The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Tampa Bay Lightning | Jan. 13, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Disagree. I mean, I agree with some of you points but..

BB is showing coaching is a massive part of success.

We were the slightly better team in the game last night despite the loss. We need Demko  though and our PP took a step back until the last one in the third which was pretty good. One goal game where we out played the best team at 5 on 5 on the road. Pretty good stuff to build on.

If Demko plays like the top five goalie (in the league) he is, then we get 3 points for sure in these last two games.  When Demko is bad, we have very little chance of winning, unless the other goalie is equally bad, which was not the case these two games.  Both those goalies were outstanding.  Their save % was .950.  Demko's was .825.  

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Disagree. I mean, I agree with some of you points but..

BB is showing coaching is a massive part of success.

We were the slightly better team in the game last night despite the loss. We need Demko  though and our PP took a step back until the last one in the third which was pretty good. One goal game where we out played the best team at 5 on 5 on the road. Pretty good stuff to build on.

Ppl are treating this like we lost to a bottom feeding team. 

I dont understand it. 

Like i said in my previous post, until we lose to teams like Det, Buf, Chicago and get swept by oilers and Anaheim, we are absolutely a better team than before. 

It shouldn't come as a shock that we arent the top team in the league. 

However, i do believe we are at worst still a playoff team. 

Had we beat det, buffalo and chicago, and even gone 1-1 vs Edmonton and Anaheim we would be sitting  2nd in the Division with 45 pts... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Ppl are treating this like we lost to a bottom feeding team. 

I dont understand it. 

Like i said in my previous post, until we lose to teams like Det, Buf, Chicago and get swept by oilers and Anaheim, we are absolutely a better team than before. 

It shouldn't come as a shock that we arent the top team in the league. 

However, i do believe we are at worst still a playoff team. 

Had we beat det, buffalo and chicago, and even gone 1-1 vs Edmonton and Anaheim we would be sitting  2nd in the Division with 45 pts... 

Yes,

We've played so well in the last two that I am extra grumpy about the covid break.

Feel like specifically Demko's timing is just slightly off and we need him to be good, as he is our All Star player. If we have any hope to beat teams like that we need to be firing on all cylinders.

But man, we're close. It's exciting.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good points but I disagree with the timeline cause it will first depend on the prospects' make up, how fast that player adapts; and we had seen a few players (EP, Boeser, Hughes & Hogz) come in & take a roster spot from day one.  Probably, best to give the rookies a legit chance, in the pre season before making any moves to the roster - a mistake JB, made (a few times) by filling the roster with  expensive [great intangibles] player before seeing how rookies, will do, in there first camp. Ofcourse, the biggest x factor, is the coach but a rookie understanding, the situation can make the coaches decision easier by coming in ready to take a spot.

Yes i agree to a certain extend, but ( and this is not to argue) Brock and Podz were 20, when they arrived?

Quinn almost 20, Hogz the same

Hogs and Podz will have a year or two more, before being ready to drive the bus. So In general we can expect drafted players to join the club at 19-21 ( except special talents) and then they need a few years to become constant play drivers ( which we would need to contend). Thus I think we would be looking at 4-5 years before we could really contend. 
But yes we need influx of young players on ELC's to balance out the vets that will be around at that time. 
Regardless of timelines, unless JR can make a few miraculous trades that improves us, while still keeping us under the cap, some vets will have to go for futures of some sort. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol people are prolly going to rip into EP again coz he didn't have any points.. but honestly i think he has played well enough in most of the games so far under boudreau.. he's not scoring but he's setting up plenty of grade A chance that were not finished.

He's getting to the point where chances are not good enough. He gets paid the bug bucks and needs to start producing. I wouldn't mind sitting him for a game or two.

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Probably took something that is affecting him physically and mentally ?

Could very well be something outside of hockey. We know he's had wtist injury, but there could easily be something else that has been on his mind. 
Isues back in Sweden? Sweetheart problem? Etc etc... he is still a very young man, so that would not be at all surprising. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Love how you idiots are blaming Demko. Doubt any of you know how to skate let alone play hockey.

Shots in those two games was 90 for us and 50 for them.

Their goalies stopped pucks at .950 and Demko at .825.

Bubble Demko is top 5 in the world.  The guy we saw these last two games wasn't very good at all.  

JR will build this club around Demko, Hughes, and Petey because these are the guys who can play like they are the best at their position and win Cups.  

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Two games in a row the club plays good and our goalie costs us points.  Demko needs to at least play decent.  Heck, we gave up less than 50 total shots in those games, while putting 90 on the other teams.  And Demko gives up NINE.  

If JR is evaluating the club, what’s he thinking about Demko?  

We really need an eye roll thingy.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rotiman187 said:

He's getting to the point where chances are not good enough. He gets paid the bug bucks and needs to start producing. I wouldn't mind sitting him for a game or two.

Who plays Petey's minutes if he sits?  

You do realize Petey is very good without the puck, right?

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes i agree to a certain extend, but ( and this is not to argue) Brock and Podz were 20, when they arrived?

Quinn almost 20, Hogz the same

Hogs and Podz will have a year or two more, before being ready to drive the bus. So In general we can expect drafted players to join the club at 19-21 ( except special talents) and then they need a few years to become constant play drivers ( which we would need to contend). Thus I think we would be looking at 4-5 years before we could really contend. 
But yes we need influx of young players on ELC's to balance out the vets that will be around at that time. 
Regardless of timelines, unless JR can make a few miraculous trades that improves us, while still keeping us under the cap, some vets will have to go for futures of some sort. 

Np and I enjoy, the discussion.  I get your point and they are valid cause that is the general timeline, that most rookies are able to join an NHL roster (except, for a few exceptions).   

I am really looking forward: how JR & crew will implement a balance approach into building a contender with Aquaman, as the owner.   Preferably, they ride the same roster until the offseason and sell in the TDL.  These next two drafts, if the Canucks hit on there picks will solve alot of the roster holes cheaply - ofcourse, it is a big IF; and short term, it will depend mostly if JR will still choose to go with this core or break it up.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I as at the game last night....a game they could have won. A couple of issues: we took about a half second too long to make passes in the offensive zone allowing the Lightning players to deflect them. We also took a half second too long to shoot allowing a number of potentially good scoring chances to be blocked. Net result...a lot of good offensive energy wasted as the puck quickly went the other way. Throw in a number of close in scoring chances that went 2 feet wide and you have the end result.

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Could very well be something outside of hockey. We know he's had wtist injury, but there could easily be something else that has been on his mind. 
Isues back in Sweden? Sweetheart problem? Etc etc... he is still a very young man, so that would not be at all surprising. 

Imo the issues magnifying his struggle are: his contract and his previous years performance.  He spoiled, the fans with his talent & production; but I can [still] see him battling on the ice to get out of the funk.   Perhaps, this moment in his career will be of great benefit, in his development as a star player in the NHL - and more so, as a human being.

As someone, stated - progress & not perfection; and I am glad the Canucks hired, a less rigid coach in Boudreau - that has had experienced with other stars (Ovi & Getz), to mentor him through this part of his development.

Progress, in real life is not so linear - after all and go figure.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think it's quite asinine to see the last 2 losses (against the top 2 teams in the league) and then say, yeah it was the same under Green lol

Until we lose to the oilers x2, ducks x2, chicago, buffalo, flyers, red wings, no this team is absolutely not like the team under Green. 

In fact we've alrwady beaten teams that we lost to under Green like Columbus, Ducks, Bruins. 

One could argue that Green really screwed us by losing to teams like Chicago, flyers, redwings and Buffalo  as well as losing all our games to the ducks and oilers. 

Winning games we should be winning would be the difference between being a playoff team or being in our current situation. 

Unless we think we reallh are worse than teams like Buffalo, Chicago and Det. 

Of course you had to make this about Green again. Whatever, I've moved on I stand by what I said. The team is not perfect but Green was not the only problem, although I clearly stated the team looks better under BB. Explaining how much Green sucks doesn't make the team any better imo. lol He's been gone for awhile now. We're decent and playing better but we're still several players short of being a legitimate threat, and the good players we do have need to mature. I'm not going to go back in time and wring my hands over games we should have won we just need to win more games in the future.

By the way the Sabres, Red Wings, and Blackhawks have beaten the Lightning, Predators, Penguins, Capitals, Knights, Blue Jackets, Ducks, Oilers, Jets, Wild, Blues, Bruins, Devils, and Sharks.