The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Motte drawing interest

So reading The Hockey Writers blog, says Canucks interested in Kratsov.  But not necessarily tied to flashy name trade.  In a different article read that NYR was also looking for a checking line winger.

So maybe some deal revolving around Motte for Kratsov?

Motte will be a UFA.  Kratsov is a disgruntled prospect that bolted to the KHL.

yes/no/maybe?

Dunno.  Think I would keep Motte.  And maybe pitch the Dickinson for Kratsov.  :P

1 hour ago, BPA said:

So reading The Hockey Writers blog, says Canucks interested in Kratsov.  But not necessarily tied to flashy name trade.  In a different article read that NYR was also looking for a checking line winger.

So maybe some deal revolving around Motte for Kratsov?

Motte will be a UFA.  Kratsov is a disgruntled prospect that bolted to the KHL.

yes/no/maybe?

Dunno.  Think I would keep Motte.  And maybe pitch the Dickinson for Kratsov.  :P

I'd do Motte for Kratsov. We take a flyer on a big winger with some upside. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I'd do Motte for Kratsov. We take a flyer on a big winger with some upside. 

I'd do it too, particularly because we've already got a Russian in Podz. 

I like Motte, and I'm fine with keeping or trading him, but I question his ability to stay healthy. He's great when he's in the lineup, but he's struggled to stay healthy these last few seasons. Some of it's his play style, perhaps some of it was Green's systems. Motte's a guy I'd be wondering if we could replace internally. Could Highmore and Lammikko be the building blocks of a good fourth line without Motte? I don't see why not. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I like Motte, and I'm fine with keeping or trading him, but I question his ability to stay healthy. He's great when he's in the lineup, but he's struggled to stay healthy these last few seasons. Some of it's his play style, perhaps some of it was Green's systems. Motte's a guy I'd be wondering if we could replace internally. Could Highmore and Lammikko be the building blocks of a good fourth line without Motte? I don't see why not. 

And a lot of this hinges on whether Motte is even willing to extend at $1.5-$2m.

Maybe he's looking for more. Maybe he wants to see what the market has for him... We can't just let him walk.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And a lot of this hinges on whether Motte is even willing to extend at $1.5-$2m.

Maybe he's looking for more. Maybe he wants to see what the market has for him... We can't just let him walk.

Motte at $2M AAV for several years would be perfect.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Oh def, I like Motte but I'm not interested in overpaying to retain him

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

Dunno.  Seems kinda low.  If I were Motte, I’d take a look at Dickinson contract and say I’d better get something like that.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Oh def, I like Motte but I'm not interested in overpaying to retain him

If it's Dickinson money, I think we need to move on.  Lockwood could probably take his place.  Paying a guy $2.5M to $3M for 4th line duties is not what you do when trying to build a long-term competitive team.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If it's Dickinson money, I think we need to move on.  Lockwood could probably take his place.  Paying a guy $2.5M to $3M for 4th line duties is not what you do when trying to build a long-term competitive team.

Agreed, we can't keep overpaying guys. Particularly when we've got Lockwood in the fold. There's a good chance someone else could slot in with Lammikko and Highmore and be effective, I like Motte but he's not irreplaceable.

13 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I also like Motte, and I wouldn’t mind keeping him around if it was for 2M or less for a bit of term for the guy (4 years). I’d be fine with that contract. He, Lammikko, and Highmore is a great fourth line, and they’ve been able to score some goals for the team as well. I’d like to try to keep that line intact if it’s possible. 

Kravtsov for me is a thrown in any deal involving Miller. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed, we can't keep overpaying guys. Particularly when we've got Lockwood in the fold. There's a good chance someone else could slot in with Lammikko and Highmore and be effective, I like Motte but he's not irreplaceable.

Yeah, that’s true. Motte’s a good player, but I wish he could produce a little bit more offensively. But then again, he’s a fourth line guy. An excellent fourth line guy who understand his role really well. If he wants to stay in Van, I think he takes a little less to do that. But if he wants to get whatever he can in terms of money, then I think he goes elsewhere. Management should already know what some of these players are wanting as they move forward. We’re almost 4-5 weeks to go before the trade deadline. I don’t expect to hear rumors until closer to the end of the month, and early March. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I also like Motte, and I wouldn’t mind keeping him around if it was for 2M or less for a bit of term for the guy (4 years). I’d be fine with that contract. He, Lammikko, and Highmore is a great fourth line, and they’ve been able to score some goals for the team as well. I’d like to try to keep that line intact if it’s possible. 

Kravtsov for me is a thrown in any deal involving Miller. 

Definitely.  NYR tried to move Kravtsov and had no takers.  So why would he add value to a package here?  It's a huge risk acquiring a player like Kravtsov.  What if he goes into the dog house for a few weeks with Boudreau?  Then what?  He bails on the team again?

The NYR can keep Kravtsov and he will likely stay in Russia.  So of course they want to unload him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Definitely.  NYR tried to move Kravtsov and had no takers.  So why would he add value to a package here?  It's a huge risk acquiring a player like Kravtsov.  What if he goes into the dog house for a few weeks with Boudreau?  Then what?  He bails on the team again?

The NYR can keep Kravtsov and he will likely stay in Russia.  So of course they want to unload him.

Friedman in his 32 Thoughts:

19. There are teams doing their due diligence on Vitali Kravtsov, making sure the forward will return to the NHL next season. The answer is yes.

15 minutes ago, mll said:

19. There are teams doing their due diligence on Vitali Kravtsov, making sure the forward will return to the NHL next season. The answer is yes.

I guess we'll see... I think most of us are cautious because of what transpired with Tryamkin.

Motte is a great player and teammate, but once these guys come due, we can't pay them all.  If Motte comes in at $2-2.5M (As a bottom six) player, but we have the chance to convert him to Kravtsov who is a potential top 6 on an ELC I think you do that 10 of of 10 times.  If we also have the ability to convert Dickinson, Dipietro and a 2nd for Zacha because of his depressed value you do it too.  

Ultimately to be successful, we need to buy some high potential players at low current value, and sell some team favorite guys where they have exceeded expectations.

If you combined those deals into one you would get Kravtsov and Zacha for Motte, Dickinson, DiPietro and a 2nd.  If those are in the realm of possibility you do it and move on.

On 2/14/2022 at 10:39 PM, Coconuts said:

Lockwood to me is the perfect Motte replacement and he fights too!

10 hours ago, mll said:

I would trade Motte for a flyer on Kravtsov. If he can come over it gives Podz a Russian buddy here if nothing else.

• Cheers 1