The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Motte drawing interest

1 minute ago, combover said:

Best bottom six group this team has had. 
That third line was incredible. 
Glass was the week link he should have been replaced with more of a fighter/goon. 

Only Hansen was “inherited.” Huh. 

Meh Glass was far from a problem.

I would argue Raymond needed to be replaced with a big body power forward.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Meh Glass was far from a problem.

I would argue Raymond needed to be replaced with a big body power forward.

Just going with bottom six 

raymond speed really drove  the d back in the playoffs he was never the same after that injury. I didn’t mind what he brought pre broken back. 
more size wouldn’t have hurt. 

loved the way those guys played torres lappy malhotra Hansen Higgins gave 100% every night hard on pucks and the speed they forechecked. Just awesome. 

torres destroying seabrook (I believe) behind the net.

that’s the difference guys like highmore hit but have zero effect on the play nobody really cares when he’s on the ice  

motte hits hard guys know he’s coming.

when Torres went on the ice every player knew. 

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Provost said:

he isn’t getting you a 2nd round pick as a rental…

Coleman went for a 1st and a 1st round prospect. He is a better player than Motte but not that much better. A high 2nd is definitely not far fetched.

• Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Screw said:

If the Canucks could land Kravtsov and K’Andre…

They have a ton of young prospects and players.  We can even afford to take some money back if they need to move some to even out the deal.

Schneider, K’Andre, Kravtsov, their 1st round pick, Robertson, Chytil, etc.  Any 2-3 pieces make an enticing package for us.

We can fill any other holes they might have that are useful for their immediate needs.  Poolman, Hamonic, Schenn, Motte, Pearson, etc

The Rangers are an excellent trade partner because they are good enough now to want to make a push and also have such a deep prospect pool that losing a couple pieces doesn’t hurt them much in the longer term. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

They have a ton of young prospects and players.  We can even afford to take some money back if they need to move some to even out the deal.

Schneider, K’Andre, Kravtsov, their 1st round pick, Robertson, Chytil, etc.  Any 2-3 pieces make an enticing package for us.

We can fill any other holes they might have that are useful for their immediate needs.  Poolman, Hamonic, Schenn, Motte, Pearson, etc

The Rangers are an excellent trade partner because they are good enough now to want to make a push and also have such a deep prospect pool that losing a couple pieces doesn’t hurt them much in the longer term. 

They should trade us the 1994 cup.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

Coleman went for a 1st and a 1st round prospect. He is a better player than Motte but not that much better. A high 2nd is definitely not far fetched.

You are simply insane and utterly wrong.

Coleman going into getting traded had 21 goals and 31 points in 57 games before the deadline and had softer more than 20 goals the year before.

Mottes career high is 9 goals and 16 points.

There is a vast gulf in how good those players are and have zero comparable value.  

13 hours ago, IBatch said:

This is a misconception.   Every line BB is on, his teammates produce more and he's one of the better forwards in the entire league along the boards.   Last year he was 13th best in the league for forwards.    And Horvat or EP or Miller or whomever...his passing is underrated, he's a great passer (and doesn't make Miller passes - why the heck Miller passes across the slot is just maddening) ... he's not one dimensional, that would be his first season and that's it.   Now he hustles back, is often the last guy on the ice and can say in the playoffs he outperformed both Pearson and TT without the puck (those wily vets we expected a lot from)....Yes he had a slow start, last year he was our best forward and probably best player too.   Don't agree with this one dimensional parroting i've seen on here.

That said i also don't think he's done enough to warrant a 7.5 deal either.... but  who would be get instead as a UFA to fill that role?  Hertl?   And what does our right side look like without him... Since Bruce he's woken up a bit.   To me 7.5 for a winger needs to be consistent ... and scoring more then he's managed this year for sure.   Doesn't cost 7.5 for a 23/23 46 point player that gets those sort of minutes - does it.

Also missed 6 games.   Covid this time lol ... but still...when are we going to see what this guy can do over say 100 games a year?  Can his body take it?  At this point, i'd much prefer to invest that 7.5 in Miller's next deal - but have to weigh the trade value of both these guys as well...which makes it really tough to pin down.    Can say, we can't afford 7.5 for BB and 8.5 for Miller, and raises for Hogs, Motte, Podz, and a better defense in the future.  Brock would be a higher risk reward for us then Miller probably, we'd get him for his entire prime.   And he's part of the young core, well liked etc.   Tough call.    

I think we're saying very similar things.  We all probably want Brock on the team and he's a good player, but not at the money that it would take.  He's just doesn't excel at enough things to warrant the price tag.  Guys making $7M/yr or more should be at an all-star level in my books.  Brock isn't there right now.

4 hours ago, Provost said:

On Donnie and Dhali they were mentioning it would take a Dickenson type contract to re-sign Motte.

That is a pretty big ticket and you had better believe he is going to be able to play higher in the lineup to commit that to him.

On the other side, he kills penalties, is really fast on a slow team, and has a non stop motor.  All things the Canucks need to replace if they trade him, and probably at the same cost or more.

To me it is the Stecher scenario again… are there better options at the price?  I am not sure.  I think the trade return is pretty irrelevant as a consideration, he isn’t getting you a 2nd round pick as a rental… just a lottery ticket that isn’t as likely to be as good as him sometime down the road.

They should offer him a really solid deal, up to like $2million x 3 year term.  If he doesn’t sign that by the deadline, it is a good indication he will cost too much and try to trade him for an already drafted decent prospect who is nearer to the NHL than a mid round draft pick will be.  He could also he added in a trade with a larger piece like Miller.

Like the Rangers who are reportedly really interested in Miller could easily want Schenn and Motte as well.

My gut says Rutherford re-signs Motte to a longer (Brandon Tanev) type contract, and one of the larger contracts will be sent packing. 

16 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I think we're saying very similar things.  We all probably want Brock on the team and he's a good player, but not at the money that it would take.  He's just doesn't excel at enough things to warrant the price tag.  Guys making $7M/yr or more should be at an all-star level in my books.  Brock isn't there right now.

IMO, we re-upp BB for something like $6.5x6.

5 hours ago, combover said:

Just going with bottom six 

raymond speed really drove  the d back in the playoffs he was never the same after that injury. I didn’t mind what he brought pre broken back. 
more size wouldn’t have hurt. 

loved the way those guys played torres lappy malhotra Hansen Higgins gave 100% every night hard on pucks and the speed they forechecked. Just awesome. 

torres destroying seabrook (I believe) behind the net.

that’s the difference guys like highmore hit but have zero effect on the play nobody really cares when he’s on the ice  

motte hits hard guys know he’s coming.

when Torres went on the ice every player knew. 

Torres could be a bit of a loose cannon but the way the NHL basically ran him out of the league was gross

They hammered him so hard, there's rarely been a suspension that long

And here we are almost a decade later still having dirty hits and concussion conversations 

Edited by Coconuts

Don't we lack grit, hitting, hardworking, playing with high energy every shift, and toughness? If so, why would we even think of trading Motte. We need more players like him playing that way and to build on. Not trading him away for a weak feather players which we have lots on our team. Certain players not playing to their potentials are the ones we should start looking to trade for. 

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Don't we lack grit, hitting, hardworking, playing with high energy every shift, and toughness? If so, why would we even think of trading Motte. We need more players like him playing that way and to build on. Not trading him away for a weak feather players which we have lots on our team. Certain players not playing to their potentials are the ones we should start looking to trade for. 

If he doesn't want to re-sign for reasonable terms and is a pending UFA?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3

4 hours ago, Provost said:

You are simply insane and utterly wrong.

Coleman going into getting traded had 21 goals and 31 points in 57 games before the deadline and had softer more than 20 goals the year before.

Mottes career high is 9 goals and 16 points.

There is a vast gulf in how good those players are and have zero comparable value.  

You do realize that a 1st round pick has pretty much double the value of a 2nd don't you? What about 2 1st round picks? I'll give you a hint... the value doesn't go down.

If you believe otherwise you sir are the one who is "completely insane and utterly wrong".

Motte has been hands down one of my favourite Canucks for the past few years now. But if the playoffs are looking out of reach by this time next month, and if contract extensions aren’t looking solid either, then let’s definitely maximize this asset while he’s healthy.

I think we could fetch a solid return for him. Every GM knows that playoffs are gritty hockey, and I think a guy like Motte will be highly coveted for any team looking to make a run. 

I could see him landing us either a B+ prospect or a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I honestly would be upset if we got anything less than a 3rd round for him. 

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, RolexSub said:

I’m torn on this. If you could get a high second for Motte, that would be a fantastic trade. But with any draft pick, there’s a chance that they don’t work out. And Rutherford’s drafting doesn’t really strike me as confident. How many of his picks panned out in Pitts? What about Carolina? 

I love Motte. He’s one of our best, if not the best bottom six player that is tenacious, hardworking every shift, has grit, hits like a truck, and adds toughness. If those qualities like you’ve listed, are things that we need, then why would we trade a player that has all those qualities away?

9 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Likely a 3rd rounder but I’d only deal him if somebody gave up a 2nd rounder. If nobody is willing to then work on a 3-4 year extension. Should move him up in the lineup if they think they want to trade him. Pad his stats because he can hang with skilled players like a Hansen type.

I see Motte as a Hansen type player as well. He’s so versatile. 

If we could get a second for him, though, I think you’d have to deal the guy. Seems like a good deal for the Canucks if you can get that in return, plus a prospect. 

I’d prefer that we keep Motte, because he adds so much to the team (a lot of intangibles that don’t show up in the stats sheet). 

But I’d understand if management dealt him.