The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Motte drawing interest

18 minutes ago, Devron said:

I would try for an extension. Very good chance a third or 4th doesn’t become an NHL regular 

For sure. But what is the limit? 2.5 is too much imho. He may even get more than that on the market. 2.2 for three years seems about right.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, rekker said:

For sure. But what is the limit? 2.5 is too much imho. He may even get more than that on the market. 2.2 for three years seems about right.

With his injury history I don't think he makes it 3 more years. His shelf life reminds me of dorsett

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

We found out pretty quick this year how important bottom six players are. You don’t win without them case in point out PK. You’re right though the key is to not overpay on them. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, brian42 said:

He has less value then, than he does now. QO is brutal, he’s value is as a UFA and acquiring team having a shot a a long term deal under 7.5M

Correct because he is a RFA he is harder to move that is why we saw Jake Debrusk sign a deal today so that other teams know what they have regarding cap. Best thing we can hope for his Brock signs a deal before July then we can either keep him or trade him once a contract is in place 

3 minutes ago, brian42 said:

He has less value then, than he does now. QO is brutal, he’s value is as a UFA and acquiring team having a shot a a long term deal under 7.5M

The Canucks need to work out a contract that reflects his game (which is less than the QO).  This will

be done during the offseason.  At that point, they may or may not decide to trade him. 

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If they extend Motte for like $2M x 4, I'd be happy with that and the fact the Motto line stays together.  $2.5M is max for me... the closer to $2M the better.

He's a 4th liner, not worth 2m a year. 1.5 is absolute max, and I don't even really want to go for that.

Lots of players can do what Motte does for less than 2m. If we do that, then we'll just be continuing on with what Benning was doing, term and $$$ for 3rd and 4th liners leaving nothing for defense and top 6.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If they extend Motte for like $2M x 4, I'd be happy with that and the fact the Motto line stays together.  $2.5M is max for me... the closer to $2M the better.

So you're saying that's your Motto Max

Csi Miami Sunglasses GIF

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The Canucks need to work out a contract that reflects his game (which is less than the QO).  This will

be done during the offseason.  At that point, they may or may not decide to trade him. 

But then he has way less trade value at that time, he’s not gonna sign a team friendly deal when he can make 7.5M for 1 year and then sign a deal after that season 

20 minutes ago, Devron said:

Correct because he is a RFA he is harder to move that is why we saw Jake Debrusk sign a deal today so that other teams know what they have regarding cap. Best thing we can hope for his Brock signs a deal before July then we can either keep him or trade him once a contract is in place 

Best thing we trade him basically as a UFA rental. Better to save the cap space for a player which competes hard, and get the assets back. 

Edited by brian42

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I agree with you...I would be okay with something like 4 - 5 years at 2.25.

Motte makes us harder to play against, but the problem is, his style of play usually means a drop off at a younger age.

He just turned 27, so if we signed him 5 years, 2.25 per with no trade protection, that would take him to 32 and I think to where he will really start to decline.

3 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

He's a 4th liner, not worth 2m a year. 1.5 is absolute max, and I don't even really want to go for that.

Lots of players can do what Motte does for less than 2m. If we do that, then we'll just be continuing on with what Benning was doing, term and $$$ for 3rd and 4th liners leaving nothing for defense and top 6.

The biggest difference that I want to point out is that this time, we KNOW there is chemistry and that Motte works really well with Highmore and Lamikko.  GMJB brought in guys from the outside hoping they'd have the chemistry that the Motto line has.  That's a big difference.  Investing in something you know works is important.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I agree with you...I would be okay with something like 4 - 5 years at 2.25.

Motte makes us harder to play against, but the problem is, his style of play usually means a drop off at a younger age.

He just turned 27, so if we signed him 5 years, 2.25 per with no trade protection, that would take him to 32 and I think to where he will really start to decline.

5 years is a tad longer than I'd want to do.  4 years means that 3 years takes him to 30yo, and then he could be unloaded in his final year if he's starting to decline.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Best thing we trade he basically as a UFA rental. Better to save the cap space for a player which competes hard, and get the assets back. 

For sure I’m just saying what’s realistic