The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Coyotes gauging market on Jakob Chychrun

41 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

If we are able to early pay his signing bonus (not sure if this is allowed, but I can't think of why it wouldn't be), I believe he would be extremely attractive to Arizona. Not just because of actual dollars spent, but because he would be a good trade chip for next deadline. 

It's all about kicking the can further down the road. That's the only reason why you trade a 24 year old defenseman like Chychrun on a really cheap cap hit.

You aren’t allowed to trade cash in the NHL and this would be doing that.  Otherwise you could pay all the actual salary for OEL for the rest of his contract and just trade his cap hit.

Brian Burke actually suggested this a few years ago as a way to make trades happen (which is good for the league).  

He suggested you de-link the actual dollars and the cap hits.  Currently if you retain half the cap hit, you must retain the same proportion of real dollars.  If you are allowed to trade both independently it would facilitate a lot of trades.

It allows big money teams to get out of mistakes by trading cap hit away but paying the salary.  It helps budget teams by getting better players than they can afford in real dollars.  It doesn’t hurt the league or players at all because the 50% HRR split doesn’t change 

1 hour ago, Screw said:

I can’t believe people are suggesting throwing draft picks and futures for a player.  

Well mainly it is because there is still no discernable direction with any sort of plan.  If we are trying to win in the short term it is a decent move as the defence needs to be completely revamped.

We signed a 30 year old Miller for a long term, big money deal… but at the same time traded a slightly younger Horvat for largely futures.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

The only Canucks package would be Chychrun for Lekkerimaki, NYI's first rounder, Boeser and Rathbone

At this rate I doubt Rathbone will become a top-4 defenceman but may end up being some sort of Brad Hunt-type player...

I think Boeser is going to get better in his late 20s and finally be a consistent 30+ goal scorer

I think Lekkerimaki will end up being (ironically) a Boeser-type player

That NYI first could be a defenceman like Reinbacher, Gulyayev or Sandin-Pellika, all of whom have top-4 written all over them. Quality defenceman

So basically a future top-4 decent defenceman, a 3rd pairing defenceman and two top-6 wingers for Chychrun - a top pairing young LD on a steal of a contract.

It's quality over quantity. Teams like Toronto are in the position to shed quantity to get quality but the Canucks are rebuilding right now (or retooling, call it whatever you want, we're starting from scratch). Right now we need lots of bodies and numbers rather than one or two stars. We need to level this team and start with a new foundation. The two firsts this year give us a great base to build on. Who knows, that NYI 1st rounder may end up being better than Chychrun.

14 minutes ago, Screw said:

I can’t believe people are suggesting throwing draft picks and futures for a player.  

Depends on the cost obviously.

We would just be trying to find a player as good as Chychrun with that Isles pick. We’d have to wait 5 or 6 years with no guarantees before they’re ready to be partnered with Hughes.

Basically if it didn’t cost much more than we received for Horvat it could make sense. I think everyone would have been happy to swap Horvat for Chychrun. We need top 4 D men desperately and there’s not many options out there.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Pears said:

Alright so if you’re Arizona what are you wanting for Chychrun?

I wouldn’t trade for Chychrun! Arizona wants too much for him. I would use our draft picks to get a good defence man and develop him. 
Or create some cap space and wait for another opportunity.

Look at Gustav Forsling, Benning could have plucked him off waivers. He is flourishing in Florida. We drafted that guy.

• Cheers 1

Would be nice to have the guy but the cost would be way to high.

If we could get a top 5 D in the draft they might play next year.I would rather take that chance then over paying any day.

Who knows we might draft two D in the first and have them both play.

The major concern for me if we are involved is trading volume and quality for someone who is progressively becoming injury prone?

Good contracts don’t mean shit if a main player you intend to build your D around has trouble staying in the lineup.

im for Chychrun as long as it doesn’t gut us and, at the same time, we are targeting other D options as well to pursue after the fact 

Edited by RWJC

Just now, T.Demko said:

Would you seriously do it if it’s isles 1st and ours unprotected 1st?  That would define the "compete now" retool approach that FA likes.

Depends.

If we can get another 1st and a 2nd in a Boeser and Schenn trade to balance it out it could be the best of both worlds.

We need to start developing a D partner for Hughes, and at 25 Chychrun is young enough to fit the timeline. 

If they’re not going full rebuild then a move like this is probably what they’ll look to do. They’re not waiting 5 or 6 years to develop a D man.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Depends.

If we can get another 1st and a 2nd in a Boeser and Schenn trade to balance it out it could be the best of both worlds.

We need to start developing a D partner for Hughes, and at 25 Chychrun is young enough to fit the timeline. 

If they’re not going full rebuild then a move like this is probably what they’ll look to do. They’re not waiting 5 or 6 years to develop a D man.

Or we can trade Hughes and get a centre and a RHD and a high draft pick.

That way the team gets better overall.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Or we can trade Hughes and get a centre and a RHD and a high draft pick.

That way the team gets better overall.

I disagree.

We would likely get a worse D man than Hughes. And it doesn’t really improve our D at best it’s a lateral move.

The center is what we’ll be looking for in the upcoming draft. That’s not a piece we should be giving up a franchise D man for.

And the first will be a late one. High odds it will be a role player if they even make the NHL.

• Cheers 2