The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Jan. 18, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, gottalovethosenucks said:

Like I said earlier….. beagle and sutter running our short man units was a thing a lot of people took for granted lol…. One of them was always out there , winning draws , being the pk warriors that took us so far in the bubble….. if sutter ever returns I believe our pk improves… I also think players like podzilla and lammy can learn a ton defensively from him…. Also the return of Brando can relieve ep40 of his pk duties… I respect him for wanting the responsibility and actually doing a good job of it…… but when the games get tougher down the stretch I’d rather have our most skilled player focused on offence, and not taking unneeded stingers blocking shots while playing dzone minutes we don’t really need him to log

I'm a big big fan of Sutter. Injuries soured him for many but his stats were very good and the team had a far better record with him.

I really hope he comes back. Beagle same thing, did the guy ever take am offensive draw lol? His analytics might not have looked great but in the context of his usage and compared to a guy like Horvat who really struggled in similar usages, it was never gonna look pretty.

It's like guys who play the hard minutes get caved but you put a guy who benefits from the easier minutes said caved guy gets and switch them and suddenly caved guy looks like the not caved guy, if that beautiful metaphor makes sense? Lol.

We saw it with our team when beags and Sutter were hurt and Horvat until this year would get even more caved than those two.

I mean Gaudette with Sutter was a decent player, without him he is a guy that will be lucky to not be playing in Europe in the near future.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, gottalovethosenucks said:

I can’t be on our slackers like heffy was bodybagging Travis green every night lol… winning is fun but our power play is still a concern 

I'll take a 1/4 PP (not counting 5th PP as we were just playing keep away)

I however cant take a 1/2 PK.

PK has been back to horrible lately

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, khay said:

If Boudreau breaks that line, that would be the first stupid thing he does as the coach of the Canucks.

He's a smart coach. He will keep that line together.

I liked the line in the o zone but felt they were running around a lot in the d zone.

That shift in the offensive zone today was unreal.  Reminded me of the Sedins but faster skating.

I understand BB's comments regarding Hogz needing to play better in his own zone.  It's the weirdest thing.  He's like a dog on a bone when trying to retrieve the puck on offense and usually comes out with it somehow.

In the d zone though, he doesnt quite have the same tenacity and doesn't win the same amount of battles he does on offense.  

Podz on the other hand (probably because he's bigger) uses his body and positioning to win posession or at the very least get the puck out. He's still young so he doesnt win every battle or gets it out every time but definitely more than Hogz.

I feel like in tight games when defending a lead, BB may break up that line and put a veteran presence on it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

The #1 gripe I had against TG was his constant blendering of lines. Literally would give lines a half a period before giving up.

Bruce has shown the patience to let lines develop and also isn't afraid to try new combos and giving them an actual audition.

TG would just go back to the same tired lines no matter how obvious it was they didn't work.

And while Bruce is tough and demands effort, he does it in a way that a young player like Hogs and Petey both took it positively and both responded well and were rewarded for it, to me that's huge.

When Petey was struggling TG gives him 13 minutes with guys that made no sense and you can see the dejection in their body language.

Bruce might cut minutes but still plays them to their strengths while going out of his way to praise them when they do well.

Honest to God I think TG was damaging Petey to the point where things could have gone worst case scenario type situation. 

I was gonna pile on but will lay off and enjoy the return of Petey our Prodigal Son tonight!

• Cheers 2

Just caught the last 15 mins..GREAT Win!

Gotta emphasize again, JB set us up with pretty nice fwd depth this season. Bo & Garland out, then names like Bailey, Lockwood, Petan, etc...could be subbed, if necessary. Should we ever get fully healthy(touch wood), be interesting to see what they do(trade, waivers?)

It's the perfect season to have ample, cheap depth.

Another great game by Demko... big part of this win.

Also another significant contribution by Pettersson... once again he started the comeback.  And his line was buzzing all night... they set the pace and started a period of Canuck dominance which the other lines followed.  He just missed a second goal with one off the post... he is starting to get his range and confidence back... starting to become a threat the other team's cannot ignore.

The PP had a ton of chances... even though they only scored one goal, they could have had more... overall I think they performed well.

Another good game by the '4th' line... although a couple times they were on the ropes when the Preds put their #1 line out against them... but they pulled it out in the 3rd with Lamikko's goal.

Burroughs showed his grit again... he is a good ole Canadian boy who won't back down.  If he can work on his defensive judgement a little more he'll be a solid 3rd pair guy for a long time.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

I get that the refs might not blow the play dead if Nashville knocks the net off and the Canucks go down the ice and score, but...

First of all, Demko is the one who knocked the net off about a minute earlier, Nashville did have possession for a brief time later, and the puck went up and down the ice more than once and nobody put the net back in place.

This seemed totally bizarre to me.