The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Jan. 18, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

True, but when you look at winning percentage, they're still only 4 from the bottom.  I still feel they're going to finish hard though

That's so crazy that winning percentage is still so bad despite our amazing play after the coaching change. Shows how bad we were before. 

Hopefully the boys keep going and we somehow grab a playoff spot. 

I think 94 pts should do it. We are lucky to be in the weak Pacific division with Vegas being the only locks. That leaves 2 spots there as well as one wild card available as the other wild card will be taken by a team like Minni.

Cgy is probably the next closest thing to a lock. 

That means we need approx 55 pts in 43 games. That's like a 27-15-1

Pretty daunting for sure. 

I think Nucks are 10-3-1 under BB and we just went through 3 of the the 4 teams in the league. 

If we somehow replicated that streak for the next 14 games, we would still need to go 17-12

We literally cant take a night off. 

Only way this gets easier is if the teams in the Pacific continue to slide and we need like 90 pts as opposed to 94

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

That's so crazy that winning percentage is still so bad despite our amazing play after the coaching change. Shows how bad we were before. 

Hopefully the boys keep going and we somehow grab a playoff spot. 

I think 94 pts should do it. We are lucky to be in the weak Pacific division with Vegas being the only locks. That leaves 2 spots there as well as one wild card available as the other wild card will be taken by a team like Minni.

Cgy is probably the next closest thing to a lock. 

That means we need approx 55 pts in 43 games. That's like a 27-15-1

Pretty daunting for sure. 

I think Nucks are 10-3-1 under BB and we just went through 3 of the the 4 teams in the league. 

If we somehow replicated that streak for the next 14 games, we would still need to go 17-12

We literally cant take a night off. 

Only way this gets easier is if the teams in the Pacific continue to slide and we need like 90 pts as opposed to 94

I firmly believe the opportunity will be there to make it at the end of the year. It's up to the team to keep piling up wins.

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Haha, Borje was awesome. One of my favorites growing up. I just like questioning that timraguy. There is one mixed up hockey fan.

Timrafan is ok once you muddle through his SwEnglish; his points are often confusing to us Unilinguals.

Because of GD Quebec, I took 6 years of Francais in school and still can't understand a word of it.

(Except Burr's, Da Turd.)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Wasn't this our biggest weakness? Can't defend at evens? Get caved in? Exc.?

Adjusting for GP we are likely best in the league in this stat. Pretty incredible.

They are 28th in 5v5 goals for with 61 over the season.  

Slight improvement under Boudreau where they are 25th in goals for per game at 5v5 since he took over (from 5 Dec to today).  There's a reason Boudreau says a puck mover is at the top of his wish list and highlights how the best teams get production out of their Ds where they are good at both ends of the ice.

There's also the Demko impact.  Over the year 2021 he has saved Vancouver 40 goals above expected per CSA - that's about 2 goals every 3 games or 0.66 per game.  Put an average goalie in net and those goals against numbers would probably not be as impressive.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, mll said:

They are 28th in 5v5 goals for with 61 over the season.  

Slight improvement under Boudreau where they are 25th in goals for per game at 5v5 since he took over (from 5 Dec to today).  There's a reason Boudreau says a puck mover is at the top of his wish list and highlights how the best teams get production out of their Ds where they are good at both ends of the ice.

There's also the Demko impact.  Over the year 2021 he has saved Vancouver 40 goals above expected per CSA - that's about 2 goals every 3 games or 0.66 per game.  Put an average goalie in net and those goals against numbers would probably not be as impressive.

You are very good mll; thanks for all your great input.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This reminds me of the Player Name stat where the Canucks had an impressive win stat if Player Name scored.

Beyond the obvious coaching issue, this was the biggest reason for the team's poor record the first half of the season. Like it or not, guys like EP sand Hughes are driving the bus now. If one of them decides to pull over for a road pop behind it, the bus is &^@#ed.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Beyond the obvious coaching issue, this was the biggest reason for the team's poor record the first half of the season. Like it or not, guys like EP sand Hughes are driving the bus now. If one of them decides to pull over for a road pop behind it, the bus is &^@#ed.

Exactly why I’m optimistic about this team. We are now .500 with Petey struggling most of the year. We had Petey going from the beginning the standings might look a lot different. I’m thinking it worked out though because it was clear to me we weren’t going anywhere with Travis behind the bench. I still don’t think he’s a bad guy he just lost the room probably after the bubble. Needed a new voice especially that terrible covid year

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

entitled reporter meets entitled player. Hijinks ensue. 

Exactly. LD has done this before. He gets into a little pout and doesn't make eye contact with anyone, just looks down and gives answers that are entirely unhelpful except to express that he has no desire to be there. Being there is his job. He is fine to not like that part of his job. He is not fine to fail to do it. Combination of elite athlete and media personalities makes for headlines. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I wonder if all Swedes lie continually and think friendships are the most important factor in hockey. Psychology = hockey = best friends = goals in Sweden.

No. There are a couple that are good people on the board and only one Timrafan

• Like 1

Last night they really outworked the Preds who got a bit unlucky with a couple posts but really they didnt seem too dangerous trading chances with us.

Our D was ok last night. Hughes had a major blunder at the blue line that led to a breakaway. Thats gotta get cleaned up he does that way too much.

Myers didnt look as bad as he has on a couple games this trip

OEL skated better

Burroughs is exactly the kind of 5-6 we need. Not afraid to back his team mates up, definitely an upgrade on Hunt. He will learn to pick his spots a bit better as he gets more experience

Schenn is a vet and he played a very good game last night. Unsung hero maybe this year

Poolman played well also

Demko was solid again. I cant believe we had three games this trip where people were slagging his play. The difference tonight was we matched them on the power play with a goal, and we got three goals.Its crazy how people expect Demko to shut out the other team every night. He gives us a good chance of winning every game he starts. Thats all i want from a goaltender, i dont care what his save percentage is. Nobody asked Grant Fuhr for his Stanley Cup rings back because he let in 5 goals when his team scored 6 or 7.

Petey looks like he is getting his mojo back although i do wonder with the shaking of the arm last night if he has had trouble with the wrist injury. He hasnt looked himself and that would explain a lot.

Brock has had a little heat here lately but that was an elite tip in front of the net on the Power play.

Hopefully Bo and Garland dont get hit too hard with the Omicron.

The third/fourth line is playing well. They can be difference makers if they keep that up. and not at the salary cap numbers we had three seasons ago.

For those saying we are still too far back, we have a lot of Home games to make up. Less travel through the second half of the season and the team is starting to gel if we go another stretch that is 10-4-1 in the next 15 games we will not only be back in the mix but should have other teams chasing us.

Edited by mikeyman109

28 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Exactly. LD has done this before. He gets into a little pout and doesn't make eye contact with anyone, just looks down and gives answers that are entirely unhelpful except to express that he has no desire to be there. Being there is his job. He is fine to not like that part of his job. He is not fine to fail to do it. Combination of elite athlete and media personalities makes for headlines. 

reminded me of a Euro soccer baby 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm happy they played well on this road trip, but I still think they're pretty much out of it at this point.  

The math is challenging especially since somehow we have played more games than most. 
Still hold out hope because one thing we know with Bruce coaching is we won’t be in the Wright lottery unless JR guts the team or an injury to Demko (it hurtto even type that).

‘The implosions of Calgary and Edmonton are helpful but still a lot of teams to pass who have better records and games in hand.