The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Alex Belzile, Cam Dineen

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Seattle is making some really weird moves. 

They have been making weird moves since day 1, I always liked Ron Francis as both a player and a GM but now I am kinda scratching my head at stuff he has done and is doing...

• Cheers 1

Seattle seems completely lost. They had obviously planned to follow Vegas footsteps in fleecing other teams in the expansion, but once teams learned from their past mistakes and went nu-uh not this time they had no backup plan. It still looks like they have no plan and no clue what they’re doing or trying to do. It’s just a complete mess over there.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Seattle is making some really weird moves. 

Seattle should have hired Mike Gillis. He'd have built a better day one team. It always seemed like the wrong move to hire Ron Francis down in Seattle. Hell, even the hire of Dave Hakstol as the coach seemed odd when coaches like Bruce Boudreau, Claude Julien, Mike Babcock, and Rick Tocchet were available at the time. (I know people don't like Babcock but he did start his coaching career in the WHL guiding the Spokane Chiefs).

That said, we have to remember that VGK are an expansion outlier and almost all expansion teams struggle out of the gate. But I think I'm just surprised by the amount of players struggling in Seattle. Grubauer has been terrible, Dreidger can't stay healthy, Larsson has regressed. It'll be a tough couple of years in Seattle -- that said, they'll have their own AHL team next year and Francis did draft most of the stud d-core in Carolina -- so there's a chance he can build a really great team.

I just thought they'd be more competitive now.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Seattle should have hired Mike Gillis. He'd have built a better day one team. It always seemed like the wrong move to hire Ron Francis down in Seattle. Hell, even the hire of Dave Hakstol as the coach seemed odd when coaches like Bruce Boudreau, Claude Julien, Mike Babcock, and Rick Tocchet were available at the time. (I know people don't like Babcock but he did start his coaching career in the WHL guiding the Spokane Chiefs).

That said, we have to remember that VGK are an expansion outlier and almost all expansion teams struggle out of the gate. But I think I'm just surprised by the amount of players struggling in Seattle. Grubauer has been terrible, Dreidger can't stay healthy, Larsson has regressed. It'll be a tough couple of years in Seattle -- that said, they'll have their own AHL team next year and Francis did draft most of the stud d-core in Carolina -- so there's a chance he can build a really great team.

Uh, no. :lol: Some of the darnest things that Gillis sympathizers say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Podz92 said:

They have been making weird moves since day 1, I always liked Ron Francis as both a player and a GM but now I am kinda scratching my head at stuff he has done and is doing...

Ron Francis is a good player but terrible GM

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Quantum said:

That seems to be more of the coaching problem causing this. Reminds me of how everyone sucked under Green. Canucks should try to get Larsson while his stock is low due to the terrible coaching. 

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Uh, no. :lol: Some of the darnest things that Gillis sympathizers say.

Gillis would actually have a better coach and team on the ice than Ron Francis, thats for sure. Even a monkey would have done better, you make it sound like Ron Francis is some genius, he is not. I mean not picking Domi, Tarasenko etc. was pretty stupid. He picked Lind instead of other available Canucks players. Then he hires the worst coach in Hakstol which philly got rid of, instead of hiring Bruce or claude julien who are a million times better.

Edited by DefCon1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Gillis would actually have a better coach and team on the ice than Ron Francis, thats for sure. Even a monkey would have done better, you make it sound like Ron Francis is some genius, he is not. I mean not picking Domi, Tarasenko etc. was pretty stupid. He picked Lind instead of other available Canucks players. Then he hires the worst coach in Hakstol which philly got rid of, instead of hiring Bruce or claude julien who are a million times better.

Gillis hired Torts, just saying. The team was pretty much in decline, and that was on Gillis. This was after 2012. Yes, the good records are a bit misleading because the Canucks still had good core players, but Gillis had no replacements coming in.

Last time I checked, a GM is supposed to build on their predecessors. Gillis sent the Canucks back with his poor drafting and developing.

So no, I wouldn't want Gillis building my team. We can see how poor the coaching selection was with Gillis, hiring WD and ultimately Torts, and TG.

People remember Gillis for his playoff runs. Do people remember how his teams did after that?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

So no, I wouldn't want Gillis building my team. We can see how poor the coaching selection was with Gillis, hiring WD and ultimately Torts, and TG.

Wait, what? Gillis is getting blamed for Desjardins and Green now? How does that work?

Gillis had a great run. Then he stated it was time for a rebuild. Instead he was fired, and the new regime tried repeatedly to  make winners of a core that was way past its prime. As a result, we have multiple seasons at the bottom of the standings, and yet somehow have a shallow prospect pool at the same time. None of that is on Gillis, rather it strongly suggests he was right.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Wait, what? Gillis is getting blamed for Desjardins and Green now? How does that work?

Gillis had a great run. Then he stated it was time for a rebuild. Instead he was fired, and the new regime tried repeatedly to  make winners of a core that was way past its prime. As a result, we have multiple seasons at the bottom of the standings, and yet somehow have a shallow prospect pool at the same time. None of that is on Gillis, rather it strongly suggests he was right.

It also suggests that ownership didn't trust an unqualified moron who couldn't evaluate talent and had one of the worst drafting reciprocal in the history of the sport to do a rebuild.  Francis isn't doing well at all though.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

It also suggests that ownership didn't trust an unqualified moron who couldn't evaluate talent and had one of the worst drafting reciprocal in the history of the sport to do a rebuild.  Francis isn't doing well at all though.

GettyImages-117115725-scaled-e1583111493

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

GettyImages-117115725-scaled-e1583111493

Won with a core built by qualified hockey people.  What evidence was there to suggest that idiot had any hope of successfully rebuilding given how badly he crippled the franchise with his drafting and bad trades?  If he had done an acceptable job here, he would have found another job in hockey ops by now.

18 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Won with a core built by qualified hockey people.  What evidence was there to suggest that idiot had any hope of successfully rebuilding given how badly he crippled the franchise with his drafting and bad trades?  If he had done an acceptable job here, he would have found another job in hockey ops by now.

Yep. I agree to a degree. But it’s always like that, isn’t it? The current regime of any NHL team/organization will have their core (if they take over at the right time) built by the previous regime. But I also agree that Gillis drafted so awful. He really did cripple this organization for such a long time because of poor drafting. His trades to supplement the core that was built by the previous regime, wasn’t too bad, though. He landed us some key pieces for the 2011 run. 

Gillis’ situation I find will be the same that Benning will find himself in, but worse. I don’t think Benning will get another attempt at GM in another NHL organization, because of how poorly he constructed the Canucks over 8 years. The rest of the league saw that, and they will not forget. 

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yep. I agree to a degree. But it’s always like that, isn’t it? The current regime of any NHL team/organization will have their core (if they take over at the right time) built by the previous regime. But I also agree that Gillis drafted so awful. He really did cripple this organization for such a long time because of poor drafting. His trades to supplement the core that was built by the previous regime, wasn’t too bad, though. He landed us some key pieces for the 2011 run. 

Gillis’ situation I find will be the same that Benning will find himself in, but worse. I don’t think Benning will get another attempt at GM in another NHL organization, because of how poorly he constructed the Canucks over 8 years. The rest of the league saw that, and they will not forget. 

I think Benning will do quite well as an AGM, but not as a GM.