The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Manager discussion.

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

I believe Rutherford's intentions are to hire a new GM (Allvin) who he will mentor.  This definitely requires a "yes man", which explains why JR isn't hiring an experienced, independent free thinker to manage the team. Nope, JR will actually be running the show, and the GM and A/GMs will learn under him.  This is awesome. 

JR has been there, done that. I'm glad he's hiring open-minded, eager, smart individuals who want to make this team a Stanley Cup winner. Everyone will be on the same page with the same goal. I'm wondering how some will react when Doerrie claims that Lammikko is the best analytics player on the team lol

More excited now for the future than ever with the Canucks, I believe playoffs are still possible, and the Draft is going to be fun, finally having a 1st round pick again.  

33 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I believe Rutherford's intentions are to hire a new GM (Allvin) who he will mentor.  This definitely requires a "yes man", which explains why JR isn't hiring an experienced, independent free thinker to manage the team. Nope, JR will actually be running the show, and the GM and A/GMs will learn under him.  This is awesome. 

JR has been there, done that. I'm glad he's hiring open-minded, eager, smart individuals who want to make this team a Stanley Cup winner. Everyone will be on the same page with the same goal. I'm wondering how some will react when Doerrie claims that Lammikko is the best analytics player on the team lol

More excited now for the future than ever with the Canucks, I believe playoffs are still possible, and the Draft is going to be fun, finally having a 1st round pick again.  

I agree, I’m also wondering about Futa as he is far from green and might not require as much mentorship. Out of the candidates listed he peaks my interest the most as he has been labeled the next “one” in the GM circles for some time.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Depending on the trade deadline, too, we might have 1-2 more 1sts. Would be a first in a long time that we'd have multiple first round picks. Would be fun too. Weird thing is that I'm equally as excited about the building of the front office, and the executive staff as I am with the roster as well. 

It's finally good to be a Canucks fan again. Under Benning and Weisbrod, we were suffering painfully. The laughing stock of the entire league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KyGuy123 said:

With news pouring in, it looks like a new GM could be hired as early as this weekend. As reported Allvin, Mellanby, Burke, Futa and one other candidate are in the running. Let’s keep all GM/AGM news and articles in one thread. 

Really? This weekend? You know that's tomorrow right? 

That's awfully quick. What are the rumors/reports coming in that would indicate that we'd have a new GM by this weekend? 

3 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

With news pouring in, it looks like a new GM could be hired as early as this weekend. As reported Allvin, Mellanby, Burke, Futa and one other candidate are in the running. Let’s keep all GM/AGM news and articles in one thread. 

I have been hearing on talk shows JR will hire on weekend and announce the following week..With all that's going on with covid etc JR needs his GM now..

I honestly think Allvin has inside track working with JR in Pittsburgh..I like Burke and Mellanby..

New GM and JR have lots of decisions on players and direction..

Miller to Ranger would help Vancouver in longterm with group of players under 24..

Motte UFA - Will demand 2.5 million this summer

Dickinson - Could he be moved?

Boeser RFA 7.5 mill this summer ?  Trade or resign?  - -- 5 yr X 7.5 

Horvat UFA 2023 -- (age, 28 -2023)-  Need to resign 6 X 6.5 to 6.8  million

Trade Miller & Motte  - NYR

Vancouver-- Schneider 20 ,6'2 RD. -Chytil 23, 6'2, C - Burron 23, 6'4, C -- 2nd rounder

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I was looking forward, to executives that had been mentored by Yzerman or Sakic - instead.   Anyways, there is a lot of work that needs to be done, with the team.   

Your comment actually highlights what I feel we need from a front office, and thats big, relevant ex-NHL'rs. 

I wonder if Linden would consider coming back under the new management.  

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm wondering how some will react when Doerrie claims that Lammikko is the best analytics player on the team lol

personally, I'll react by saying, "and that's why analytics on their own are absolutely worthless."

38 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Your comment actually highlights what I feel we need from a front office, and thats big, relevant ex-NHL'rs. 

I wonder if Linden would consider coming back under the new management.  

Both won, captaining there respective team to multiple cups and both are also, from BC.  As for Linden, i don't see him being a fit with JR. 

JR will build his own group, with people he can work with and hopefully, they have some experience, as cup champs. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Both won, captaining there respective team to multiple cups and both are also, from BC.  As for Linden, i don't see him being a fit with JR. 

JR will build his own group, with people he can work with and hopefully, they have some experience, as cup champs.

Rutherford is not relevant as an NHL'r. I want someone in the front office that can talk to the likes of 

Yzerman and Sakic. Those guys dont want to talk to a fuddy duddy they need someone like Linden 

they can relate to. The NHL seems to be trending the way of hiring names that still have celebrity 

power. Messier for GM of the Oilers could happen IMHO.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Rutherford is not relevant as an NHL'r. I want someone in the front office that can talk to the likes of 

Yzerman and Sakic. Those guys dont want to talk to a fuddy duddy they need someone like Linden 

they can relate to. The NHL seems to be trending the way of hiring names that still have celebrity 

power. Messier for GM of the Oilers could happen IMHO.

these guys can still learn from Rutherford.

Imo, Messier did a great job of selling his brand of leadership and as Canucks fans, we saw how that experiment failed miserably.   

I get your point and Messier does have the same credentials, as both Sakic & Yzerman does.  Preferably, I would like to had seen, someone that had been mentored by one of those guys or Tsulky, from Car but to get any of those guys, they have to first be available - not sure, if they were but I never heard there names, as serious candidates.   

I am not really, impress with Allvin, given Pitsburgh track record in the draft, when he was there; and I would had preferred, Gorton overall cause of the way he rebuilt the Rangers, after Sather stepped down.

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/jeff-gorton-is-building-a-great-legacy-with-the-new-york-rangers/

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, Messier did a great job of selling his brand of leadership and as Canucks fans, we saw how that experiment failed miserably.   

I get your point and Messier does have the same credentials, as both Sakic & Yzerman does.  Preferably, I would like to had seen, someone that had been mentored by one of those guys or Tsulky, from Car but to get any of those guys, they have to first be available - not sure, if they were but I never heard there names, as serious candidates.   

I am not really, impress with Allvin, given Pitsburgh track record in the draft, when he was there; and I would had preferred, Gorton overall cause of the way he rebuilt the Rangers, after Sather stepped down.

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/jeff-gorton-is-building-a-great-legacy-with-the-new-york-rangers/

Allvin may be ok as a GM I am certainly not the one to judge if he is or not. But he does not generate 

any buzz for me. I think Linden would be a stellar GM actually.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Allvin may be ok as a GM I am certainly not the one to judge if he is or not. But he does not generate 

any buzz for me. I think Linden would be a stellar GM actually.

I agree, with Linden based on how he built his business from scratch and still not, impress with Allvin based on Pittsburghs' drafting.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Might be a good plan, for the Canucks to - finally - have there own group of executives, that they can recruit from - instead, of constantly restarting when a firing & hiring happens.  Ultimately, it comes down to result(s) - with this current experiment; and unfortunately, it means we will have to let it play out and wait.

Edited by ShawnAntoski