The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Tampa Bay Lightning | Jan. 13, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

RE: Petersson: Im as disappointed as anyone as he is supposed to be the team’s clutch producing player.  VS TB though I thought he showed his vision well-had some nice set ups (if only Meyers didnt ring that one off the post).  Had a breakaway.  

I think the loss and overall lack of production is pissing people off and fair enough, but Im curious how he will fare on the rest of the road trip (on the wing).

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who plays Petey's minutes if he sits?  

You do realize Petey is very good without the puck, right?

Oh no -  another expensive Lil things 2.0?:rolleyes:

I remember BB telling the players he wanted them to shoot more

Then the PP comes out doing the full 2 min of passing around without a shot

Next time start the pp2, making QUICK passes and QUICK shots before blocked 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Concern about EP is understandable although the calls to trade him are premature, IMHO.  EP's struggles are frustrating especially after he missed most of camp.  However, I would rather try EP at different forward positions to try to get him going than trade him at this point.  If EP can't get anything going by the end of the season, then it's going to get interesting.

I think the Canucks are stuck with seeing how EP plays out the rest of the season at which point it will be exceedingly interesting to see what the new management group does especially if he continues to struggle.  My guess is that EP is more likely to be retained than to be traded, but if he starts out slow again next season, then all bets are off.  This will also be affected by other trades though I'm not sure how much movement we'll see at or before the trade deadline given all the COVID chaos in the league.  Overall however, 2022 could see some major changes with the team - I'm very intrigued to see if the new management team sees the team needing tweaks or major changes.  If it's major changes, then it seems like the only "safe" guys are Demko and Hughes and they will probably be the expensive "veterans" for a future contending Canucks' roster.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Of course you had to make this about Green again. Whatever, I've moved on I stand by what I said. The team is not perfect but Green was not the only problem, although I clearly stated the team looks better under BB. Explaining how much Green sucks doesn't make the team any better imo. lol He's been gone for awhile now. We're decent and playing better but we're still several players short of being a legitimate threat, and the good players we do have need to mature. I'm not going to go back in time and wring my hands over games we should have won we just need to win more games in the future.

By the way the Sabres, Red Wings, and Blackhawks have beaten the Lightning, Predators, Penguins, Capitals, Knights, Blue Jackets, Ducks, Oilers, Jets, Wild, Blues, Bruins, Devils, and Sharks.

I didn't make this about Green. Someone else did and then you supported it so i disagreed. 

Under Green this was a bottom 5 team in the league. 

Under BB, we have been a top 5 but the sample size is small so I'm willing to say we are at least a playoff team. 

Ofcourse this team has problems other than coaching. All teams do. 

Objectively speaking though, coaching was the biggest factor why we sit outside of the playoffs desite our recent streak. 

Im just making fun of the people that dismiss our steak and attribute it to a coaching bump based on our last 2 games where we  lost to the top 2 teams in the league. 

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

So like my response on the Panthers game seems like the narrative in some the losses Green had this season.

Maybe in reality after the coaching change bump the performance the team had when Green was coaching is just what this team really is. 

Not entirely wrong but there is a key difference: Green's team outshot weaker teams and lost (i.e., Chicago, Detroit, Anaheim) while not being able to outshoot a top team and losing in a crappy manner (Penguins game that got him fired and Avalanche game where we lost 7-1).

Boudreau's team outshot the two of the best teams in the league. Their execution was off.

I think it remains to be seen how much positive effect the coaching change really has. I think it's legit but we will see.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Who plays Petey's minutes if he sits?  

You do realize Petey is very good without the puck, right?

He doesn't get paid 8+ mil to be good without the puck. His comments from the offseason don't look so good anymore. I'm sure you can almost bring up anyone and they will put in the same results as what EP is providing us which is pretty much nothing. 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo the issues magnifying his struggle are: his contract and his previous years performance.  He spoiled, the fans with his talent & production; but I can see him battling on the ice to get out of the funk.   Perhaps, this moment in his career will be of great benefit, in his development as a star player in the NHL - and more so, as a human being.

As someone, stated - progress & not perfection; and I am glad the Canucks hired, a less rigid coach in Boudreau - that has had experienced with other stars (Ovi & Getz), to mentor him through this part of his development.

Progress, in real life is not so linear - after all and go figure.

As the old saying goes... what doesn't kill us makes us stronger...

Zero doubt that if (when) he pulls through, he will become a far stronger player mentally for it. And yes bruce force is experience.. you can't buy experience...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Oh no -  another expensive Lil things 2.0?:rolleyes:

I remember BB telling the players he wanted them to shoot more

Then the PP comes out doing the full 2 min of passing around without a shot

Next time start the pp2, making QUICK passes and QUICK shots before blocked 

::D

To be honest don't think Petey was the main problem on the PP playing the screen possion. But yes that was the only disappointing thing last night. It was like a step back in time...

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I didn't make this about Green. Someone else did and then you supported it so i disagreed. 

Under Green this was a bottom 5 team in the league. 

Under BB, we have been a top 5 but the sample size is small so I'm willing to say we are at least a playoff team. 

Ofcourse this team has problems other than coaching. All teams do. 

Objectively speaking though, coaching was the biggest factor why we sit outside of the playoffs desite our recent streak. 

Im just making fun of the people that dismiss our steak and attribute it to a coaching bump based on our last 2 games where we  lost to the top 2 teams in the league. 

Oh okay. I agree we're looking better and the last two games we still played well. My commentary was based on the notion we are a middle of the pack team and not quite at either level we've seen. I mean I don't think we're Green bad but I don't think we're at the bump level either. Or do you think we're a .875 (pre road) or even .750 team moving forward?

Reading through the posts I see quite a few comments on our defense being weak. I agree we need one more good dman but overall I think our defense has been surprisingly good. OEL has been pretty steady, Schenn has been way better then expected eating up pretty big minutes (who woulda thought) and Hughes has been his dynamic self. Demko has been a bit off the last two games but that happens over the course of a season. As many posters have pointed out the big problem has been or top guys not contributing goals as expected especially EP and to a lesser extent Brock. Don't know how we get them on track. I suspect that Rutherford's patience will not last much longer. Whatever he does I hope he's smarter then Edmonton's guys and stays away from Kane. He would be poison in the room regardless of his talent. Yeah everybody deserves a second chance but he used up his second chance about 5 chances ago. Hope we get things going again on Saturday.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

Reading through the posts I see quite a few comments on our defense being weak. I agree we need one more good dman but overall I think our defense has been surprisingly good. OEL has been pretty steady, Schenn has been way better then expected eating up pretty big minutes (who woulda thought) and Hughes has been his dynamic self. Demko has been a bit off the last two games but that happens over the course of a season. As many posters have pointed out the big problem has been or top guys not contributing goals as expected especially EP and to a lesser extent Brock. Don't know how we get them on track. I suspect that Rutherford's patience will not last much longer. Whatever he does I hope he's smarter then Edmonton's guys and stays away from Kane. He would be poison in the room regardless of his talent. Yeah everybody deserves a second chance but he used up his second chance about 5 chances ago. Hope we get things going again on Saturday.

Absolutely.  There is a narrative about us being weak defensively that became established under Green but isn't really holding up this year, even when Green was still coach.  We actually defend pretty well and it's not all Demko since we don't get hemmed in our own end anything like as often as we did a couple of years ago.  I agree that we could use one more good D and humbly suggest that Rathbone is that guy.  When you look at Florida's D, it's an excellent top pairing that's getting paid and solid but unspectacular guys outperforming value contracts after that.  You can win that way and it's a model we should follow.  The idea that we should trade Miller, Petey, Brock or Bo to bolster our D flies in the face of the anemic offense we've seen over this season and last.  Except for Miller, we just don't have anyone who can finish consistently, and it's our single biggest problem.

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Two games in a row the club plays good and our goalie costs us points.  Demko needs to at least play decent.  Heck, we gave up less than 50 total shots in those games, while putting 90 on the other teams.  And Demko gives up NINE.  

If JR is evaluating the club, what’s he thinking about Demko?  

Jacob markstrom is that you ???

• Haha 1