The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Tampa Bay Lightning | Jan. 13, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

So what should they do? Trade him? 

Yeah trade him and watch him grow into a bonafide #1 centre in the league on another team.  Trading Petey could be like trading Cam Neely.  Petey is definitely one player that can turn around his game and become a 90 point player on another team.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah trade him and watch him grow into a bonafide #1 centre in the league on another team.  Trading Petey could be like trading Cam Neely.  Petey is definitely one player that can turn around his game and become a 90 point player on another team.

Lol everyone always brings up Cam Neely.

No he’s not Neely. I’ve never seen a drop off in play from a young player like this. It’s not just point totals his whole demeanour and drive has changed.

Franchise players even when not putting up points you see that fire in them. I see no fire in Petey. I see a player that looks like a washed up vet that wants to hit the showers before the game is even over.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No he’s not Neely. I’ve never seen a drop off in play from a young player like this. It’s not just point totals his whole demeanour and drive has changed.

Franchise players even when not putting up points you see that fire in them. I see no fire in Petey. I see a player that looks like a washed up vet that wants to hit the showers before the game is even over.

I've never seen a drop like this either, but I don't think it's lack of desire.

Just now, Gatzkek said:

I've never seen a drop like this either, but I don't think it's lack of desire.

Well if it’s not desire then it’s confidence.

If he gets this rattled when things aren’t going well I worry about his ability to lead a team long term.

Pettersson set up Horvat alone in front of the net.... he set up others for excellent chances too.

I didn't see many chances to shoot so I don't think we can dump on him for his shooting.

We need to be patient... all this whining on the boards is doing nothing for his confidence.

I think it was a good choice to put him back with Garland and to add Horvat as the center.

I think he could also be tried again at center with Garland and Podz.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well if it’s not desire then it’s confidence.

If he gets this rattled when things aren’t going well I worry about his ability to lead a team long term.

Does lack of confidence cause you to not be able to stand up? It seems he doesn't have the physical ability to be a player in the league, as I think you said before.

• Haha 2

The Canucks played well... they lost to a Stanley Cup team who knows how to bury their chances.

On the other hand, the Canucks did not take advantage of their opportunities... for their first two PP's were overly focused on making the perfect pass... they needed to shoot more.  Only in the last PP did they start firing and they had their best chances.

4th Line had a good game, although they were overmatched by the Lightning's 1st line on that goal.  But they fought back and scored the 3-2 goal which made it close.  Big change for the positive in how this line is playing under Boudreau.

There was no lack of desire on the part of the players, they kept fighting to the end... that is what we can take from this game.

Now they have a break before the weekend back to back and a chance to get their composure back.

There is still an opportunity to break even on this road trip... lets see if they can come back.

4 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Today's game isn't the game to blast Petey.  He's been mediocre all season but he played well tonight.

We’ve lowered the standard for him then…

Petey playing well still picks up an assist and is noticeable.

This version of Pettersson looks like a shell of his former self. Maybe time to hire some sports psychologists to work on him.

Edited by DeNiro

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don't see what you are seeing in terms of drive.

I think he is trying hard... but needs to make more changes to his game.

He is passing well, he is playing decently defensively, but he continues to hesitate when shooting.  (although this game he didn't have a lot of shooting chances I saw)

His passing is still well over the average... tending towards elite... he makes one look passes... sometimes they are hard passes which are hard to handle, but at least once or twice a game they give players real scoring chances.  His linemates are on a learning curve, they all need to be ready for a pass to come to them and ready to one time it.  If Horvat had one-timed the pass he got in the Lightning game he probably would have scored.

So much talk about Pettersson but very few comment on the mistakes made by Hughes tonight. Or, that his shot from the point is weak which is part of the problem on the pp.

Ok I know he is pretty much untouchable on here because of his skating and passing bu he needs to be more than that. We sure need a point man that can score.

Just now, longsuffering said:

So much talk about Pettersson but very few comment on the mistakes made by Hughes tonight. Or, that his shot from the point is weak which is part of the problem on the pp.

Ok I know he is pretty much untouchable on here because of his skating and passing bu he needs to be more than that. We sure need a point man that can score.

You are correct that his shot is Hughes' biggest weakness.

But I am betting that is exactly what he will focus on to improve... and I am betting it will improve.

1 hour ago, Darius said:

I remember a few years back when Bo had seasons with atrocious plus minus and droughts that seemed to last for months.  On one occasion a video was released showing Hank skating around the ice with Bo, shoulder to shoulder, during practice - the assumption was Hank was giving him a pep talk because Bo seemed to be down on himself coz of how badly his season was going.

i bet you Bo was roughly the same age as EP is now. 

its kinda funny how some posters are so quick to crucify young players while comparing them to older players on the team who have gone through worst droughts.

Anyone remember what Miller looked like at EP’s age?  He was a tire fire.  Think of all the brain farts without the offence. 

how about the sedins? They used to trip over the blue line and get worked physically game after game at that age. 

Let’s give the kid a chance.  I don’t care about his paycheque right now.  He absolutely earned that contract, I think he’s in a rut… we have seen everyone from naslund to sedins to horvat have droughts in their early years. 

Good post. 

I'm inclined to see what he's like over the rest of the season, and hope he comes back strong after a season of training and an actual training camp. But we'll see what happens. In the end all we can do as fans is wait and see. 

But if this team continues to struggle, and lose, we may see changes sooner than later regardless of how high their battle level is. And yes, they are struggling, our top six has been pretty much non-existent these last two games and if they want to hold on to their long shot they'll need to figure it out sooner than later. 

• Cheers 2

4th line shows up, our top 6 disappears. Our top 6 shows up. Our bottom 6 disappears. If we can just put all the pieces together we'll be gravy. Honestly though. I'll give the team the benefit of the doubt. What is this, like the 3rd or 4th game since December 16th? Absolutely brutal scheduling. (Not blaming the league, blaming covid.) They are likely shaking off insane rust, and it happens to be against 3 of the best teams in the league, once we play Carolina. Carolina just got slapped by CBJ too. Next game could get ugly if the boys don't come in with intensity early.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Provost said:

Sometimes this forum is ludicrous.  Folks need some drugs to calm themselves down.

According to folks, a week ago we had finally shown our real stripes now that they jettisoned Green and we wer suddenly contenders who were on track for a deep Cup run. 

A couples losses and now our team is trash and we need to trade everyone.

How about the team is just about what all the analysts said right from the beginning the the year.  They aren’t very good, but aren’t amongst the very worst.

We are playing really good teams right now and they are showing us we have some work to do to be in their league.   Nothing to panic about.

Another loss and it gives Rutherford the window to start tinkering with the roster, something he can’t do when the team is on a winning streak.

Make a couple big trades, add young top 4D plus futures.  Use the futures for cap space to make a deal before the draft.

Perpetual rebuild, yayyyy 

17 hours ago, Provost said:

Sometimes this forum is ludicrous.  Folks need some drugs to calm themselves down.

According to folks, a week ago we had finally shown our real stripes now that they jettisoned Green and we wer suddenly contenders who were on track for a deep Cup run. 

A couples losses and now our team is trash and we need to trade everyone.

How about the team is just about what all the analysts said right from the beginning the the year.  They aren’t very good, but aren’t amongst the very worst.

We are playing really good teams right now and they are showing us we have some work to do to be in their league.   Nothing to panic about.

Another loss and it gives Rutherford the window to start tinkering with the roster, something he can’t do when the team is on a winning streak.

Make a couple big trades, add young top 4D plus futures.  Use the futures for cap space to make a deal before the draft.

Great take.

Back in the 80s Flames traded Brett Hull for Rob Ramage and Rick Walmsley. Then they won a cup. 

I’m not suggesting that we need to trade a future hall of famer, just that Canucks will most likely have to trade one of their better offensive players if they want to shore up their defense and become a legitimate comtender. 

I’m interested to see what moves JR has up his sleeve.

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Upvote 3