The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Émilie Castonguay as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

28 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I don’t know if the search function on this site isn’t very good or it’s me but I tried to find the discussion from when Chris Gear was hired/promoted to AGM and struck out. I was curious to see what questions people had about ‘his’ qualifications.  I could be wrong but somehow I doubt there was the same level of concern. 

I get so tired of this woke thing. Like there is something wrong with caring enough to be awake? 

It’s a word basically used by those who don’t like it when it’s anyone other then a white male that’s getting attention. They can’t outright say “I don’t like this minority/woman taking the spotlight that should belong to a white man” because they’d be rightly crucified so now they’ve come up with code words to get around it in order to avoid unwanted attention. So they use catchy words like PC, woke, virtue signaling and cancel culture in order to secretly and silently fight to keep the status quo without them actually openly admitting to doing so.

I can’t find the original hiring thread, but here’s the one when Chris Gear got promoted. Very short thread:

https://forum.canucks.com/topic/392561-report-chris-gear-promoted-to-canucks-assistant-general-manager/#comment-15197523

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I really like this hire. 

Not because the person is a specific gender but because they seem to have a great head on their shoulders, and in this age, that’s all I want our team to be chock full of. 

I congratulate Rutherford on the hire and look forward to a good job in CBA and contract management among other things. 

Well done. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

She has a similar resume to Brian Burke.  At 37 Burke was already a GM.  With JR wanting to hire several AGM's, I think she fits the bill to be a good asset on the contract side of the business as well as working with the salary cap for now while she learns the other areas of the business.  

Henrik Sedin must be pretty upset though that she has a jersey with 22 on it.  That might cause some friction in management meetings I would think...  -_-

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

She has a similar resume to Brian Burke.  At 37 Burke was already a GM.  With JR wanting to hire several AGM's, I think she fits the bill to be a good asset on the contract side of the business as well as working with the salary cap for now while she learns the other areas of the business.  

Henrik Sedin must be pretty upset though that she has a jersey with 22 on it.  That might cause some friction in management meetings I would think...  -_-

Rock Star Kangaroo GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

It’s a word basically used by those who don’t like it when it’s anyone other then a white male that’s getting attention. They can’t outright say “I don’t like this minority/woman taking the spotlight that should belong to a white man” because they’d be rightly crucified so now they’ve come up with code words to get around it in order to avoid unwanted attention. So they use catchy words like PC, woke, virtue signaling and cancel culture in order to secretly and silently fight to keep the status quo without them actually openly admitting to doing so.

I can’t find the original hiring thread, but here’s the one when Chris Gear got promoted. Very short thread:

https://forum.canucks.com/topic/392561-report-chris-gear-promoted-to-canucks-assistant-general-manager/#comment-15197523

I found all the questions relating to Emelie being a female a bit cringeworthy.  She answered the first question about it and in no uncertain way let it be known that she didn't think of herself as any different because of her gender.  Then she got asked the same question in a different way a bunch more times.  

While there are people that feel uncomfortable with the change to the status quo, there are also people that want to make everything about the sex or race of a person.  I see where you're coming from, and it's a noble position as long as it doesn't spill too far into hatred for someone because of their race and gender.  You might be surprised but it's not hard to find people that hate white men, especially if you're around Commercial Drive and close to some more socially "progressive" circles.  

Now I've gone a little off-topic here, but I'm happy to see that Emelie's reception has been pretty much universally positive except for 1 or 2 comments out of 200.  

1 hour ago, lmm said:

this really just shows why the Canucks should stop retiring jerseys until someone captains a cup winning team

sorry, but I do not agree with any of the Canuck retired jerseys

ROH ok but retired numbers is stupid

and it brings out stupid comments like the one above

Yeah I don't agree with having so many jerseys retired either although I'm okay with the Sedins.  The talk of retiring Edler's number is ridiculous IMO.  Great player for us, but we can't lower the bar that far. 

7 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah I don't agree with having so many jerseys retired either although I'm okay with the Sedins.  The talk of retiring Edler's number is ridiculous IMO.  Great player for us, but we can't lower the bar that far. 

Fully agree, ROH only for Edler.  It'll be QH who will be the Canucks D-man that will have his # retired.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

I really like this hire. 

Not because the person is a specific gender but because they seem to have a great head on their shoulders, and in this age, that’s all I want our team to be chock full of. 

I congratulate Rutherford on the hire and look forward to a good job in CBA and contract management among other things. 

Well done. 

Well I'd prefer someone who was a nonspecific gender.....but they are coming, I'm sure!;)

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Edler is good for the ROH. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, lmm said:

this really just shows why the Canucks should stop retiring jerseys until someone captains a cup winning team

sorry, but I do not agree with any of the Canuck retired jerseys

ROH ok but retired numbers is stupid

and it brings out stupid comments like the one above

I mean, the arena would be pretty bare. 

But I don’t think retiring jersey’s should be limited to only cup winning teams. The Sedins, I think, deserve their jersey to be raised and retired. They’re great Canucks. Näslund too. I don’t know much about Smyl, so can’t really say. 

Does Luongo’s number deserve to be raised? Edler for sure not. 

15 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

yeah i dont think we should retire his number, but ROH 

31 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I found all the questions relating to Emelie being a female a bit cringeworthy.  She answered the first question about it and in no uncertain way let it be known that she didn't think of herself as any different because of her gender.  Then she got asked the same question in a different way a bunch more times.  

While there are people that feel uncomfortable with the change to the status quo, there are also people that want to make everything about the sex or race of a person.  I see where you're coming from, and it's a noble position as long as it doesn't spill too far into hatred for someone because of their race and gender.  You might be surprised but it's not hard to find people that hate white men, especially if you're around Commercial Drive and close to some more socially "progressive" circles.  

Now I've gone a little off-topic here, but I'm happy to see that Emelie's reception has been pretty much universally positive except for 1 or 2 comments out of 200.  

I agree with you wholeheartedly with most of your post. 

The only disagreement I have is that I don’t think people hate ‘white men’, even on Commercial Drive. That being a euphemism for people of First Nations, I presume. 

I think the  ‘white guy’ has been entitled for so long, that it gets some pushback nowadays. That goes toward entitled and oblivious white women as well, BUT, we should never paint any culture, race( I hate that term as we’re all from the human race), or gender with one stroke of our opinionated brush. 

All cultures have assholes. Assholes are a mainstay/commonality across all genders, cultures, ethnicities, and ages. 

The more accepting, inclusive, and patient to people who aren’t like ‘us’/‘you’, the less of an asshole we/you are. 

And that’s really the best way to be.

That goes for everyone…not just ‘white’ men or women. Whatever ‘white’ means.

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The only disagreement I have is that I don’t think people hate ‘white men’, even on Commercial Drive. That being a euphemism for people of First Nations, I presume. 

I think the  ‘white guy’ has been entitled for so long, that it gets some pushback nowadays. That goes toward entitled and oblivious white women as well, BUT, we should never paint any culture, race( I hate that term as we’re all from the human race), or gender with one stroke of our opinionated brush. 

All cultures have assholes. Assholes are a mainstay/commonality across all genders, cultures, ethnicities, and ages. 

The more accepting, inclusive, and patient to people who aren’t like ‘us’/‘you’, the less of an asshole we/you are. 

I'm not going to assume you're devoid of post secondary schooling within the last decade.

But just in case you missed the ride, 
Commercial Drive is a good blanket derision  for describing white hate as it stands within the CBC(state sanctioned media) and the Tenure track state of Professors that make up the so-called intellectual class of higher academia.
Just observing the basic social environment of the last 2 years, especially in America, warrants a reexamination of what you're implying. Cuz you're implying that for any nation to have an identity that's attached to history and ethnic nationalism, is somehow lesser than a culture that exalts diversity of a materially observable nature, that being the colour of skin, colour of eyes, and colour of hair, in that order of importance. Which is of course attached and bound to genetics. Which is bound to linear historical pathways, ultimately defined by geography and chance.

Edited by snowjunki

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

What constitutes an asshole ? 

Someone who doesn't share our beliefs about how we should treat each other ? 

I like you don't believe in a god however I feel morally impelled to treat others with respect and dignity the way I wish to be treated myself,  however what makes me "right" to believe this ? 

Is this my nature ?

Is it my nurture ?

Is it how my brain is "wired", the neural connections between the different parts of my brain. 

I believe it is a combination of all three. 

All of these factors can be applied to people who do not believe as we do. 

What is their nature ?

How were they nurtured ? 

How are their brains wired ? 

And why are they wired in that certain way ?

The more we label people the more people feel trapped by that label. 

This is one of the reasons why I advocate showing respect and acting in a dignified way to those who do not share my views and not placing labels on them.

As you know I am in total agreement with you about us being all members of one race, the human race. 

I wish more people felt this way. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I like you don't believe in a god however I feel morally impelled to treat others with respect and dignity the way I wish to be treated myself,  however what makes me "right" to believe this ? 

Is this my nature ?

Is it my nurture ?

Is it how my brain is "wired", the neural connections between the different parts of my brain. 

What is their nature ?

How were they nurtured ? 

This is one of the reasons why I advocate showing respect and acting in a dignified way to those who do not share my views and not placing labels on them.

As you know I am in total agreement with you about us being all members of one race, the human race. 

There is only one race - together we stand & divided we fall

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Lots to like about this hire aside from the gender story.

She’s driven, has had a spectrum of experiences in different fields, has been mentored by numerous hockey minds and even though she may already be ready to go on the job and do a good job still has lots of room to grow. These are qualities that will rub off onto others involved with the Canucks organization. 

For us to win championships we need the edge in every aspect. It’s going to be the aggregate of the parts and not any one individual hire that will make that difference.  

As we add more of these different perspectives to the hockey ops team, hopefully it’ll translate into more informed decisions moving forward. 

More importantly for me, research has shown correlation that firms with more women in senior positions are more profitable,more socially responsible, and provide safer higher quality customer experiences- among other benefits   (albeit the research was done in the tech sector).

sounds to me like a winning strategy. 

Edited by Sedinyoureyesontheprize

58 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Is this my nature ?

Is it my nurture ?

What is their nature ?

How were they nurtured ? 

I work with people from the moment they are conceived to the moment they die. 
I can tell you that some people are just assholes from day one, literally. 
Doesn’t change my disposition towards them professionally, personally I just try to limit the time around them, I mean other than spending my time on this board. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1