The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Jan. 18, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

They should be out of it, but teams in the Pacific are so inconsistent, if any division is going to facilitate a basement-dweller climbing the standings, its this one. 

True, but when you look at winning percentage, they're still only 4 from the bottom.  I still feel they're going to finish hard though

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I didn't like the term pissy. It felt a little like 'why are you such a Karen?' . It was insulting, like name calling. 

It would get me heated too. 

Someone I dont like calls me pissy to my face and I would consider breaking their nose. 

Some athletes arent great in pressers and I dont think they have to be. I know they have obligations  but I watch them to see the on ice product. 

I would have liked LD to answer differently though in that circumstance....like ' Why are you pissy to me?' ...." Oh, I dont like you or your questions...now, do you have a question about hockey?"

Don't get me wrong, LD is one of my favourite players, but part of his job is to be the spokesman for his team and I didn't see any reason for his attitude to the original question.  In my opinion he did get oussy with him.......it was a very immature interaction on LD's part.  He's got a lot of media experience, he should know better, imo

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I didn't like the term pissy. It felt a little like 'why are you such a Karen?' . It was insulting, like name calling. 

It would get me heated too. 

Someone I dont like calls me pissy to my face and I would consider breaking their nose. 

Some athletes arent great in pressers and I dont think they have to be. I know they have obligations  but I watch them to see the on ice product. 

I would have liked LD to answer differently though in that circumstance....like ' Why are you pissy to me?' ...." Oh, I dont like you or your questions...now, do you have a question about hockey?"

LD gave a generic "We have to be better at everything...". Matheson didn't like the generic answer. I don't think you should have a sports reporter complaining about his attitude. 

The person who was moderating should have, gone to another reporter right afterwords. What was the reporter expecting? A detailed break down of why they are losing? 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Don't get me wrong, LD is one of my favourite players, but part of his job is to be the spokesman for his team and I didn't see any reason for his attitude to the original question.  In my opinion he did get oussy with him.......it was a very immature interaction on LD's part.  He's got a lot of media experience, he should know better, imo

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

entitled reporter meets entitled player. Hijinks ensue. 

I think you're right Jim.

Both looked bad there. I do think I will usually side with the player as I don't really care to hear them talk. I'm like that with celebs and actors etc too....just want to watch the characters in the movie, dont care about the life and thoughts of who is portraying them. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

LD gave a generic "We have to be better at everything...".

I mean he's not wrong. They suck in most areas. 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Matheson didn't like the generic answer. I don't think you should have a sports reporter complaining about his attitude. 

The person who was moderating should have, gone to another reporter right afterwords. What was the reporter expecting? A detailed break down of why they are losing? 

I think it was the little laugh he did before he answered that got under the skin of the reporter, more than the actual answer. 

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I wonder if all Swedes lie continually and think friendships are the most important factor in hockey. Psychology = hockey = best friends = goals in Sweden.

Seriously? I guess players like Forsberg, and Lidstrom just went through the motions in hockey? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I think you're right Jim.

Both looked bad there. I do think I will usually side with the player as I don't really care to hear them talk. I'm like that with celebs and actors etc too....just want to watch the characters in the movie, dont care about the life and thoughts of who is portraying them. 

the reporter was unprofessional there, for sure. 

But Leon can't take that kind of money and not be accountable either. He doesn't need to throw his team under the bus to answer the question, he could talk about himself needing to do more but we all know that team is built around two guys and just two guys so thats not going to happen either. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

the reporter was unprofessional there, for sure. 

But Leon can't take that kind of money and not be accountable either. He doesn't need to throw his team under the bus to answer the question, he could talk about himself needing to do more but we all know that team is built around two guys and just two guys so thats not going to happen either. 

I wouldnt mind if he said

'I'm just here so i don't get fined'

I know he gets paid a lot and has media experience. Just always have supported any athletes desire to shut up and play 

Because ultimately 'playing' is why he gets paid so much...not 'talking'

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

LD gave a generic "We have to be better at everything...". Matheson didn't like the generic answer. I don't think you should have a sports reporter complaining about his attitude. 

the reporter was hoping that LD would throw some part of the team under the bus.... ie; the goaltending sucks. a REAL leader would never do that. 

He should have blamed the press for how the team was playing, throw it back in JM's face. 

Also should have said, pissy? I'm not pissy, I'm ticked off that you want me to throw the blame on one particular person. 

I said that we have to improve everything...what part of that do you not understand?

• Cheers 4

35 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That's just it. 

The moment he called LD Pissy, all structure of professionalism was lost. A team is going through a pretty rough steak, player is frustrated and gave a crappy interview. 

If I'm the reporter, I'd take the high road rather than doubling down and escalating the situation. That followed by commenting on Leon acting frustrated against Sens  took it to another level. 

Jim needs a vacation. 

• Cheers 4

Nice effort by the boys. I want Burroughs as a regular. His mistakes in the d-zone will only go away with experience. Poolman is still an adventure some shifts. 

Podz-Petey-Hogs in the 2nd we’re more than exciting. I can see BB’s concern over Hogs d-side game as he turned the puck a couple of times. Dickenson-Lammy-Highmore were also very solid. Maybe the goal was lucky but their o-zone play was fast and physical which is very needed. The goal was earned the hard way. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Once again Poolman played a very solid defensive game last night. The team is so much better back there with Burroughs in the lineup, and the limited minutes he plays. Is this Shaws' influence on the D? This team went through a gauntlet of 5 of the best teams in the NHL, and earlier I said I'd be giddy with 5 points. They got 4 and I'm happy. They only have to stay out of Covid protocol if that's possible.

I don't understand how Burroughs hasn't stuck in the lineup yet. Hunt has been awful whereas Burroughs shows great hockey sense and even fights. I feel he needs to work on his pinches more (maybe just don't do it), but other than that I've been impressed with him and see loads of potential. Same with Poolmam; he just needs to play as a shutdown D and refrain from thinking he's an offensive dman. I know we need more points from our D, but less goals against always helps too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Report fishing.... hoping somebody gets thrown under the bus... Player just snapped. Wonder if there is some past exchange, poor reporting that the player still remembers?