The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Coyotes gauging market on Jakob Chychrun

Chychrun's acquisition price is going to be impacted just as much by the competition there will be to acquire him as much as his actual potential.  Chychrun had a genuinely impressive season last year.  Maybe not $9M AAV impressive, but considering how bad the Coyotes were, it was a bit of a coming out party for Chychrun.  If Arizona is really shopping Chychrun, then I think there's going to be A LOT of interest in him throughout the league, especially at his AAV and remaining term.  If Byram was healthier, then I wonder if Colorado would be willing to deal him in a package for Chychrun.  It would give them a ridiculous top-6 D although the cap hit of their D core would be enormous.

I would be surprised if the Canucks either have the pieces Arizona wants or have the stomach to actual give up those pieces without messing up the current and future roster. 

What I would be curious about is if the Canucks could be a 3rd wheel on a deal between Arizona and another team where the Canucks could acquire some young blue chip prospects for a lesser price to help facilitate the deal.  Usually that happens with teams that can provide cap relief but if the Canucks move out a guy like Miller or Boeser, then perhaps that might be a piece that is interesting enough to either Arizona or the other team to help balance out the overall deal and yield some value for the Canucks that they would not otherwise be able to extract.

If indeed Chychrun is up for grabs, I'd make sure that the team got a full medical.

* no moving Pearson or Ekman-Larsson, unless they waive.

* cap considerations will have to be taken into account

As to assets which could be moved:   

- the Canucks' 1st for this year

- Carolina's 3rd for this year

- Rathbone

- Lockwood

- DiPietro (forgot to add him)

- Gadj.... nvm

Deal broadeners: These could be necessary depending on the cap issues. As has previously been noted, the Canucks can't take on Chychrun's contract without losing cap.

- Boeser(?), but if he were included then I'd be looking to broaden the deal to get more back from Arizona (they toss in a 2nd for a 3rd, or something like that). Further, there would be a reduced package going to Arizona (lesser/fewer picks and/or prospects) and perhaps a few more parts coming back. This does solve the cap considerations.

- Dickinson. Takes a chunk out of the cap issues. I'd rather not part with this guy (as with Boeser), but ....

- maybe picks from next year (perhaps not the 1st, but it could be a possibility depending on other assets given up)

- Ferland's LITR(?)

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus

Chychscrub :lol:

No thanks.

But seriously how many first would the Voyotes need to add if we traded Hughes for 

Chychscrub?  I’d say they add two unprotected firsts, and I’d still not do it!  7 points and dash 31!  

Chychscrub is the friggin’ Iatatollah of Craperolla!  

Edited by Alflives

meh i would move miller rathbone + 1st for him and then arizona can flip Miller for another 1st + prospect or more to a contending team. i mean either way we are losing a miller boeser or horvat. having 1 stacked left side defenseman is better than what we have now since RHD don't exist. miller should be able to fetch a decent package for arizona since he wouldn't be a rental.

5 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Chychrun's acquisition price is going to be impacted just as much by the competition there will be to acquire him as much as his actual potential.  Chychrun had a genuinely impressive season last year.  Maybe not $9M AAV impressive, but considering how bad the Coyotes were, it was a bit of a coming out party for Chychrun.  If Arizona is really shopping Chychrun, then I think there's going to be A LOT of interest in him throughout the league, especially at his AAV and remaining term.  If Byram was healthier, then I wonder if Colorado would be willing to deal him in a package for Chychrun.  It would give them a ridiculous top-6 D although the cap hit of their D core would be enormous.

I would be surprised if the Canucks either have the pieces Arizona wants or have the stomach to actual give up those pieces without messing up the current and future roster. 

What I would be curious about is if the Canucks could be a 3rd wheel on a deal between Arizona and another team where the Canucks could acquire some young blue chip prospects for a lesser price to help facilitate the deal.  Usually that happens with teams that can provide cap relief but if the Canucks move out a guy like Miller or Boeser, then perhaps that might be a piece that is interesting enough to either Arizona or the other team to help balance out the overall deal and yield some value for the Canucks that they would not otherwise be able to extract.

No flippin' way, Byram is younger and going to be better than Chychrun - no disrespect to Jakob. Both awesome players though, 

7 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Miller for Chychrun straight up? Would you do that deal? 

Can’t see Arizona doing that deal, mainly because Miller’s going to walk straight to UFA. He ain’t staying in Arizona and continue to lose, unless the Coyotes are giving him everything he’s asking for in his next contract. 

10M per year, over 7-8 years. No trade clause. 

I’d play in Arizona too if those were the terms. 

Edited by N4ZZY

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

meh i would move miller rathbone + 1st for him and then arizona can flip Miller for another 1st + prospect or more to a contending team. i mean either way we are losing a miller boeser or horvat. having 1 stacked left side defenseman is better than what we have now since RHD don't exist. miller should be able to fetch a decent package for arizona since he wouldn't be a rental.

We’re going to lose Miller. Bo’s going to stay, and if Miller’s out, then we probably have to keep Brock. 

12 hours ago, Coconuts said:

You're seriously undervaluing Chychrun 

Boeser isn't a piece you build around, he's a high end complimentary piece, Coyotes likely want futures 

You're not getting him to Vancouver without giving up Hogs or Podz, along with probably a couple 1st round picks 

If anyone gets him out of Arizona the price is gonna be steep, but that's what you pay for a high end #1-2 who's 23 years old and on an extremely reasonable contract 

A couple of 1st round picks? Wow. 

I don’t think we can get him then without crippling and mortgaging our future even more. 

Pass. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

If indeed Chychrun is up for grabs, I'd make sure that the team got a full medical.

* no moving Pearson or Ekman-Larsson, unless they waive.

* cap considerations will have to be taken into account

As to assets which could be moved:   

- the Canucks' 1st for this year

- Carolina's 3rd for this year

- Rathbone

- Lockwood

- DiPietro (forgot to add him)

- Gadj.... nvm

Deal broadeners: These could be necessary depending on the cap issues. As has previously been noted, the Canucks can't take on Chychrun's contract without losing cap.

- Boeser(?), but if he were included then I'd be looking to broaden the deal to get more back from Arizona (they toss in a 2nd for a 3rd, or something like that). Further, there would be a reduced package going to Arizona (lesser/fewer picks and/or prospects) and perhaps a few more parts coming back. This does solve the cap considerations.

- Dickinson. Takes a chunk out of the cap issues. I'd rather not part with this guy (as with Boeser), but ....

- maybe picks from next year (perhaps not the 1st, but it could be a possibility depending on other assets given up)

- Ferland's LITR(?)

regards,  G.

lol dunno why u even bother mention OEL even if they waive lol.. why would Arizona want to take back the contract that they dumped and not wanting to pay? your assets other than the 1st round pick have little to no value in a trade. toss in Boeser who's going to cost them at least 7.5mil to sign the next 2 years assuming he's going to take his QO and walk as soon as he hits ufa u ain't even close. on top we prolly lose miller to UFA or trade him back for 1st and prospect we literally lose our entire 1st line. 

• RoughGame 1

I don’t go all in for Chyckrun.  

not with the left side as is and the price.  

His injury history alone and we have a good left side.  Hughes and OEL.  That’s a good left side top 4.  

Myers is a #4 guy. So we have one spot.  

Chyckrun has lots of great tools and did really well, with OEL being derided.  Well how is looking without OEL to shelter Chyckrun?  

Not as good.  

If a big splash is made to address the defence.  It better be a RHD top 2 guy or better coming back.  

especially for the asking price.  

if Dahlin is outs ville in Buffalo I would happily make a deal and never look back.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

His injury history alone and we have a good left side.  Hughes and OEL.  That’s a good left side top 4.  

Chyckrun has lots of great tools and did really well, with OEL being derided.  Well how is looking without OEL to shelter Chyckrun?  

Not as good.  

If a big splash is made to address the defence.  It better be a RHD top 2 guy or better coming back.  

if Dahlin is outs ville in Buffalo I would happily make a deal and never look back.   

I mean, if Dahlin could be had for Miller and Rathbone, I’d do that deal in a heart beat. 

Pretty sure Buffalo’s not that stupid, and will demand more. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, if Dahlin could be had for Miller and Rathbone, I’d do that deal in a heart beat. 

Pretty sure Buffalo’s not that stupid, and will demand more. 

Brock and Rathbone. 

I just wrote a post about how important Miller is the team.  

Hoglander and Podz are too valuable as contracts, Garland and Miller have given this forward group an identity and neither should be dealt.  

Brock and Petey are the under performers and Brock is the least likely to be missed on the ice.  

We have other players and can add picks.  But I would put up a Brock and Rathbone package for a top RHD with term and or age to match the teams.  

Petey is mentally breaking out of whatever stole his mojo last year.  

Brock too, love them both but keep the Center depth, Petey is going to break out of his slump, JT Miller is the heart of the team, Brock is the hair.  Hair grows back.  

lol. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol dunno why u even bother mention OEL even if they waive lol.. why would Arizona want to take back the contract that they dumped and not wanting to pay? your assets other than the 1st round pick have little to no value in a trade. toss in Boeser who's going to cost them at least 7.5mil to sign the next 2 years assuming he's going to take his QO and walk as soon as he hits ufa u ain't even close. on top we prolly lose miller to UFA or trade him back for 1st and prospect we literally lose our entire 1st line. 

Well (lol) I am only going by what others have posted in the past (lol), or are currently posting (lol). And it's not only for potential trades to Arizona (lol), but to other trade scenarios (lol) involving multiple trade partners... (lol).

regards,  G.

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

You know your team is really bad if OEL would waive his NTC to get back to a team he has tried to leave for years Lol

Edited by T.Shelby

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Not as good.  

Chychrun wasn’t sheltered by OEL. He played more minutes against elite competition than any other Coyotes last season, including OEL (according to puckiq).

2 hours ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Pass on this we dont have the assets and we need to restock the cupboards 

with center depth 

and with prospect dmen (drafted) 

i see the rangers/buffalo/colorado/detroit in on this with all the picks and prospects they have in the trunk 

Yeah, I’d pass as well. Only because Arizona would want too much in return, and we’d actually be worse off trading more assets than we have. It would weakened our team currently on the active roster, but it would also not leave us with much for the future either. 

I think this 2022 draft has a lot of good defenseman. If we could leverage a team in the league who would want Miller, I say we trade him off for prospects and younger players moving forward. Our top six would still be decently strong, assuming that Podkolzin and Höglander will take the next steps in their offensive and defensive development. 

Does this team have holes on their roster? Yes. Absolutely especially defensively. But how does the team address those holes without making new ones on their roster? There has to be a plan with regards to that. I’m sick of Benning’s “no plan” plan. 

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Chychrun wasn’t sheltered by OEL. He played more minutes against elite competition than any other Coyotes last season, including OEL (according to puckiq).

I like Chychrun. At 23 years old, he’s already considered a very very good defenseman. What would it cost however to acquire a player of that stature? I think for the Canucks, it would cost too much. 2 1sts, and Rathbone. Done? Or does JR need to add more to that? 2022 and 2023 drafts are looking very good, and I’m expecting the team to be better next season under JR and the new GM. If we’re going to be bottom dwellers, and we make a trade like that, then we’re &^@#ed. 

Drafting needs to be very good moving forward, but I’m not sure I have the same confidence under Benning that I do with Rutherford. But we’ll see. Benning drafted the core of this team, and that core is very good. It’s the defensive core that we really are lacking. How do you acquire that without really drafting those kinds of players?