The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Motte drawing interest

27 minutes ago, hammertime said:

If I'm honest the offer would have to be Boeser good. In his own way he brings roughly as much to the table for a fraction the price. I get that teams need goal scorers to win but 13 Tyler Mottes beat 13 Boeser's and it's not even close.  

I’d disagree with that last statement. But I do get your point.

Edited by Odd.

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Are you confident you've seen enough from him under Bruce to think he's a key piece? He wasn't very good under Green, I think he's been better under Boudreau but I haven't exactly been focusing on him.

I ask (in earnest) because he would be a clear target to move with his cap hit.

He was far better on the wing, but has hands of stone... 

He is a decent player, but will be forgotten quickly if replaced.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I would hate to see Motte gone but if we are out of the playoff picture I'm not against it.

If we trade Miller I hope we get a Miller in return...:unsure: 

He's a rare gem. 

Will be hard... it was a fantastic trade by King Benning..................:bigblush:

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

Vancouver will have 10 million to spend this summer and 8 forwards - 7 D men and 1 goalie under contract..

Boeser - 6 X 7.8

So 2 million to spend on 3 forwards and 1 backup goalie...

We will need to free up cap space?

Lockwood will step in for Motte..

I still think JR will trade one of the top 5 forwards..

Boeser or Miller -- Get 1st rounder, young top prospect under 25 D man making less then 4 million and 4th rounder...

A bit more - somewhere between 13.1M and 13.6M with 8Fs + 7Ds + 1G under contract.  

Guessing that 10M number comes from CapFriendly.  Ferland, Keeper and Hamonic are on LTIR but they aren't accounted as such for next season - they are treated as IR cap hits.  Dowling is also accounted for as non-roster.

Dowling and Keeper probably don't make the team and combine for 1.5M so that space would cover Halak's potential 1.5M bonus.   Still need to find some cap to cover for the bonuses for Podkolzin/Höglander but they are unlikely to reach their full targets.  Don't really see them getting much more than 200-300K.

Ferland will go on LTIR which gives about 3.5M in additional space (was 3.2M this season because they couldn't maximise the relief).  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

depends if they want to win one morewith this core I guess.  Miller goes a long way to getting them there

I wouldn't say no to Chytll and Schneider + for Miller......depending on what the + was I guess

This is the big call JR has to make now... Do we make Miller the future (he should bring in a lot) or do we roll with what we got...

We have big decisions to make, and both Miller and Motte can pack their bags and ride into the sunset, once their deals expire...

I am sure Motte will be looking for a decent pay rise, which I think he has earned.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

So I understand moving Motte, BUT what if he can play higher in the line up?  Im not saying he’s a 35 goal scorer like Burrows, but if you lock him up on a 4 year deal around 2 million, I think Id take him on a 3rd line/2nd line role over Dickinson. He’s one of the team’s best PKrs,l and doesnt give an inch.  Still young and will be playing in his prime.  Id think long and hard before moving him. 

Think we all want him in our team Goose, 

Big question is if we can afford it or does he want to make big bucks... I would also take him over Dickinson every day of the week and twice on Sundays, but Dickinson will not return much compared to Motte, and again are we sure he wants to stay?

He is my favourite player, when in the line up, so....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

To lazy to look through the thread. A reminder that JB picked up Motte for an expiring Vanek. So many were disappointed in no pick in exchange for Vanek, who no team really wanted. Hmmm, well done JB, well done.

Shout out to @aGENT, who was one of the few dancing for joy, when Benning acquired him...

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Think we all want him in our team Goose, 

Big question is if we can afford it or does he want to make big bucks... I would also take him over Dickinson every day of the week and twice on Sundays, but Dickinson will not return much compared to Motte, and again are we sure he wants to stay?

He is my favourite player, when in the line up, so....

It’s a fairly simple formula 

(1) Is motte worth a 3-4 year contract? yes/no

(2) Can you get a reasonable extension done before the TDL? yes/no

Other factors like another team offering up a deal you cant refuse would obviously matter. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Other factors like another team offering up a deal you cant refuse would obviously matter. 

Cheers Goose.

1 yes

2. Big ?

3. Yes of course... and that is the big draw :),

The report was, there's a lot of interest in Motte. If it is Motte for scraps or late picks, it totally depends on (2), but everyone has a price.... I think.

PS. I suck at these things, so what do I know ::D

Edited by spook007
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

We also have to define “reasonable”.  You get into trouble giving 4th liners term and money because you need that money for your stars.  If we haven’t learned that from the Benning era, I don’t know what more evidence you need.

Motte is probably worth up to $2 million max, and probably a two year term… maybe 3.

If it is beyond that, then the job of Rutherford and the new GM is to find the “new” Motte.  Maybe it is a free agent signing, maybe Lockwood… who knows.

I mentioned previously, when you hear NHLers talk… free agency is only fun for a few higher end players.  The rest it is stressful if they will get an offer, where they have to move their families, what the fit will be, etc.  One would think Motte falls into that category and if you offer a $1.75 million x 2 year contract he signs it for the job security.

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well you were not alone on that one though.... :)

Come to think of it King Benning did do some good things after all....

Alone? No. But it was slim pickings around here with a LOT of people fretting about 'wasting' a first rounder on a '3rd liner'.

Now they don't want to trade him for a small fortune of assets :lol:

• Cheers 3