The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Motte drawing interest

The most teams would probably pay is a 2nd.

Thats a lottery ticket that wouldn’t be ready for 3-4 years minimum. And even if you hit with the puck you might only be getting a Motte replacement or a bottom pairing D man.

Im all for more picks but not at the expense of trading important guys to the team. 

Re-sign Motte! Easily worth the 2-2.5 mil he would cost.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don't disagree, and I like him too. But every player is tradeable for the right price. Also depends on what Motte wants in the form of an extension and how JR and his future GM see the cap being spread out.

We'll see. If he comes back I won't mind, depending on the cost. With a larger salary come larger expectations. I do have concerns about his ability to stay healthy though. 

3 hours ago, Devron said:

Rutherford spitting facts. Thank goodness. 

I know people get excited about the deadline but the facts are Motte fills a spot and is very important player. We could use a couple more players like that 

No idea why everyone always wants to blow it up and start from scratch. All under the banner of we can't afford to keep everyone! Then, they cry and whine about losing.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

No idea why everyone always wants to blow it up and start from scratch. All under the banner of we can't afford to keep everyone! Then, they cry and whine about losing.

Agreed. JB put a good team together. Also we have some players that need to grow into bigger roles. Hogs and Pods come to mind. Everyone has taken JR comments about getting younger to heart. Sometimes that just means we need a succession plan when some of our older can’t play. We do need to restock some prospects but it starts at the draft. Getting a second rounder for Motte doesn’t help us. He’s only 26 years old 

• Cheers 2

On 1/19/2022 at 6:39 PM, DeNiro said:

The most teams would probably pay is a 2nd.

Thats a lottery ticket that wouldn’t be ready for 3-4 years minimum. And even if you hit with the puck you might only be getting a Motte replacement or a bottom pairing D man.

Im all for more picks but not at the expense of trading important guys to the team. 

Re-sign Motte! Easily worth the 2-2.5 mil he would cost.

I agree. I like Motte. He’s been a solid piece to the team. Irreplaceable? Of course not. but he’s as valuable as they come as a player that doesn’t necessarily produce offense like the top six does, but he brings a lot of things to the ice that isn’t on the stat sheet on any given night. He’s a great penalty killer, which this team needs, because well, our PK has been bad this season. 

It was historically bad when he was out of the line up. He brings an element to the team that this team lacks. Trading him for futures doesn’t necessarily make sense. But if you can get a 1st for the man….

• Cheers 1

On 1/19/2022 at 10:08 PM, Devron said:

Agreed. JB put a good team together. Also we have some players that need to grow into bigger roles. Hogs and Pods come to mind. Everyone has taken JR comments about getting younger to heart. Sometimes that just means we need a succession plan when some of our older can’t play. We do need to restock some prospects but it starts at the draft. Getting a second rounder for Motte doesn’t help us. He’s only 26 years old 

He’s not old by any stretch. But his body would also have a ton of mileage on it with the way he plays too. 

On 1/19/2022 at 10:15 PM, KyGuy123 said:

Then you sign him in the off-season. Trade him for a second all day long if you are out of the playoffs. If you lose him to UFA, you were going to lose him anyway. 
Second round pick please.

Only problem is what happens when the team is not quite out of it, but not quite in it either. That middle ground. Do you become sellers or buyers? I find that to be the most difficult decision. You’re close, but if you decide to sell, that sends the message to the rest of the team that you’re done this season. But you’re not quite that close, so if you buy, well, that could get you into all kinds of problems moving into the off-season when the team doesn’t make the playoffs. You miss out on maximizing Miller’s worth and value for a return. 

On 1/19/2022 at 9:59 PM, FaninMex said:

The nature of our fan base. Flip flopping like flip flops 

.Bouncing Sam Smith GIF by Apple Music

• Cheers 1

On 1/19/2022 at 7:11 PM, 70seven said:

Id just keep Motte at U3M over 4 years, but this is likely his best opportunity to make bank, so I suspect he tests UFA.

I think the club needs to make an offer before the season ends, so that they know where he’s at. If he intends to test the market, then probably need to trade him to get something back. Then circle back to him during Free Agency to see if he’d be interested in coming back to the Canucks. 

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Only problem is what happens when the team is not quite out of it, but not quite in it either. That middle ground. Do you become sellers or buyers? I find that to be the most difficult decision. You’re close, but if you decide to sell, that sends the message to the rest of the team that you’re done this season. But you’re not quite that close, so if you buy, well, that could get you into all kinds of problems moving into the off-season when the team doesn’t make the playoffs. You miss out on maximizing Miller’s worth and value for a return. 

It’s a Buisness first and if you run your team off feelings or predictions you end up where we are now. Look at the Vegas approach, those guys are cut throat but they run a great team. You get the price you want and move on.

5 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

It’s a Buisness first and if you run your team off feelings or predictions you end up where we are now. Look at the Vegas approach, those guys are cut throat but they run a great team. You get the price you want and move on.

Where they are?  They're looking not too bad.  If they have a good deadline, they'll be in good shape