The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rutherford Press Conference on Dec. 13, 2021.

Rate this topic

JamesB

18 hours ago, JM_ said:

yup, you have to get the pro-scouting correct. Jim made some big mistakes on that, so hopefully the new GM has a better eye on that kind of thing. 

I do feel a bit for Gramlund, he had that 19 goal season and then needed wrist surgery, wasn't the same player after. 

The thing with that is it's a tough ask no matter how good your pro scouting is. Trading an established player for someone on the cusp always comes with some element of risk, otherwise they wouldn't trade that player in the first place. Most times I'm guessing it doesn't work out but once in a while you can strike gold. It depends on where you are in your trajectory if you need to and can afford to take that risk. I wouldn't necessarily call it bad pro scouting if it doesn't go right, These are gambles after all.

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

The problem with trading either of them however is that the Canucks basically have nothing in the pipeline to replace them.

This is why I'm hoping to see a package. Not necessarily these guys specifically but something like:

Miller, Poolman and Rathbone for Dobson  and Czikas. That way we still maintain C depth (and grit).

Or something like Miller and Poolman for Severson and Bahl, then move Rathbone for the (younger but somewhat proven) 3C.

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Thing is defense is a patch job at best as it is.  Take Myers out of the equation and try and replace him with half the cap (the other half going to his replacement, and of course Miller's gigantic raise)....and we'd likely have to retain to get anything decent back.   Where as Miller is a very desirable commodity right now - sell high buy low as they say and right now the most we could get for him, is before or at this years deadline.   Wonder who those teams were - and who the players they were asking about were?   Anyone with Ltir cap space to fill up, and who is going for it this year.    The market for Miller could be insane, and it's a one time opportunity.   Next year he is just a pure rental.    Myers is a decent anchor to have, guys like him don't grow on trees (maybe in the zoo though?lol).  

Edit:  Of course Miller won't be easy at all to replace either - only via the draft really.  Which will take time.   This is part of JB legacy - whom do we keep.   At least almost every single player is a tradeable asset though.    We aren't winning a cup with Miller this or next season.    Of the goal is to win, taking the emotion out of it - sure makes senses to try and get something back for him while we can.    Others too eventually as well.   Glad we don't have to make those tough decisions.  

Yeah I think thats all very fair. There will need to be some cuts up front - and if Petey becomes the #1 center he's supposed to be, and we've still got Horvat, then and only then would I think it make sense to move Miller. But given that Petey loses a majority of the faceoffs he takes, I think the entire forward group kind of collapses without Miller right now.

56 minutes ago, Googlie said:

A Pittsburgh AGM equates to a Vancouver GM?

Actually it kinda has in the past.  Nonis and Benning both moved from AGM. That or first time GMs. including Pat Quinn, is our history. You have to go back a few years to find anyone with experience. Burke had a job as a GM before, but it was just one year's worth in Hartford.  You'd have to go further back to Jake Milford who had a few years experience with the Kings as GM before us, and Jack Gordon with the North Stars for a few years. 

This may be the first actual experienced POHO we've ever had. And hopefully he will hire an actual properly experienced GM for the first time.

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Biggest need is on defense so likely a forward is moved. Boeser makes me nervous. He has a wicked shot but has not demonstrated enough consistency in his career to commit to a long term contract. Not saying he can't, just that the risk his higher. Miller is more a proven player. Top that with his ability to play center and Rutherford has a real gem to trade. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see both moved eventually. 

I've been leaning towards moving Miller over Boeser because Boeser likely fits out upcoming window better, but the more I think about it the more I could see both being moved. 

It'd open up a lot of cap flex without our paying to dump cap, and it'd bring in a lot of assets. Picks, prospects, and near NHL ready players would go a long way towards the getting younger bit that Rutherford wants. Goaltenders tend to age fine, and having Pettersson/Hughes/Horvat rounding out the rest of our core would probably be fine. 

Yes, losing them both would hurt in the short term. But maybe not as much as one might thing depending on what the returns are. 

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

I think we'll only be able to keep 1 of Miller or Horvat. And it may not come down to who we want to keep, but rather, who wants to stay (without a significant overpayment).

I suspect management will keep both JT and Bo until the end of the year, then talk contract negotiation with them and see how that goes. It could be that both make clear they'd rather move on to try to win, which would change our timeline greatly.

I'd keep Horvat over Miller every time, he's younger and I honestly think he's more likely to stay. He's also capable of producing while being our best faceoff man, and he's our captain. Wouldn't be surprised to see Boeser, Miller, or both moved before the deadline, or at the draft. 

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah I think thats all very fair. There will need to be some cuts up front - and if Petey becomes the #1 center he's supposed to be, and we've still got Horvat, then and only then would I think it make sense to move Miller. But given that Petey loses a majority of the faceoffs he takes, I think the entire forward group kind of collapses without Miller right now.

"Right now" being the key words. We're chasing the playoffs, we could claw our way back into competing but it's a long shot. If Covid hits this team again, and we'll know more about that by the end of the day, it could really hurt our momentum as we're already missing OEL and Hamonic. We're not contenders in the near future, and Rutherford's made it clear he sees holes in the lineup and wants to get younger. 

Pettersson's also young, having just turned 23, there's no reason to think he couldn't improve on draws. He's got the hockey smarts, he just needs practice/experience/coaching. 

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

The thing with that is it's a tough ask no matter how good your pro scouting is. Trading an established player for someone on the cusp always comes with some element of risk, otherwise they wouldn't trade that player in the first place. Most times I'm guessing it doesn't work out but once in a while you can strike gold. It depends on where you are in your trajectory if you need to and can afford to take that risk. I wouldn't necessarily call it bad pro scouting if it doesn't go right, These are gambles after all.

drafting is a big risk as well tho. At least with RFAs you have some kind of performance history to evaluate at higher levels. The whole thing is risky.

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Holy crap are our fans ever aholes lol. You saving this one to grammatically hang him like everyone did with Benning? Truly and unbelievably pathetic. Prime example of why this market sucks if you're a hockey player. They got the pitchforks out before the JR got off the plane. :unsure:

It should have said he didn’t say. 

We didn’t hang Benning he hung himself 

he used stupid saying and catch 

phrases to sell his in competence and failures. 
I was happy to see JR doesn’t feel he need to sugar  coat or dumb down his responses 

I like what JR has to say.
i made one negative reference to the failure that got fired meaningless presser fluff. 

it’s almost like you didn’t read anything else I wrote just focused on the one line that mocked  JB and that was it Panties  knotted.

15 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

But the team doesn't have enough cap to keep all of Bo, Miller, Boeser, etc, etc. Do they? 

The person I see as the odd man out is Miller, although if the team doesn't take Brock's QO, what happens to him? 

I don't know who would come in and could replace Brock as an equally effective player with a much more cheaper salary than a guy like him or Miller would demand.

There's more of a possibility that we'd be downgrading in terms of our forward group as a result.

It's tough since I think the vision of the ownership and the management will be to win and compete now with this core but there are so many loops we need to find our way through.

It's definitely going to be some hard knots to untie for this upcoming management and we can thank Jim Benning/John Weisbrod for this cap mess.

8 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Maybe, but he's going to get more calls for Brock, so he'll be enticed more as a result. It'll take a lot of strength for Aggressive Jim to not entertain trading Brock and not pulling the trigger. But then again, maybe he'll hire a GM sooner rather than later and Brock is still lighting it up and all of this is moot anyways.

My biggest interest now is whether or not the team keeps rolling and what JR then sees with his team evaluation. I feel like we are a solid team that is much, much better than people think, and that we don't have as many holes as people think as well (up front, at least). His comment yesterday that this team isn't as good as some people think (paraphrasing) makes me curious to know where he thinks the team is at. I personally feel that our defence is what needs some bolstering, or at least some players back from injury. Anyhoogan, I'm rambling now.

I do agree that Brock is our more valuable commodity but like you said, I also hope they are really smart and are more calculative about this.

Brock is one of our more valuable players and despite his skating issues, he has that intangible of being a good finisher. Our best pure-goalscorer at his peak imo.

We'll have to see what exactly happens.

We knew that Benning was insistent on keeping Brock even when he'd gotten multiple calls for Boes in the past too.

JR is a complete 180 from Benning so I am wondering if he does actually mess around with this current core if they don't fit his overall vision for the team.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Never know. Approach with confidence and maybe something happens. And if nothing else, maybe you wind up with a very good second choice.

I'm thinking that the Canucks gets something better than a 1 for 1 kind of trade.

regards,  G.

I think that is probably the case, but want to stay conservative on my demands....................But yes, the second prettiest is a great consolation prize, and make better wives!

Metaphorically speaking. :bigblush:

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hang in there dude. There's no speed limit on the road to recovery. 

Thank you. I was on too much meds and in pain  I shouldn't have been on here posting..

This forum is my favorite thing and it helps me forget my reality and pain when I'm in here..  Thanks to all you guys for putting up with me last few days..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Travis Hamonic has been placed on long-term injured reserve and that Phil Di Giuseppe, a forward, has been recalled from Abbotsford.
For what it's worth, Di Giuseppe was originally drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes back in 2012 — when Jim Rutherford was still Carolina's GM. So we may be witnessing the Canucks' first Rutherford-induced roster tweak!

above from HockeyBuzz.com - Carol Schram - Game on? Schenn, Lammikko in Covid protocol ahead of Tuesday's game

Edited by sxqhfeh

I like how up front Rutherford is.  He's not kidding that there is a lot of work ahead, and it's going to take a while to get this team right.

Rutherford mentioned the Canucks are in the wrong part of the cycle to be trading 1st rounders. I guess Benning didn't get the memo on that.  I'm really glad to hear that though, because VAN will have a 1st next year. Who knows, maybe Rutherford (and the new GM) will be shrewd and get VAN another 1st. 

Rutherford did mention the D being an area that could be better, so I think that may be the first trade, for a Dman.  They'll probably get the new GM in there first though.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

Travis Hamonic has been placed on long-term injured reserve and that Phil Di Giuseppe, a forward, has been recalled from Abbotsford.
For what it's worth, Di Giuseppe was originally drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes back in 2012 — when Jim Rutherford was still Carolina's GM. So we may be witnessing the Canucks' first Rutherford-induced roster tweak!

above from HockeyBuzz.com - Carol Schram - Game on? Schenn, Lammikko in Covid protocol ahead of Tuesday's game

Hamonic's injury

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-place-travis-hamonic-injured-reserve-recall-noah-juulsen/

Edited by WHL rocks

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I like how up front Rutherford is.  He's not kidding that there is a lot of work ahead, and it's going to take a while to get this team right.

Rutherford mentioned the Canucks are in the wrong part of the cycle to be trading 1st rounders. I guess Benning didn't get the memo on that.  I'm really glad to hear that though, because VAN will have a 1st next year. Who knows, maybe Rutherford (and the new GM) will be shrewd and get VAN another 1st. 

Rutherford did mention the D being an area that could be better, so I think that may be the first trade, for a Dman.  They'll probably get the new GM in there first though.

I think he's going to sit a bit to get new GM. I think he'll make a move soon after new years..  take 3 weeks to assess the team and give courtesy to players not trading them this time of year.

Even if new GM gets hired he'll be more of a day to day mundaine duties guy. The roster and trades will go thru JR.. he's the guy going to be on phone calls when major issues being discussed..

It'll be like Shanahan in Toronto.. he guides the kid GM , let's him do all the GM work except player moves.. he makes final decisions regarding roster.

27 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I do agree that Brock is our more valuable commodity but like you said, I also hope they are really smart and are more calculative about this.

Brock is one of our more valuable players and despite his skating issues, he has that intangible of being a good finisher. Our best pure-goalscorer at his peak imo.

We'll have to see what exactly happens.

We knew that Benning was insistent on keeping Brock even when he'd gotten multiple calls for Boes in the past too.

JR is a complete 180 from Benning so I am wondering if he does actually mess around with this current core if they don't fit his overall vision for the team.

The tricky part of all of this is that we're further along than many people think, and if we trade away any of our core (and supporting core) guys, say Brock for a top RHD, we're filling one hole but creating another. If we trade away said player for futures, well, then we're essentially rebuilding.

Personally, I'd like to see Petey, Hughes, Brock, Miller, Garland, Bo, Hogs, Podz, and Demko as untouchables and the rest on the trade table. Anyone but these guys, please and thank you. 

• Like 2